“Beautiful property, fabulous service”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Minneapolis
“Beautiful property, fabulous service”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for a week earlier this month with our three kids (ages 9, 9 and 7), and had a great time. We travel a ton and I'm fairly picky about where we stay. Let me address the negative comments I've read....

Airport/helicopter noise - I don't get it. I noticed a few helicopters, yes, but by no means constant and they were barely noticeable. Between the surf and the noise from the fountains in the pool, you could barely hear them. I don't remember even seeing an airplane. And boy, after the 12 hour flight with very tired children, it was fabulous to just buzz right over from the airport.

Pool area - lovely. Plenty of chairs, never had to fight for one. The "cabana" chairs you can reserve with an awning over them were small and yes, were worn. The typical/standard chairs were all in good condition. I don't get the recent comment re: litter. We didn't see any of that. It was clean and well kept. My only complaint is there are no umbrellas. Lots of palms so possible to find patches of shade. But not one umbrella. It was also hard to get a server to notice you (although service was fast once you flagged one down). I'd prefer this to them hounding you anyway.

Pool slide - for those of you with little ones, I know it was hard to tell from the website. It's a nice little 1-2 foot wading pool with one small, straight slide into it. My 9 year olds were bored with it. My 7 year old enjoyed going down it a few times, but mainly stayed in the main pool. More for the 5 and under crowd.

Beach area - lovely. A little shop on the end where you can rent boogie boards. Waves were just right for this for kids ages 9 and 7 - not too strong but big enough to get the feel for it. A little too choppy for beginning snorkelers, but they give you your gear in a bag and you can go elsewhere. No litter to speak of as one recent reviewer complained. It is public so you do have people other than resort guests, but it was never crowded or busy. And we had no problem dragging down the chairs - I think one reviewer said Marriott staff kept making them bring them back up, but we didn't experience that. You wear an armband every day and they can tell you are a guest.

Rooms - we had 2108 and 2109 in Ha'apu (sp?) tower (adjoining rooms). Faced the pool/ocean (pool view IS ocean view here as well, and most rooms have this view). They were well kept and everything, including carpet, seemed new. 2108 was standard 2 double beds and also a chaise lounge. Bathroom is roomy but toilet is not separate. 2109 had same bathroom, but a king bed and then a sofa and coffee table. There was nothing fancy about either, but they did seem slightly more spacious than some standard rooms I've stayed in. Neither were dark, dank, shabby or anything close to that, as one reviewer recently noticed.

Service/check in - we never had a wait to check in. Everyone went out of there way to be friendly and helpful. We asked for a microwave at check in. They guy they called was already bringing it up by the time we got off the elevator at our rooms. All staff we encountered were wonderful.

Odd entry - yes, it is a bit odd to enter and then find a down escalator to take before you get to the lobby. But it never once occurred to me to complain about it or to be bothered about it. It's just unique and not troublesome in any way. The walk isn't that long to the desk - it's just not immediate like some might be used to. Plus you go by a great pond with coy fish and birds that come right up to you. The kids loved it.

Service kudos - my son has a severe, life-threatening nut allergy. I called the hotel and asked them to make note of it on our reservation, not knowing if that would really help anything. But they spoke to the chef, and I later found out discussed it at staff meetings. We were greeted by name at Kukui's for breakfast that morning and they knew all about it, and went above and beyond for his safety (see my separate review of Kukui's if you deal with food allergies). This is unheard of most of the time.

Walking - it IS a large resort and there is a fair amount of walking (particularly to Duke's and Portofino, where you feel like you are leaving property and walking to the next one). We are in our 40's and average shape and had no problems with it at all. I just mention it for those of you who may have difficulty walking for one reason or another, and because I saw it mentioned in some reviews.

Roosters - although they are on the grounds where you drive in, I never once saw one on property once you got to the check in area. None on beach or by pool. And we never heard them crowing in the a.m. like I think one reviewer complained.

One disappointment was that it was frequently cloud and cool by late morning/early afternoon. It was start out sunny and beautiful, then consistently every day would get cloudy and cool. Maybe it was just a bad week...although when we went to Poipu, it was sunnier in the afternoon (maybe a fluke). We got the feeling that it is just sunnier in Poipu than in Lihue, but I really don't know that for sure.

My only true disappointment was the LACK OF AFTERNOON COFFEE!!!! What kind of resort doesn't have a coffee bar? They had one open in the mornings and you could get a latte, etc., but then they would close it right away, like around 10am. If you wanted afternoon coffee, about all you could get was a cup from the pool bar that I think might have come out of a press pot/thermos things. Would it really be that hard to keep the espresso bar open?! I have never stayed at a resort without one before. So, for those of you coffee lovers out there, know that you'll have to leave the property to get your Starbucks (unless you can be happy with the coffee pot in your room).

All in all, it was a great experience and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank 5ExpatsInAsia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dewey, Arizona
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel is very close to the airport. You only drive a view blocks and you are there. It is a very beautiful resort and all the people were very friendly. It has the open-air entry way and check-in was easy. By the way, they have the only heated pool in Kauai and that really makes a difference. The beach was very nice as well. You can watch the cruise ships come in from across the channel or watch the surfers all through the day.The drinks are expensive but it is Hawaii. The resort amenities include a bell desk/valet, front desk, a welcome desk, a concierge desk, pool hut, kid's pool, Lu'au gardens, men's/women's changing rooms, fitness center, laundry facilities, business center, and barbeque grills. They also have Dukes and Portofino's for dining in the evening. There is the Kalapaki Grill next to the pool for food and drinks. There is a sushi bar and the Akupaka Terrace for early continental food. For breakfast there is at Kukui's which opens at 7:00am. The breakfast buffet was awesome. They also serve dinner there. On Friday's, there is all you can eat Prime Rib and Crab. We ate at all of the places so here is what we came up with. Kukui's for breakfast can't be beat. Also, their Friday night Prime Rib and Crab is to die for. The Kalapaki Grill is good for lunch and makes great drinks. Portofino is OK but I have had better Italian food at the Olive Garden. Dukes is the place to eat for dinner. Make sure to make a reservation otherwise you will wait about 45 minutes. Go upstairs if you want to eat, down stairs if you want to drink. There is a $25 resort fee which includes your parking and Internet. They have many stores and shops. Go to Lamont's Gift and Sundry and buy your groceries & essentials. The pool is very large and is only about 4 ft. deep. It has many hot tubes located around it. Some of the activities at the hotel include, flower lei making, necklace class, hula lessons, koi feeding, uku lele lessons, aerobic classes, tennis, and watersports.

Our room was fantastic with a great view of the pool and the ocean and a large 55" flat screen TV. Our patio had some great lounge chairs to relax in.

We went in Feb (Winter). During this time, be prepared for rain. It rained a lot but did not stop us from enjoying ourselves and seeing the sites. The seas can be rough during this time. We went on a 4 hour zodiac trip and the seas had from 5-10 swells. Half the boat got sick. The only way to see Kauai is a helicopter ride. They are expensive but worth it.

Here are some pros and cons for this hotel:

Pros:
- Large TV
- Great Location
- The only heated pool in Kauai
- Many Hot Tubs
- Great Beach Area
- Good food at Dukes and Kukui's
- Laundry Facilities
- Immaculant Resort
- Friendly Help
- Good Shops

Cons:
- Business Center cost money
- No Movie channels on TV (HBO, etc)
- No Micro-wave (food portions always too much but have to throw it away)
- Resort Fee

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ha'upu Towers, room 1713. We had views of the garden, the entire resort and the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Larry M
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Parts of this resort were really very lovely. Once you get past the initial entryway with a very steep escalator, it becomes quite pretty, with a nice pond and fish and some great birds! It is a long walk to the front desk, though! We had no line and the service was great. The type of room we had asked for was not initially available but the clerk asked us to wait for an hour and she got us the room we wanted. She was efficient and polite.

The room itself was ok. Typical Marriott - certainly nothing special that made it "resort-like," but sufficient for our needs. It was certainly clean. We paid for a garden room but actually had a lovely view of the ocean and the pool.

The pool area is nice and we had no problems with chairs, etc. The beach is not huge but it is nice, although the volleyball nets set up right in the middle meant that it wasn't exactly quiet or relaxing all the time.

They did offer a nature walk which was lovely. It's free and well worth doing and for our group it included seeing a lot of whales!

We were offered a free "welcome packet," but could never collect it because the desk was either vacant or backed up. I realize it was being used as a sales tool for their time shares but they shouldn't offer something and not have the staff to deliver.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BunnyGirl1957
Palm Harbor Florida, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The beach front here is lovely but the lounge chairs and pool area are littered with dirty dishes and used wrappers. The pool/beach area staff is pleasant, when you manage to flag one down. To say the service is slow is a vast understatement. The Restaurants, with the exception of Dukes were standard Marriot, over priced mediocre quality and uninspired.

Our room, for this level of resort was tired, needed new carpet etc. The concierge was forever busy, and less than enthusiastic. We stood in line at check in for over twenty minutes, yet there was only three parties ahead of us in the que, very frustrating start to a vacation. Thankfully we only stayed here two nights then moved to significantly better staffed and appointed resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaycee767
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I joined my husband for a business trip at the end of January. I was very disappointed when we first arrived at MKR because, I asked him to book Marriott Poipu. However, I also got a chance to visit Poipu Marriott, and I was very happy about the mistake. I will get into that in a minute.
Yes, the hotel, food, gas, and everything else was expensive, but so is the rest of Hawaii. The MKR's grounds are beautiful. I loved the Koi pond, McCaws, Lushious greenery, Pools, and Hot tubs. We stayed on the sixth floor with a King sized bed, overlooking the ocean. The bed was comfortable, linens were plush and cozy. The room somewhat dated, but very clean. I am the one that Carries handsanitizers and wipes. Had a fridge in the room, which was nice for the lay's, wine and beer that can be purchased in gift shop or the ABC store that is a block and a half off property. Hotel has many amminities and accommodations. Lihue is centrally located on the island, and the MKR is within walking distance to many shops, and restaurants. Dukes is connected to MKR, and was our absolute favorite. Because hubby does a lot of driving and sightseeing for his job, we had a rental car. We drove to Marriott Poipu beach one day, to check it out. Our Concierge was very friendly and knowledgeable of resorts. She gave us a map with directions right to Marriott Poipu. We rented snorkel equipment, and had lunch at this resort. While sitting in hot tub, a gentleman was close to passing out. We ran, got some ice, alerted staff, he was ok, I think he dropped his blood pressure. While waiting for our lunch with our beeper in lawn chairs, security started questioning weather or not we were guests. I explained, showed him maps that concierge gave us from MKR, proved our stay at MKR. He states that Marriott Poipu lawn chairs were for Their guests only. I was highly irritated. Told him fine, after we have our lunch we will leave. Also explained that we ordered lunch, and rented equipment. We were not looking for a free ride. And, I just helped a guest out in the hot tub. More than security staff was doing. So, we finished our lunch and left. The grounds were not as pretty as MKR either. I was very happy to return to MKR. The booking mistake was much in my favor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TargetDude
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 21, 2013

booked for a destination wedding on the island. Room was small, dank and musty. one member of party had to be moved, the floor was wet from broken AC equipment. The entrance is just weird. People are struggling down a huge escalator with baggage. The wait to check in took a long time.
Fitness center hasn't been updated in a very long time. Food prices are quite high.
The spa is very, very small.

Room Tip: this is a big hotel, you can end up near an elevator or by a large group very easily. be prepared to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Apsaramaiden
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Be prepared to blow the cobwebs out of your wallet when you stay here. The rooms are large and very clean. Service staff friendly. Lots of places to eat nearby and the beach location is stunning and the pool is fabulous. Resort fee of $25 per day for parking and Internet. We had an ocean view and loved it.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!