“No Trouble in Paradise”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Portland, Oregon
“No Trouble in Paradise”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Our four night stay here was effortless. Everything is close and comfortable. The location on the bay is serene and natural even though it is an active port. The golf courses are steps away from the hotel and the roads that run through them are great for jogging or walking. I liked the fact I could rent a stand up paddle board and head out into the bay without much concern for big surf. While the bay does have some waves, and folks do surf, there is a lake-like quality that makes SUP a delight. We rented a car through an online broker and were able to pick it up at the hotel which was convenient and cheap.

Our room was on the 11th floor and the higher floors have the better views over the palm tree grove that surrounds the pool. The pool is huge and there was never a shortage of places to lounge and relax. Service was attentive without a sales edge and we enjoyed food and drinks poolside. We also ate at the poolside restaurant one night and the food was nicely done.

It really is close to the airport but you don't have all that air traffic noise. Be sure to travel around the island and see the sites. No shortage of activities on land, water or air. Early mornings on the hotel terrace were a delight with free wifi to connect to the outside and a fresh cup of Hawaiian coffee. Great way to start the trouble-free day in paradise...

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room above the 7th floor for a great view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jay r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We have stayed numerous times at this hotel. If you are combining stays at another property on Kauai, the Marriott is an excellent "first night" experience on the island. A quick drive from the Lihue airport, one can deplane and be into the resort atmosphere (pool and a cocktail--I recommend thebeach bar's "Tai Chi") in a very short period of time. The rooms are gorgeously appointed, with comforatble beds and island decor. We had a pool-view room on our most recent stay, which actually had stunning views of the beach and harbor. What I think is most special about this hotel is the grand amount of open property suurounding the hotel buildings. There are grand lobbies to relax in, and a large koi pond (with koi feeding for the kids; mine went nuts.) The only negative thing that I can say about the hotel is that I don't think it's on the most stunning beach on the island. We usually unwind at the Marriott, and then spend some time in Poipu or Hanalei. But if you enjoy the elegance and servie of a large resort, you won't be disappointed here. Great restaurants, too. Easy vacationing, which is why it has so frequently beckoned us to return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank copeym
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed here on a "Day Pass", which allowed me to use the pool and facilities for the day and take a nap and shower in the hotel room before my flight later in the evening. Well worth the $109 fee if you have a late departure out of Lihue. The fee includes a room (check-out by 8PM) and a card good for 2 beach towels and access to the pool and beach.

The hotel is an older property, but very well kept and the hotel grounds are beautiful. The one exception: the dark and dreary looking hallways. Otherwise, my room was clean and looked new and nicely updated, with modern furniture, comfortable bed, large LCD TV, desk and a safe. The separate shower/toilet area was VERY small however. Just entering and closing the door was a very tight squeeze.

The main attraction here is the beautiful circular swimming pool, with an island in the middle. The pool is heated and only 4 feet deep all around. There are also 5 hot tubs, each with a different temperature setting. The pool area was clean and there were lots of lounge chairs available, and you could rent cabanas also (around $35-$50 depending on the size). There are also chairs set up along the beach as well. The water at the beach was a bit cool, but relatively calm and shallow, with a sandy bottom. Not the best beach I've been too, but clean and convenient and perfectly safe and enjoyable.

I noticed that the hotel offers a free shuttle service to the airport (about a mile away, but you'd never know it) so if you're flying to Lihue just to stay at the resort, you wouldn't even need a car. The restaurants and shops around the hotel are expensive though, so be prepared for that.

All the resort staff I met at this hotel, especially the front desk personnel, were pleasant and friendly. Overall, this hotel stay was a perfect end to a great vacation in Kauai and is highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BeachBumChris
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This third stay here was as good as or better than the first...something we seldom experience. This hotel resort is wonderful. The service, friendliness, helpfulness, furnishings (recently upgraded), decoration, plants, trees, design, and pools are great. The hotel's restaurant is very good and the drinks and food on the terrace are also high grade. They had the best scones (the very buttery, not giant raised kind) we have ever had along with the best of fruits. Much better than any other Marriott or resort we have visited. A great place to chill out.

Room Tip: We always have had the partial ocean view and it works quite well. If you are not spending much tim...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kell28
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Rooms are beautiful with all the gadgets a person might need in the kitchens. Kingsize beds, huge bathrooms, gas grills for cooking that fresh fish. Bar at the beach with good service and great food. Lots of whale watching, snorkeling and swimming.
This hotel would get a 5 if it weren't for the work crew doing work outside our open windows at 6 AM. They also don't know when to quit with the annoying weed wacking machines. Then there are the wild chickens that start crowing about 4 AM. I had thoughts of chicken stew every single morning!!!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are great as we had the ability to walk right out from the patio. Rooms near the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marylou44
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon and had a really nice stay. The hotel is good, nothing really exceptional to note. Kauai is so beautiful so you can’t really go wrong with where you stay!

The pool area was nice, and it may have been a fluke – but I did not go in the pool after what I saw floating in it the first day. It’s a big pool, I get it – it probably isn’t reasonable that it be 100% clean all the time, but I couldn’t get it out of my head and did not go in after the first day.

I really liked the beach area – some of the other beaches I went to on the island I was intimidated by the waves and didn’t go in the water much, but being set on an inlet the wanes are much more manageable at this beach. I also was able to paddle board which was great.

The food at the resort was good but pricey, a short walk will take you to Dukes which was our favorite place to eat the ten days we were there.

There were a few things the property could have done to stand out – I know they are a resort property and have different rules for upgrading elite members, although I was hoping as a gold elite on my honeymoon travelling during a very slow time that I would be upgraded at least to an ocean view room. I inquired on check in and was not upgraded, was a little irritated while chatting with the bar tender later in the week and he was telling me how occupancy was incredible low that week. I don’t mean to sound entitled, I just am normally upgraded at other properties.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Higbie
Maryland
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Spacious one bedroom unit with view of fabulous pool and cove/ocean. The hotel buildings are concrete 60s style, but the rooms and facilities are all updated Marriott style, and the grounds and pool are fabulous. (I never thought I'd say that about a pool at a large resort...) When this property was a Westin, someone had some grandiose plans and the statuary and gardens around the koi pool reflect that. Runners and walkers can go up a hill to the lagoons/golf course area (and pilings for a Ritz Carlton project that fizzled) for a beautiful location to work out.

WiFi not available in rooms due to concrete construction, but you can sit on the veranda by the pool and connect to your heart's delight! Staff were all very courteous and helpful.

Lihue is centrally located, but the main road north and west is under construction, so we spent some time in traffic, not our favorite vacation activity.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarylandMreed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!