“Wonderful people, wonderful place to stay while on Kauai”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Thank you so much to the staff of the Garden Island Inn for making our stay on Kauai memorable! Everyone was more than accommodating with every need - Friendly and warm is how I would describe them all. For me and my brother and sisters, this was perfect! With one large queen bed and two singles, not to mention the kitchenette - we were more than comfortable. Convenient location to shops, food, small ABC market, the beach and only minutes away from Lihue town and the airport - perfect location.

This would be our third stay at the Garden Island Inn - Each room provided was wonderful. Rooms and the Inn itself decorated with color and art through out and even a relaxing garden for all to enjoy! Fresh cut flowers in our room added to the specialness that the Inn provides.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank SeaGlassTreasure
There are newer reviews for Garden Island Inn Hotel

Reviewed May 3, 2011

If you are looking for a hotel with local charm this is the place. My daughter and I stayed at the Garden Island Inn for 5 days and it was just perfect. From our lanai we could see the ocean and it was a short walk to the beach. Steve and the rest of the staff were fantastic providing just about anything we needed from beach chairs/towels to friendly local advice on where to eat. We would wake to the roosters (they run wild on Kauai) every morning and set our daily adventure with helpful advice from the staff. At the end of the day we came back to a very clean, comfortable room. The best part was that there were no hidden extras - free internet, free parking, alway an ample supply of fresh coffee and treats in the small lobby. Just really nice, comfortable, safe, reasonable, convenient and CLEAN. They have some rooms with 5 beds and a small kitchen which is great for a family traveling on a budget. If you want the fancy lobbies and pools (along with the big bill) this is not the place for you. If you want the local feel and would rather spend your time (and money) exploring the great beaches and other sites in Kauai then stay at the Garden Island Inn.
Just a note on the level of service. On our way out we forgot a couple of sweat shirts. I called and the staff had our sweatshirts mailed back to the mainland along with a thank you card and a box of sweets. To Steve and all the staff at the Island Garden Inn: Thanks for making our trip the best!!!Looking forward to a returning.

Room Tip: Check the website...shows pictures.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DadandBear
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My wife, daughter & granddaughter stayed at one of the 2 condos rented by the GI Inn for 4 nights. The location was perfect for us as we wanted to explore the East Coast, North (Hanalei), and South (Poipu). The pool was very nice, with great views of the bay, and just a few steps from our condo. The lower level of the condo (living, kitchen & lanai) was very clean and comfortable. The upstairs bedrooms were another story. Very warm at night, even with the windows open OR with the window AC running. Halfway through our stay, the 3 year old developed a head cold & cough, which lasted the rest of our trip (4 days after we left the GI Inn). While we have no way of knowing whether she picked up the cold virus somewhere else, we suspect it may have been a product of the window AC (and whatever might have been breeding in the filters). In contrast, we were very comfortable in the next property we moved to, which had very good central AC. If we had to do it over again, we would probably have spent a little more money to stay at a more modern property with central AC.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mickeysmo
Fishin087, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Garden Island Inn condominium unit your family stayed in while visiting the beautiful island of Kauai. We pride ourselves in maintaining the highest standard of cleanliness and comfort for all our guests.

After receiving your review we inspected the air conditioning unit, including the filters. We found no mold or dust particles. However, based on your comments, we took it upon ourselves to install a brand new air conditioner.

Again, we appreciate your patronage and we very much look forward to hosting you at the Garden Island Inn.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

We were shocked by this place. I was hoping for a clean, sanitary environment based on previous reviews but that is not what we found. Ants crawled over the kitchen countertops and the two rooms upstairs were stuffy and light bulbs were replaced upon our arrival. We were traveling with our toddler and felt this place was too dirty for us to stay and immediately checked out. On the plus side, the hotel managers were very accommodating for us and extremely helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank SeattleFfamily
loofer, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2011

I spoke with the guest this morning and she said she wrote a review but couldnt remember what hotel she wrote about. She stated the only reason they checked out early was to join their friend on another part of the Island. This is what happened:
Avelina refreshed condo and upon her return to the hotel advised Steve Mei that the light bulbs were out in the master bedroom
Steve Mei notified Alfred immediately and Alfred took the new light bulbs to the condo to replace.
The guests arrived at 11:15 a.m. as Alfred was installing the new bulbs and I advised the guests that we were finishing prepping the condo as they had arrived early and sent them up with their keys.
Approximately one hour later I received a call from the guest that she had noticed ants on the kitchen counter. I apologized to her and told her I would be sending our maintenance person up to
address the ant issue. Alfred was dispatched immediately and headed to the condo with spray. Alfred advised me while in the condo that he noticed crumbs and cereal all over the counter. I asked Alfred to ask the guests to contain there snacks in the fridge or in a sealed container. Alfred stated he spoke to the guest and they seemed fine. I then received another call from Emily aproximately one hour later and she stated that they had friends in Kapa'a and that they would prefer to move closer to them. She asked if we would not charge her for the rest of the stay and I said absolutely. She would be down in approximately one hour with the keys. She showed up two hours later and said she felt badly for leaving and hoped I understood being closer to their friends. I printed out their folio, giving then a full refund, gave her a business cards and offered them any assistance while on Kaua'i. She thanked me and she left the property smiling. Guest never mentioned condo was dirty or that the ants were the reason they were leaving.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed here the night before flying home, but they allowed us to leave some luggage for several days while we were back-packing. The staff was super accommodating and eager to please. Island style decor (complete with beautiful flower arrangement) and a spacious room made our family of four feel very welcome. Games and beach towels were available to borrow and we were just a short walk from a great surfing beach and a wide selection of restaurants. The central location made it very convenient to attractions all over the island. There was a little bit of traffic noise from a nearby road, so bring ear plugs, if you are sensitive to this type of thing...I slept great with ear plugs in (and I'm a light sleeper).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KathyMarch2011
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I had a late arrival (almost midnight) and I was easily able to get the key to my room even though the office was closed. Great value and location, close to beach, shops, and outdoor activities. Staff was polite and helpful. Check-out was extremely easy and I was able to leave my bags for the day while I wandered the shops and beach.
Word to late arrivals: taxis don't run late and many companies aren't even open so plan ahead if you are not getting a rental car.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank halexander1
Reviewed March 27, 2011

When we travel, we need a base to stash our stuff and sleep - that's all. We look for a clean, friendly place where we can sleep in peace after a long day of exploring and fun. The Garden Island Inn Kauai was the perfect place for us!

We all expect every place to be clean, right? That basic is more than met here. What really makes it stand out is the awesome friendly service of the staff, especially on the part of Steve Mei. Maybe you are familial with the Fish Philosophy of customer service? If so, you know what I mean when I say they "Make Your Day".

Steve and all the other lovely people that work at the Garden Island Inn work very hard to make sure your stay is enjoyable and memorable. They provide, for example, free high quality beach gear for your use - beach chairs, snorkel equipment, beach mats, etc. These freely available items, for as long as you need them, really help you keep down your costs.

The other notable features of the Garden Island Inn are the beautiful art work everywhere and the amazing plants. Each room and door is a show case of art done by a local artist. The lobby showcases the art of Steve Mei, our new friend in Kauai and the person we most interacted with.

If you need a pool, shopping and fancy restaurants - stay at the Marriott. If you need local, high quality lodging from a friendly staff who know your name, stay at the Garden Island Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mandomurphy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Shores Hotel
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!