“Well trained horses, fantastic scenery, great guide”

CJM Country Stables
Ranked #4 of 27 Outdoor Activities in Koloa
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We just got back from Kauai. My only experience with horses was when I was six, and was bucked off a horse while with my grandpa on a tour (in Hawaii actually). Needless to say, I've been scared of riding since then. However, my husband really wanted to go so I agreed to try it out.

I'm so glad I did. It was truly one of the highlights of the trip for me. Our guide was CJ, and he was a real cowboy, from New Mexico, complete with the full cowboy clothes, and gruff exterior. He was hilarious (kept calling my "Canadian cowgirl"), and his main priority was safety. He had an eye on all 4 of us the entire time, and would shout out suggestions (or commands! :) ) to keep ourselves and the horses safe.

You can't beat the scenery - we saw where the latest Pirates movie was filmed and the beach and trail was just stunning. CJ would get us set up in certain places and then come and grab our cameras and take our pictures for us. Very helpful because I was concentrating all my energy on my horse (her name was Primo and she was fantastic). I would definitely return and recommend it to anyone who wants to see some amazing scenery and learn a bit about horses. If you haven't ever been on a horse and want to try it out, this is the tour for you!

5  Thank Princess of Power

Reviewed October 12, 2011

The horse ride at CJM Country Stables along the south coast of Kauai was fantastic! There was lots of breathtaking scenery! My husband and I were lucky enough to to have Jim, the owner, as our guide. Jim was an awesome host. He shared a lot of information about the trees and shrubs we were riding through and about movies that were filmed where we were riding. He even asked for our camera so we would have a picture of us together on our horses! His horses were very behaved and well taken care of. If we go back I will definitely do this again and recommend that you do too! If you do, be sure to wear jeans and don't forget to take a camera.

2  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Great staff, great horses, and fantastic vistas. Start to finish well run and made me and two sons feel very comfortable. I'm an experienced rider, my oldest has be on a horse a few times. it was my youngest (11) 1st time. A little hot and long for him, and while he is usually pretty tough, at times he was looking for it to end. One of the hands teamed up with him and helped him out, which was great. The mid-ride refreshment was a bit lame, a 1/2 gal of juice passed around (with cups). Still, something better could have been arranged. Overall, a great trail ride.

3  Thank USA2011Hawaii
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My wife and I and our children, ages 7 and 8 years-old, have ridden at Mammoth in California, in Mexico and in Costa Rica and this ride in Kauai was right up there in terms of beautiful scenery. My wife's horse, Nick, was a bit mean towards the other horses, which wasn't pleasant, but the rest of the horses were very well behaved and a pleasure to ride. My son's horse was the oldest on the ranch and was an extra in the most recent Pirates of the Caribbean movie, which filmed near where we rode. I highly recommend this trip both for the fun of riding the horses and for the opportunity to see some of the off-the-beaten- track beauty of Kauai.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

My two teenage daughters and I went on a morning ride and really enjoyed our time in the saddle! We are horseowners ourselves and were happy to not have to ride horses that were on autopilot. Staff was funny, friendly, and personable. Our guide, Chaz, was always making sure everyone in the group was enjoying themselves. The two hour ride took us to the surf and to the hills of Kauai. The surf was really high the day we went so the views were amazing!

1  Thank L L