“Great Little Beach at Lihue Location”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Too bad the Kauai economy has not recovered but this resort still takes care of you with the Aloha spirit. It's relaxing with a great and isolated beach on a beautiful bay. The Beach Club resort has never fully recovered from the hurricane years ago, but they've recently remodeled with more amenities. The staff is great and the food is good. The koi ponds and gardens are beautiful. Kauai is a small laid-back island, so relax and don't be in a hurry.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,852)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

With beautiful grounds and truly gracious staff, this hotel deserves five stars in spite of one really awful experience we had at an in-hotel shop. (More about that in a minute.) We've been here three times, enjoying an otherwordly restful stay in beautiful surroundings. The decor is marble with Chinese statues, and gorgeous tropical gardens -- a change from the "rustic" look of other island resorts.

The highlight is the pool – one of the largest in the islands – vast as a small lake with a bridge to an island in the middle, animal statues with fountains and swim-to hot spas. An open veranda on the floor above looks out over the pool and the bay.

Unlike other big resorts, the Lihue Mariott never feels crowded or claustrophobic – the layout of the pool, across a grass verge from the beach, is wide open, and there are always chairs to be found. From the pool, you walk across a pretty grass lawn to a beach along a quiet (if not very clear) bay. You can also walk into town if you chose.

The atmosphere is low-key; it's plenty romantic for couples like us, but families with little children and the elderly would also be comfortable here. (There is even a handicap-accessible device that lowers people into the vast pool, which we found kind of heart-warming.)

Dining: We had dinner and several breakfast buffets at Kukui’s, the hotel restaurant on the beach – staff were warm and friendly and the food was wonderful. (If you prefer a smaller breakfast there is an a la cart service on the upper veranda at a bar that serves sushi later in the day.) The Kalapaki grill serves lunches and drinks by the pool – the food is ordinary pub fare but the staff, again, make you feel like a welcome guest.

We had a room overlooking the pool and the bay – a lovely view.
Now for the bad experience, which took up a bizarre and nerve-wracking part of two days at the resort. I add this only as a warning, and I'll try to keep it brief.

I wandered in to an in-hotel lobby store called "Tropical Tantrum" when I was right off the plane. I admired a dress and asked the shop clerk if she could hold it as I was jet-lagged and wanted to come in and decide on it later. The clerk said she could not hold it for me; I’d have to buy it to save it, it would probably be gone when I got back, etc. etc. -- so I said never mind. I was about to leave the shop when she said “wait, are you a guest? You can sign for it, and then I’ll hold it here.” So I did, and she put the dress behind the counter.

Long story short, when I returned a few hours later to try the dress on, she produced it from behind the counter where she’d been holding it and said “Oh, you bought it, Honey.” Though the dress had never left the store, she vehemently insisted it was mine, no refunds, no exchanges. When I objected she got very aggressive, said it was out of her hands, it had been charged to the room; I had to go to the hotel front desk to get a “refund.” My husband and I went to the front desk, and they said no problem – nothing had yet been charged to the room. End of story, we thought.

The next day we found the dress's cost, some $170-plus, added to our online room bill, and a message on our room phone from the shop clerk telling us to "come and get your dress." We went back to the Marriott front desk, asked for the manager, who sent us back to the store, where the clerk was still holding the dress and insisted we’d “bought” it, no refunds -- but this time she was (grudgingly) willing to "bend the rules" and exchange it for something the same price.

The sad thing is I’d been ready to buy something nice especially from Tropical Tantrum (they have great outlets elsewhere on the island) but this clerk was so pushy and disrespectful (and weird) that I didn't want to buy anything from them.

Finally it was settled, we got the charge removed from the room, and didn't go near Tropical Tantrum for the rest of the trip. I include the story as a warning for visitors, and a comment to the hotel management – they should be careful to make sure to vet their in-house vendors. As a long-time Marriott customer, I can usually count on the whole resort experience to be relaxing – this was definitely not!

So there you have it -- you'll love this hotel if you stay well away from "Tropical Tantrum."

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gailfromhome
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort for 8 days in Feb 2013 and I can say with an infant, toddler (2) and Kinder (6) is was the best family vacation we have been on so far (we've done Cancun, Costa Rica, and both US Disney's) and I am writing my first review as I was that impressed! The kid pool area is perfect and I did not have to worry about my toddler at all. They loved the slide and you get buckets etc at check-in. The beach was the calmest we saw on the entire island. Loved having the grass in between the hotel and the beach as the kids loved running through it and playing on it during meals and on walks. Loved the nature trails they had! So much for little ones to see and explore and be safe at the same time. The Koi feeding was a daily treat which we could not miss. My only complaint, was trying to find shade throughout the day for the baby. We did rent a cabana next to the pool one day (40 a day) and it was nice to have it. It does just suddenly down pour so you have to be ready for that as well. Having choice of restaurants near the resort was great and the quick trip from the airport and the drive through the golf course was neat. Our room was nicer then I expected and cleaned daily. We did get a car rental and explored the island for a couple days and I thought it was much more beautiful up north (only 45 min drive) but would continue to stay where we were due to the safe beach and kid friendly hotel/pool area. Loved visiting Anani beach and would go there again with the kids. The other kid places highly recommended (Poipu and Lydgate) we did not enjoy but we did like the train ride through the pineapple plantation and the boat ride to the grotto. Anini Beach had nice shade and was beautiful and great snorkeling with the sea turtles right there off shore. If your like me, I don't like to cook on vacation so we did not get a room with a kitchenette at the beach club side and stayed at the regular Marriott and just got food at the restaurants etc and it really was well priced. We often had a quick breakfast in the room, a pool side snack for the kids and ate at happy hour (8-12 per plate about) and we felt like we were able to eat and have fun adult drinks for about 100 a day give or take. I would certainly go back and am looking forward to it! Be sure to check out the north one day as it's so lovely!

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor and your kids can run out on the grass and to the pool but you will miss th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Christina C
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel is a beautiful place with a nice pool area and quiet beach. If you are looking for a more active beach or nice area for snorkeling off shore and a bit more waves, head to Poipu Beach, about 20 minutes away. If you go in Spring, it could be a bit rainy in Lihue, so a hotel a little more south would be better...it's sunnier there. I did not like the $25.00 per day resort fee that is charged automatically. They say complimentary parking but it's included in the resort fee (?). I would eat at any of the locations down the road a bit, in walking distance. Duke's is very good and across the way in Harbor Mall are a variety of shops and restaurants, one being the Feral Pig, which sounds bad but is very good!! (for breakfast, lunch or dinner). I think we would stay at the Marriott again...we didn't have any issues.

Room Tip: we had a pool view room and it was fine...the pool area is beautiful and you can see the ocean and m...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chips57
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The overall experience of the hotel is average to poor and we would not return. For the price paid there are much better options available.
The review is based on a 4 day stay at the resort.

Check-in - Poor
Despite requesting early checking over 9 months prior to arrival the front desk informed us that they did not receive out request and we had to wait until 4 pm to check in. However, checkout is at 11 am hence, you don’t pay for anywhere near a full day.
After checkout the hotel had made charges to our credit card that we were unaware of, they could have at least has the common courtesy to call/email us to inform us of errors (if any).

Rooms – ok
The rooms were clean however, they are dated, smell of bleach and are in need of renovation.

Hotel Grounds – Good
However, the smell is bleach is everywhere.

Pool – Good
Service is slow and the pool area is in need of some renovation however, overall the area is large and he water is clean.

Beach – Good
Small beach however, it was clean and water sports were available.

Parking – good
Self and valet parking was available at a price of $25 per day (which also included wireless internet access).

Gym – good
Equipment needs updating however, there was a lot of choice compared to other hotel gyms.

Food – poor
The quality of the food is poor for the price paid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank devineelle
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Nice looking as you drive up. Nice big property that is very clean. My room was a "standard" and the view was horrible. I looked into a utility area with no view of landscaping or the ocean. I have to say, probably the worst view of any hotel I've been to. I complained and got no where. The rest of the room was on the small side. The bathroom tiny. Overall value was substandard. No opening windows (in Hawaii?) Breakfast is a whopping $30 with tip (Inexcusable in the US). The entire complex is nice, and for a family trip probably a good choice. For me on business and here for a week was not a real good place for me. Lihue is small and this is about as good as it gets unless you have deep pockets for the St. Regis.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Most of the staff is very friendly and accommodating, with the exception of the front desk staff. We were supposed to have a room ready for us when we arrived at 2 PM, but didn't get into it until 4 PM. When you express concern to the front desk about any issues, you're treated with a smile on their faces, but inaction. I travel extensively, so I am usually fairly laid back, but I was perplexed at the lack of service and concern at the front desk. I thought it was just me, but EVERY person in the lobby had issues and they were all met in the same condescending fashion. With that said, the location is great and you simply cannot beat the view and serenity provided by the beach. We enjoyed eating at the Feral Pig across the street and coffee at the Splash Cafe. Would most likely stay at the Marriott again, but not looking forward to the front desk experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnTheLeadLap
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!