“Great for what it is”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We discovered Kalapaki Joe's towards the end of our trip in October. We ate there are for dinner and returned the next day to sit and watch football for most of the day (too much sun). My husband and I thought this place was great for what it was - bar food. I would not recommend this place for anyone wanting to experience gourmet food or a nice romantic dinner, but it was a great place to get bar food, and the bar food tasted great. Plus, we found to to be extremely easy on the wallet, which was a relief after dining out all week in Kauai and having to spend a ton of money on each meal. So we recommend Kalapaki Joe's as a great place to go to watch sports and eat good bar food. (They were also extremely accomodating in pleasing each of their customer's TV requests - despite the World Series being on, they turned on a TV for us so we could watch two mediocre SEC football teams play.)

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Get used to slow service in Hawaii - it is the norm when you venture off of the resorts. Kalapaki Joes needs to put a greater emphasis on bussing their tables as there were several open tables that were a mess. That being said, the service was fine once it arrived. We were waited on by the bartender who was also waiting tables on the deck area. The inside was way too hot to eat and no one was in there. The food, especially the pulled pork sandwich was excellent. Drinks were not watered down. Overall, the value for the price in Hawaii was good to great. Plates are $8 - $15. Drinks are average.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We entered and had to ask do we seat ourselves and waited over 10 minutes for menus. We ordered iced tea and placed our food order of a pastrami sandwich and tempura shrimp. The shrimp batter was tough and I was not able to even bite into the shrimp. I eventually removed the crust and ate the shriveled little shrimp inside. The pastrami sandwich was dry and tough to chew. Our biggest peeve of the evening was that even though we asked we were never given silverware or napkins and eventually had to ask for the check. Needless to say, we will not recommend and will not return. We have been on the island 4 times and was more curious as the restaurant is around the corner from our vacation condo.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Has decent atmosphere and beach/water view (from across the street). Food was average - nothing to write home about. We tried the boneless buffalo wings - the sauce tasted like Frank's Red Hot. The ribs were full of small bones and clearly boiled - not smoked at all. The fish tacos were pretty good but definitely not the best I have ever had. There was live music while we were there which was actually really good. We tipped the musicians before they left. Service was okay. Our waitress seemed a little more interested in how she looked than waiting on us. No big complaints but I wouldn't recommend making it a point to go here.

Reviewed July 10, 2010

First, when we walked in no one was there to seat us, and then when someone did seat us, the table was a mess. Spilt drinks and food scraps. If took them ten minutes to come by and clean it, and when we ordered, they got my order wrong. I ordered seafood pasta, no fish or scallops, just shrimp. They gave me buttered noodles with shrimp that looked like it had been through a blender. THe pasta did not even have the tomatoes or mushrooms. After this, they said they would give me a 'discount' on something else. So I ordered a cheeseburger. It wasnt great, and wasnt bad. But my fellow table mates complained on their food being burnt, chewy, bland, and grosse to eat. I would not reccomd this place, but across the stree it a great place called "Dukes" and also "The burger shack". THese places have better food and prices! (Also, there is not 'ocean view'. You can see a little water, but it's not the ocean, it's man made harbor.)