“Wonderful week in Kauai”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Orange, California
“Wonderful week in Kauai”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Just spent a wonderful week in an ocean front, two room timeshare villa that was newly renovated. The resort as a whole is absolutely beautiful!! Amazingly huge heated pool and multiple jacuzzi spas. The koi pond outside the lobby is a must see especially at 9:00am feeding time. Staff could not have been more helful and nice. Location is centrally located on the island and really close to the airport, but never heard any airplane noise at all. Dukes Restaurant is a great place to eat. There are a lot of roosters and chickens on the whole island, so get used to seeing them everywhere...we thought they were charming.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front room instead of ocean view. We were on 7th floor so great ocean views above tre...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CharlotteKL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is my most favorite place in Hawaii. Nothing but the best hotel staff to help you relax and enjoy.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We just got back early this morning from a wonderful week on Kauai.... homebase was the Kauai Marriott in Lihue and for the most part I was very happy with the hotel. The decor was lush and green with a beautiful asian/thai motif. Sculptures and wonderful gardens throughout.

My husband and I traveled with our 9 and 2 yr. olds and felt that the resort met most of our needs. We spent a week at The Grand Wailea earlier this year and felt the two resorts were comparible in may aspects. Great beach directly in front of the property, great pools too. (yes, our 9 yr. old liked The Grand Wailea better because of the slides but he had a good time here too.) The fact that the pool was 4 ft. deep and I could keep an eye on him pretty much wherever he was swimming was a bonus for me. The waterslide and kiddie pool kept my 2 yr. old busy for hours. Bring some diving toys or pick up some inflatable toys at the hotel gift shop for the older kids. The fountains weren't very entertaining for them. We picked up some inflatable stuff at Walmart on the island and the items they sold at the gift shop were about the same price....wish we looked there first.

Room Comments: The colors were beautiful...just like in the photos. Our room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job. The bathroom design was very strange......
There was a sliding door that separated the hallway from the bathroom and once you opened it you could look into the little toilet space and the vanity area that shared the space with the tub. We didn't like the fact that the person going to the restroom had no privacy if somebody else had to grab something out of the bathroom. So if my husband was going to be awhile he went over to the restroom next to the "towel shack." Coffee maker was on the bathroom counter too...made things very crowded. Bath and Body Works shampoo and conditioner worked alright for the week. The room did have a humid/musty smell when we were gone for the day and came back in....but seemed to dissipate pretty quickly. Keep in mind we did request a ground floor room so that may have been the reason. That said, we were in room 1505....and if we go back we will be requesting that room again. I think we got the most beautiful spot there. It is a garden view and opens up to the patio which is surrounded by 10-15ft ginger plants all in bloom. It reminded me of a place we stayed in the jungle in Panama. BEAUTIFUL. I will post a photo...which doesn't do it justice. We weren't really interested in fighting for the ocean view...seems after spending the extra money we are always left a little dissapointed so when I saw a picture of a garden room on some promotional website...that was what I wanted. My 9 yr. old went gecko hunting in the evenings and even found two huge toads back there in the ginger plants. There is a pathway to an open area we discovered some people having a picnic on one day too. I can't say how tickled I was by our outdoor paradise. I wish I could grow some ginger here in Seattle. I will upload a photo...but it just doesn't do it justice....

Don't miss out on the feeding of the koi at 9am every morning...it is a huge frenzy (not people, the fish) and have your camera ready. They come out of the water and up on the ledge of the pond.

Tips on saving some money......
We did the breakfast buffet the first few mornings...it was over 65+ for the four of us and not very exciting. By 9am all the papaya was gone...no yogurt that didn't contain HCFS..enough said. We ended up eating at the breakfast "bar" at the top of the stairs. It ended up costing us 20-25 each day. Get a small coffee and you get a free refill. The bread pudding is great and if you get there early enough they have croissant breakfast sandwiches for 4.

Dukes was great...we liked the downstairs atmosphere and food better. Order their nachos to go....HUGE for only 10. We got two orders and shared them with the kids for dinner and couldn't finish them. When you order them in the restaurant...the order isn't so big. They make it to fit the plate it appears and the to-go container is much bigger. I think for 2 more you can get the kalua pork on the nachos. This is the cheapest place to get fufu kids drinks. My son loved the Volcano. 5.95 at Dukes, 8:95 at Kukis and 8.50 at the pool bar. Nice live music in the lower portion of Dukes in the afternoon and evening. The torches come on in the pm...great fun.

Ask housekeeping if they have any extra boogie boards or pails and shovels for the kids. We got both to use for free for the week and then just left them there for the next people to use. Housekeeping keeps them and will bring them to your room if they have any. I think the gift shop sells the pail and shovel for 5 or 6 dollars if housekeeping doesn't have any.

Take a look in the hotel gift shop near the back for snacks and drinks...much better priced than the abc store people were carting things back from. If you want to drive...there is a Costco ...(leave the resort and take a left). Some people would swing by there and grab lunch or dinner to take for a picnic.

We took a local farm tour on our last day based on what this lady and her husband were saying and are so glad we did. We went to Kunana Dairy that is an organic goat dairy and organic fruit and vegetable grower. The tour lasted about 2.5 hrs and the kids loved it. They got to hold the newborn baby goat, feed the goats, eat lots of cookies and breads baked with products from the farm and sample the many varieties of fruits that were in season. Oh, I forgot the chickens....they were a hit too. It was 35.00 per adult and the kids were free. Oh....and the tour ends with these heavenly samples of chevre cheese. Next time we will swing up and get the cheese on our first day so we can enjoy it the entire vacation. My favorite was the passion fruit chevre. I wish I had tried the chapstick I picked up before I left or I would have gotten more...it tops anything I have been able to find at my local co-op or Whole Foods.

- Last tip...Lapperts Icecream...WOW. A girlfriend who lived in Maui for a few years told me about this place. (this is the Hawaiian Lapperts...not the mainland chain.) Well I went for the Kona Blue Makua coffee she told me was out of this world...YES...she was so right. Taste it black before you add any cream or sugar..I didn't think you needed any. We ended up driving up to Princeville three times for coffee ...well the rest of my family couldn't get enough of the icecream. My husband who is really into good icecream said it is possibly the best he has had. Don't let the price deter you from trying the coffee, I ended up buying four bags of coffee to take back home. Right before we left we heard there was a Lapperts in the Coconut Shopping Center on the right side of the road on your way to Kappa.

The only "issue" we had was more of a human sort. About 4 days after we arrived some people checked into the connecting room next door to us. Our issue wasn't with noise but with the strong smell of marajuana that suddenly seemed to permeate our room. Initially we couldn't figure out where it was coming from but soon discovered it was coming under and around the door from next door. I mentioned something to housekeeping about the smell and wondered what they would say. Well....after talking to housekeeping, the security person that housekeeping sent over and then the front desk person over the next two days...I found out all about The Marriotts smoking policy. It is something like this....there is to be no smoking at the hotel... there is a fine....but first they have to give them a warning....but get this...it all hinges on them being seen smoking. Well both the housekeeper and the security person agreed it smelled like pot...but since the do not disturb sign was on the door and the curtains were drawn on the patio, they couldn't actually see them smoking. So the only action I could see was on my part....a wet towel on the floor at the base of the door helped a little. Had I known nothing would change I would have pushed for a different room while we had 3 days left...instead I wasted two days waiting for them to move the smokers or get them to stop smoking in the room. When I realized they weren't going to do anything we were set to leave the next day and the thought of packing up our gear, just to repack it again the next day seemed like a waste of time. Dissapointing lack of management.....
- In retrospect, simply asking them to smoke outside wouldn't have worked because they refused to open the door to anyone...I should have slipped a note under the door asking them not to smoke. Didn't occur to me. I guess I figured that the hotel personnel wouldn't have wanted the room smelling like that and would have done more to protect their property.

All in all, we had a wonderful trip, I think Kauai is my new favorite island and we will definately be back.

5 Thank AngieYepez
Northfield, IL
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed for one night and wished we could have stayed a week or two longer. The grounds are spectacular, the room was comfortable and clean with an excellent view. The staff was friendly and professional. You have to see the lobby. Spectacular yet tasteful. We enjoyed eating in the outdoor restaurant by the pool next to the torches. But if you can get one of the alcoves, that's an experience. The beach is great and just a short walk to town. I can go on about this place, but it's one of the best hotels we've been to. Highly recommended.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My family and I just returned home from our 2 week stay at the Marriott Kauai Resort. We were a bit concerned traveling to this hotel after reading many of the reviews, fortunately, we did not encounter any of the bad experiences people wrote about. We were able to stay on Marriott points so we were very concerned that we would receive the worse hotel room the property had to offer ... not so, when we checked in (late on Tuesday Night) we were upgraded to a full pool / partial ocean view. We were very happy with the room but I did call the next morning asking if they had a room a bit larger since we were staying for 2 weeks (we have 4 people in our family). The front desk informed us they didn't have a suite but had an extended room which had full ocean view. My husband and I decided to look at the room prior to moving - it was excellent. It was larger plus the ocean view was excellent - it made waking up and drinking coffee on our patio during every morning sunrise one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Cleanliness / Cleaning service - We had no issues with our room being dirty it was very clean. We also asked for extra blankets and pills received within 10 minutes of the call. We also requested a microwave for our room this was delivered again very quickly.

Parking - yes I have to agree with many the parking is expensive but you are on a small island and being charged for parking happens. We left every day for either day trips and/or dinner but never had a problem finding a parking space - the parking lot is only a couple minute walk from your hotel room.

Staff - front desk staff and concierge where helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Can't say enough about everyone and their attentiveness to your needs and comfort of your stay.

Pool - WOW is all I can say it was a great way to end our day. The hot tubs were comfortable - my husband and son loved the second hot tub which is kept a little cooler then the rest. We had our towels taken one day while we were in the pool all I did was talk to the person at the pool hut ... no issues they just gave me 4 new towels.

Restaurants - the ones on site are very expensive. But if you go to the Barefoot Restaurant under Dukes it has good food and reasonable prices plus they have happy hour 4 - 6 pm very good prices and excellent Mia Tia's. We found an ideal place for breakfast and lunch "The Beach Hut" - follow the path to Dukes but pass Dukes you will run right into the stores a couple of restaurants one which is the Beach Hut. Great prices and good food and great service.

I hope the review helps you while making your choice to stay in Kauai.

(From Wisconsin - We stayed December 2011)

Room Tip: Pick the 5th floor or higher for a better view. Pick a room not next to the elevators.
8 Thank 4fromWI
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This used to be the Westin Kauai many years ago. Not much has changed, by my recollection. Everything is right here-spa, restaurants, night life, pool, beach, awesome Hawaii views, and everything else within very short distances. I was very impressed with how friendly, hospitable, and accommodating all the staff were. Checking in was a little more involved than the average. First is valet where you wait to get your reservations verified and assistance with luggage, then down the long escalator, down the hall and another short couple of steps to the lobby to check in. I thought the rooms were very nice. We had a studio beachfront. Very clean, nice bath nestled in marble. Room service is very expensive, but very good. This is an absolutely gorgeous resort, laid out nicely, makes for a special vacation on the Garden Isle of Kauai.

Room Tip: If you are like us and not planning to spend a lot of time in the room and watching your budget, the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2011

for a hotel it is wonderful. you have everything you need plus everything else you need close by. dukes restuarant, abc store, beach, sailing, kayaking, fishing, golfing, hiking and way to many things tolist. they have updated the rooms in the last couple of years and is a great place to vacation. love, love this spot in kauai.

Room Tip: higher rooms have better view facing the bay.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trlopez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!