“Great laid back, well located Inn.”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our first night in Kauai. We loved the decor and friendliness of the this little Inn. It was right across the street from Kalapaki Beach. We ate dinner at world famous Duke's and watched all the beach activities while catching the sunset. One word. Beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gravytrain72

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I can't say enough about what a great motel this is. At night it is lit up with colored lights on the building and in the garden. The staff was delightful, room clean, and location to airport is close but not too close. The bay is a great place to stand up paddle or surf for beginners like me. Lots of close restaurants and shops. I think it is ideal to stay close to the airport when you arrive. Makes it simple after a long day of travel. It is what it is..cute, clean and nice staff. After 7 or 8 trips to Hawaii, I keep doing it different and better. I would not hesitate to stay for any length of time but stayed only 2 night. Sharmaine was great help in fixing a reservation date error (mine or hers?) Lovely grounds to meet others and share ideas for travel.

1  Thank aloha124
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Not really single, but a married lady spending the day alone after dropping her friends at the airport for a much earlier flight, this was the perfect place to spend the day. The owners were so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was great to go hang out at the beach with the gear they provided and plenty of dining nearby. I was completely relaxed when I arrived at the airport and ready for some sleep on the overnight flight. The lighting and local music playing at night made for a great ambiance. Very cool.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank skhamon
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had Room 20 which has 4 beds. The only negative was the air conditioner - it was possesed. It would turn on an off irregularly and make quite a racket, which varied from rumbling to loud rattling. I didn't sleep well the 1st night but I guess I got used to it after that. It didn't seem to bother the rest of my group. We liked the location based on central Kauai location (whichever way we left Lihue in the morning rush hour was going in the opposite direction), and a nice beach and a couple good restaurants across the street. It's an old fashioned 3 story hotel building (no elevator) but it's very colorful and quirky inside and out - we all liked it except my 20 year old neice who turns her nose up at anything less than a Hilton. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We just spent five nights in Kauai at the Garden Island Inn. It is a lovely place with a wonderful staff. They make you feel very welcome and go out of their way to assist you. The location is about 10 minutes from the airport so it's very convenient. There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance.
The decor of the hotel is quite beautiful. Each room is hand decorated with original painting and not just in frames. The entire room is a work of art.
All this for a very reasonable price. I highly recommend the Garden Island Inn.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms enjoy the sounds of a waterfall just outside the door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathyJo208
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We are people who appreciate practical over opulent - and the Garden Island Inn was just right! It was located across the street from access to a bay, great places to eat, little shops, and a convenience store. Tropical mural paintings were evident on the outside and inside of the rooms creating a unique atmosphere. The room was large and had a kitchenette (other room choices were available, so I'm not sure if this is the same for all options). The room had character which we loved. We were very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Without charge, the office had snacks and juice, beach paraphernalia, books and DVDs to borrow, etc. We would stay again and we happily recommend it to others.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This brightly decorated hotel was artistic and welcoming. We stayed for 3 nights at the end of a multi-island trip. I found it to be less than a hotel, but more of a motel in style. That worked out great for us. Simple and fun, it did not take itself too seriously, but the staff was kind and helpful. I owe a special thanks to young woman who both checked us in originally and checked us out. It was Valentine's Day and the husband was coming up short on the Valentine part. We were joking with her and she reached into HER Valentine roses and handed one to me saying, "Oh, this was for you". Despite my protests, she insisted I enjoy it at least until departure later that day. It is a little thing, but a genuine smile and kindness in small doses made my stay. Don't hesitate to stay in this unique property.

4  Thank cuse2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Shores Hotel
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!