“Ditto on all the positive reviews”
Review of Garden Island Inn

Garden Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Los Angeles
“Ditto on all the positive reviews”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Small, romantic, whimsy, and cozy place with tropical landscape. Centeraly located in a quiet area near the airport and away from the hussle and bussle of the North Shore with their big noisy resorts. The staff deserves a Aloha Spirit Award and they provided ice, sand chairs, ice boxes, and towels for the beach which was a short walk across the street. Many eating establishments, shops, and an ABC Store within walking distance. Loved the pet Geckos. We had room 17 that was equiped with a very small kitchenette. The bed was comfy and the view from the balcony was nice, especially while watching the sunrise. If you are sensitive about some street traffic noise, I'd suggest wear earplugs but we did sleep soundly. We would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trippychick2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The Garden Island Inn represents the best of Kauai: a casual, welcoming atmosphere surrounded by extraordinary beauty. From the brightly painted whale mailbox to the koi pond that meanders through the lobby to the waterfall and terraced gardens, the mood of this property is happy and peaceful. The inn is not new but is well-maintained. Each room has been given a bright and cheery character through the bold, colorful work of Kauai artist Camile Fontaine. As noted in other reviews the inn is located a short walk from the surf, restaurants and shopping of Kalapaki Beach. We were able to see the surfers and cruise ships from our room. The staff at the inn is first-rate. Their spirit of Aloha is infectious. Special thanks to Germaine, who was most helpful and made our stay even more memorable.

3 Thank UkeEm
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We selected the Garden Island Inn because of good reviews, low rates ($99), and proximity to the Marriott whose rates we could not afford - and it had a good central location accessing the sites and activities on the south shore of Kauai.

It was a winner in every way. Nice motel type room in a modest 2 story building on a main road - the noice mostly shut out with air conditioning on and windows shut. Comfortable beds, nice bathroom, wonderful Joyce, the general manager usually at the front desk, helpful and accommodating.

Proximity: almost as close to the 2 free standing oceanside lighly rated Marriott restaurants as the separate Marriott main building hotel rooms. Dukes: our first first night dinner a table inside by a pool with colorful live fish eating delicious cooked fresh fish - tables outside by the water as well - another night, drinks 4-6pm at the Dukes bar listening to a folk singer/guitarist as good as anybody we have heard worldwide -accurately claimed to be the best in Hawaii. Portofino: a gormet northern Italian/Hawaiian restaurant sharing the seaside building with Dukes but on the 2nd story overlooking the ocean - food gormet and delicious as advertized. Veal piccata perfectly prepared with just the right sauce flavor.

No breakfast at the Garden Inn but across the the street is Kalapaki Beach Hut, breakfast/sandwich shack frequented by the local truck drivers, police, hotel employees - the real Kauai. I like to get away from tourists when I can - not to avoid the good tourist attractions but to absorb a bit of the local culture. Real thick lean bacon, french toast to die for - I can taste it now. Yum!

We especially enjoyed the excellent Lihue Museum and the Kauai Coffee Company Plantation and unfortionate missed the National Tropical Botanical Garden which is closed from Friday noon until Tuesday morning. Lots to do and see. We also stayed on the north and west coasts each of which were different enviornments and worthwhile.

Room Tip: Upstairs the rooms are larger but we wanted the easy access of first floor and the tropical landscap...
Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iowaconsultant
Amherst, NH
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Hard to say something different from all the other fine reviews. Let's see ... free internet in the rooms, and it works very well (unlike some other places with spotty connections on the islands). Like the outdoor Christmas-type strip white lighting and the colored light bulbs strong along the balcony; complements the nice artistic paintings on all the doors and walls. Walk across the street to get to ...the ABC store (which carry everything you need in Hawaii - beer, ice, liquor, munchies, breakfast foods, etc.), shops of all types, several decent restaurants, a nice beach and park area. Close to airport (5 minutes away, but you never hear the airplanes). There, that's a few particulars to add to all the facts/accolades cited by others - we liked our stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor give a slightly better view out across the harbor
3 Thank NH_Joe
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at garden island inn for 3 nights, room number 9 at second floor. I really liked the room, clean and comfortable... Free wifi, you can borrow towels and beach mats. Walking distance to kalapaki beach and abc stores and a few nice restaurants. If you are going at a rainy season, do not expect much from kalapaki beacH though. If you are staying for a few days, the location is just great as it is 5 minutes to the airport and a comfortable driving distance to everywhere on the island. The staff was very nice - thanks Germaine...

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Deniz E
Tampa
Reviewed November 12, 2011

You can choose a high end hotel with thick carpets, huge rooms, fancy decor, but none of them will have the delightful ambiance of Garden Island Inn in Lihue, Kauai. I have been to both kinds of hotels, and, hands down, would go back to Garden Island Inn any time. I was part of a group of ten plus two guides. When all ten of us walked into the tiny office, the woman behind the counter greeted us with an ebullience, a genuine happiness, that made us feel as if we had come home after being away far too long. I have never experienced such a warm welcome anywhere. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and just so homey. Every door was painted a unique motif of what I can only call "happy Hawaiian." You want to go snorkeling? The equipment is complimentary; you need a beach towel? It is complimentary. If you want to watch a DVD in your room, yes, the DVDs are complimentary. And when you walk into the little office with a big happy heart, there are juice, cookies, and wrapped snacks to tide you over until dinner. My last night in Kauai was spent at a big hotel, with everything I could have asked for and more; but it didn't have that wonderful, happy, personable feeling of Garden Island Inn. Garden Island is located across the street from a shopping center with many really nice restaurants, good stores, ATM, and even a mailbox. The beach is across the street. I'd have been just as happy to sit in the office; in fact, I am kind of sure I stayed too long when I did go in because talking to the receptionist was so delightful that I forgot she had work to do. Not once did she suggest in anyway that maybe I ought to go--we, the customers are the most important part of her--their--job. If I return to the Islands, it will be to Kauai; and when I do, it will be Garden Island Inn where I will stay.

I loved my visit to the four islands, but my favorite of all was Kauai. Not only is it extraordinarily beautiful, but it has the warmest, friendliest hotel I've every been in.

Room Tip: Tell the person who greets you, or answers the phone what you want: the hotel is two stories, the se...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Birder57
Lihue, Hawaii
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We called spur of the moment for a room to escape the on-going monsoon on the north end of the island. The woman who answered the phone politely told me she was helping someone but would call right back, which she did. That was a huge plus right there cuz I hate it when I'm waiting to be helped and the phone caller takes precedent. Anyway, we got a nice room with a king bed, and were told that we could check in any time the next day, as early as we wanted. 9:30am we got a smile and yes the room was ready. This place is spotless with obvious pride in ownership. I loved the hand painted walls, doors and artwork. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Good location, terrific park, restaurants and beach across the street. Gorgeous view from the balcony. We will be BACK.

1 Thank skiqueen1959
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,243 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Garden Island Inn? Share your experiences!