“totally awesome!”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed September 18, 2010

This has to be the best value on the island. Amazing service. They squeeze every possible amenity into their rooms. The service and friendliness is the best I have ever experienced including those from 5 star hotels. Every nook & cranny has something charming. They truly care about every one of their guests. The location couldn't be better; restaurants, shops and a great beach. I'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taggyPhoenix

Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed here our first and last night (2 nights), and camped the rest (4 nights) simply because we were on a budget and would rather spend $ on great food and things to do than fancy accommodations. The owner/staff at the Garden Island Inn were extremely friendly and helpful. They even let you borrow equipment, towels, coolers etc. We borrowed towels the first day because we got in late and didn't want to pack them, then bought some cheap ones from Wal-mart while we were camping the rest of the week and then gave our Walmart towels to the Garden Island inn for others to use when we left.

The first night we had a ground floor which was clean and had a comfy bed and even AC!! The last night we stayed on the second floor and had a partial Nawiliwili Bay view and the balcony was nice to hang towels and wet stuff on. It also had AC which we only used at night (we are from Alaska and like it chilly). The hotel is surrounded by beautiful vegetation and a water fountain in the back of the hotel that is just wonderful to listen to. All of the doors and other areas are hand painted and it just gives the place such a nice beach feeling without being overdone or gaudy.

We walked across the street to eat at Duke's, which is part of the Marriott and could also walk across the street to lay on the beach, play volleyball or rent paddle boards etc. There are places very close to buy souvenirs etc. We paid about $115 for each night, which is actually a deal compared to what you pay everywhere else. Out of all the BUDGET hotels in Kauai, this is the best one. I spend lots of time researching just to stay 1-2 nights and after going and staying, I would recommend this to family and friends. If you're really on a budget, camping is awesome, just go to the parks and rec website for Kauai and print out the info for each camp location so you know when they are open-closed during the week for maintenance. FYI-Northshore camping is the best.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AKtravelista
Reviewed August 4, 2010

At the beginning I just wanted to stay a few nights in the Garden Island Inn and than go to the most promoted beaches in the south and north of the island Kauai. Instead of just a few days, I decided to stay all my time on Kauai in this hotel and close to Kalapaki Beach. First of all, it is really a lovely hotel with a lush garden, where you can hear the wind in the trees and smell the closed by ocean. The rooms are spacy and equipped in a nice Hawaiian style. Each corner of the hotel has it's surprise: amazing paintings from Camile Fontaine (thank you Steve for giving me the opportunity to meet her), plants and flowers, waterfalls, where you would never expect, the fish pond with the colorful koi fishes, ... And Steve and his staff is simply gorgeous. The region Kalapaki Beach is definetely undervalued. You find such nice and clean beaches in a walking distance. Even, when you want to see a lot of the island, this place combines central location as well as beautifull beaches, a great variety of restaurants and shops, day spa and more ... I am already looking forward visiting Kauai and staying in Steve´s Garden Island Inn. Thank you for the great time!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Birgit1309
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I totally disagree with the description of this hotel as a dungeon. We stayed for six days from July 21 to 27. We had a room on the third floor. Tremendous value. Because there is a kitchenette, we basically stayed for free because of what we saved on meals. We love to swim long distances and there is a great swimming beach across the street. We really appreciated the free beach supplies. The view is not great but neither is it terrible. The room had so much natural light. 3 sets of patio doors and at least five other windows (not a dungeon). Nice spot because it easy to drive to both the north and the south ends of the island. We went down to Poipu every night to watch the sunset and it was only a half hour drive. Favourite beach was Lydgate State park. Really nice swimming area and a really long and exposed beach for long walks. Staff are very kind and helpful. I do have on criticism and that is the lack utensils in the kitchenette. We ate simple meals of bagels and salads and a couple of larger spoons for mixing salads and a serrated knife for cutting bagels would have been nice to have.

2  Thank Beachcomber10
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Service: was GREAT. The nice lady that checked us in was SOoooo friendly and happy. The location across from Kalapki Beach was very nice. There were restaurants within easy walking distance. The staff REALLY make this place.

BEDS: were really comfy and the rooms are fun - no standard Hotel paint scheme here. Traffic Noise: The little windows were open to help cool the room so I heard light traffic noise all nite. I'm a light sleeper. Not much the hotel can do about that - guests just have to close the windows to sleep.

Atmosphere: was Soooo quieting and calming for the mind and body. We found ourselves almost whipsering while walking around looking at the fish and plants.

Value: price seemed a little high for just a room with beds. The $10/person extra was a little much. I didn't check anywhere else because the hotel was near the airport and I needed a place to stay for one night. I don't know how it compares to any other place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank OnMyBoat120
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed at the Garden Island Inn for four nights. We had reservations and arrived at about 8:30 am. We did not expect the room to be ready then and it wasn't. The owner was real nice and told us the room would be ready by 2 pm and told us about some sights we could see while we waited for the room to be cleaned. When we came back at 2 we were told that the room was still being cleaned and that we should come back in an hour. So we walked down to the shore and killed an hour. When we came back we were told that he thought the room was still being cleaned, but he would check. He came back and told us it was ready. We checked into the stuffy room and I turn on the AC. The tile floors were so dirty that the soles of your feet became brown after a few steps. One window was small and frosted so you could not see out of it; the other was covered by metal strips. You could only see out of that window when it was opened and we couldn't open that window because the AC was on. We felt as though we were in a dungeon. There were garish painting on the walls. There was a table by the bed that was smeared with some oily substance and had strands of hair in it. When my wife took a shower she was frightened by a large spider. When we told a woman at the desk about it later she said those spiders kill mosquitoes. Well THAT spider won't kill any more mosquitoes. When we went to sleep on the first night there were some people who began talking outside the room at about 11 pm. At 1 am my wife asked them to quiet down and they did. We tried to stay out of the room as much as possible.
On the good side, the owner Steve was very nice and had lots of suggestions of things to do and knew the island very well. In the office he had coffee, cookies, and lots of equipment that he would allow you to borrow while you were at the Inn. We borrowed a folding chair and two beach towels and used them while there. When we had checked into the room there were two single beds. I moved a table out from between them and moved them together. After that the maids changed the single bed sheets out with king size and that was nice. It is a nice central location on the island and has lots of pretty places to visit within walking distance.

3  Thank DarthSpader
Fishin087, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2010

Aloha DarthSpader I am truly sorry to read your review of my Garden Island Inn. I was working at the front desk the morning you arrived at 8:30 am because our manager was out with a medical emergency. I explained the room was still occupied and would be happy to store your bags, get you set up with beach gear and you explained you were going to Waimea Canyon. The European lady and daughter who were supposed to check out of your room days before and had kept extending were late returning from a photo shoot and in checking out so when you returned at1pm the housekeeper was just starting the room. You said no problem you would go for a walk and I gave you $10 for a cold drink on the beach walk. I am sorry that our housekeeper didn't do a complete job on your room like they usually do because of the late check out and early check in combined might have made her nervous and rushed. We always thoroughly check the rooms and put fresh flowers from our garden and I did not check the room like we always do. We take a lot a pride in our clean rooms, beautiful gardens and colorful art which are all original artwork throughout our entire property. I only wish that you would have mentioned any of this to me during your four days with us because I would have given you a free up grade to an ocean view or done something special. I live here right on the property and all of our staff really try their best to provide a clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay for all of our guests. If you ever get a chance to return to Kauai please except our Aloha, and I will personally ensure that your next stay will be a much more memorable one. Mahalo, Steve Layne, Owner

Reviewed July 25, 2010

The beach is across the street, the restraunts are good, store is handy, centrally locatated for driving to attractions, and best of all the hotel lets you borrow what you need, rooms are clean, we stayed in the tropical room, bed very comfy, pretty quiet and the local friendlyness is outstanding.

1  Thank djgordoncst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#7 of 11 in Lihue
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!