“Wonderful place”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is a great little place, good value, central and quiet at the same time. We been in a camper van for 4 nights and this was a perfect place to spread out for a night.

It's clean, staff are friendly, water is hot and they had snacks to help yourself to in reception.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thanks for dicovering us on your adventure vacation via camper van on Kauai. We love the location by Kalapaki Beach, fabulous location, amenities, activities, without all the resort hype and crowds. Hot showers and good night sleep are critical, glad we provoded them and good free snacks too!
Keep exploring!! Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Great local inn in Lihui, with true island feel.
Spent one night here before heading up to the north side of the island.
This was a great start to my visit. If you are looking for local, casual, low key, friendly accommodations...this is the place.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Mahalo for staying with us. We are glad to add to the enjoyment of your Kauai visit. We have owned the hotel for 30 years and take great pride in sharing the local ALOHA spirit with our guests. Please return soon. Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was the perfect hotel for me. Erin helped me find the perfect room. I had #11, the second floor room closest to the waterfall. The combination of an excellent mattress and the sound of the waterfall made for perfect sleeping conditions. Joyce, the manager, knew all the best places to eat in Lihue. Germaine was a sweetheart; she quickly got me anything I needed, and she provided endless comic relief. (There is no lap swimming in the Koi Pond.) Last, but not least, the owner, Steve, treated me like family; he even let me use his SUB (Stand-Up paddle Board). Perhaps he lets everybody do that, but I prefer to think he only does that for the "special" guests. I spent three days surfing across the street (in the bay), I got a great night's rest every night, and I was ready to seize the day every morning. I will definitely stay at the Garden Island Inn again.

1  Thank Curt T
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Aloha Curt, Thanks for staying with us and writing your kind words. Thanks for sharing your sence of humor with us and making our job as hosts really fun. Its really great to have our guest enjoying one of the best places to Stand up Paddle board in the world. Warm water, small waves and lots of room. Having Guest like you stay with us keeps us all smiling and enjoying the life we live with Aloha. Thanks again and I am sure we see you soon. Steve and Lis

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Booked the Inn on the recommendation of a local friend who stayed here recently. Convenient to the beach, restaurants and shops. Close to the airport and the shopping mall. Ideal if you are checking in for a few days and don't need a resort. Kauai Athletic Club across the street is great for a workout and priced well for drop-ins. Room for a single had all I needed. Really enjoyed the colors throughout the inn. Brightens the mood. Room had tv, wifi, irons, etc. Sat on the Lanai to enjoy the warmth of the day. Very nice stay!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the harbor. Nice to sit on deck and see the water.
2  Thank TQJ66
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Aloha and thanks for your great observations and comments. The new athletic club down the street is are real great addition to the Kalapaki Beach area, classes all day , great place to workout . I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our colorful murals and ambiance . We are all working hard to make every part of the Garden Island Inn extraordinary , over ordinary . I am so lucky to have such a great staff ,that really enjoy their part of this team, and it really shows in the service they provide. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon . Steve and Lis

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Good value for the money paid! Great location, walking distance to many shops and restaurants; including Kalapaki beach. Loved their free Starbucks coffee and goodies each morning. Ditto for their free parking and hi-speed Internet service. Special mention to the excellent service received by both Germaine and Joyce, they answered all my questions and were very accommodating to my requests. Only negative thing I can say is to bring along your earplugs as the walls are thin and the voices carry.

2  Thank Domenic R
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thanks Domenic, Germaine just told me how sweet and nice you are and we enjoyed having you stay with us. Sorry I didn’t know other guest were being loud. We are striving for 5 stars every time with all of our guest . I am glad your stay with us was good in a lot of ways and only slightly blemished by others. Best of times on the rest of your trip, and hope you do return or stay in touch with your friends at the garden island Inn. Steve, Lis and the entire Staff

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed one night (room 8 -- one of the "tropical" rooms) before our flight out the next day. Very warm welcome at reception made us feel right at home. Smallish room but clean and had everything we needed. Slatted blinds on the balcony door assure that you will wake up when the sunrises.

For a few dollars more, I wish we had stayed in one of the "Orchid" rooms on the 3rd floor. A bit more space and a better view.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank golerjoe
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thanks for staying you last day of vacation with us. The location to the Lihue Airport takes the stress out of traffic and weather conditions making flight connections. We will be sure to pass on your delightful comments to our housekeeps and staff! Everyone takes great pride in providing their best to our guests! Our aloha comes from within and so happy we could share it with you!
Sincerely, Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed in room 21. Top floor, corner room (no elevator), lots of room, kitchen, nice wrap around lanai that looks across a road towards a park and beach area. Restaurants and shopping within short walking distance. Beautiful gardens surround the hotel. Nice place, nice price!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WFP
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Our compliments to you for great vacation pictures! We are so happy you enjoyed the art and tropical beauty of the gardens. We strive to provide extraordinary guest service and provisions for your comfort. We are sp glad you appreciated the great value!! Thank you so much for staying with us . We look forward to your return.
Mahalo, Lis & Steve Layne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#7 of 11 in Lihue
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!