“Fantastic Marlin Sandwich”

Cuisines: American, Deli, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews I was a bit hesitant. My new policy is that I am the only one who's opinion I value. I had a blackened Marlin sandwich with fries for lunch and it was exceptional. The rest of my family also had great meals. Real brewed iced tea and a very unique atmosphere made it a very good experience. Waitstaff was great and pricing wasn't bad for a "rip you off" place like Hawaii. I would recommend you try it for lunch and judge for yourself.

P.S. There were cats running around the restaurant but that did not seem odd after 4 days on Kauai.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I went to this place for dinner, and were pleasantly pleased. We were actually served by either the owner or manager, and were taken care of very well. I ordered the Mahi Mahi taco. I was expecting 2 tacos, but the single taco was so big that it would have equaled to 2 tacos elsewhere. We were pleased with the menu selection, and the amount of food we received. I would say that you do receive good value for your money here.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The mashed potatoes tasted like they'd gone bad... even my husband thought so and he eats EVERYTHING! They did replace them with fries, but they were mediocre at best as well. The food is edible, and the service friendly, but there is way better food for the money.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we last visited this place two years ago, it was hit or miss, this time around we were pleasantly surprised. Set in the back of a storefront in Old Town, it captures a very unique ambiance. Nothing fancy here as for as décor, but delivers a very friendly old time charm. Mahi Mahi was excellent ($21) with a macadamia/panko crust, although the portion size could be better. The Hawaiian plate ($16) was excellent with Kalua pork that had a nice smokey taste. Burgers were nothing special- although the waiter said they were freshly made they looked like your average slim ¼ pound patty. $10 for one slim burger, $12 for a double, $14 for a triple. Catch them during Happy Hour and you’ll get a nicely done Mai Tai for $4. Service was attentive and somewhat efficient although our waiter did forget to bring my salad and thus I declined when the entrée arrived, no worries. We read rumors of chickens and cats in the garden area and did in fact see one stray cat obnoxiously being fed by a fellow diner. Small 4-5 seat bar. Very good choice for informal dining, family friendly, good value.

2  Thank edtoby007
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Sometimes the best food is served at places that are a hole in the wall. Excellent food and service at a great price. Try the pork sandwich, shrimp scampi and mussles. All were delicious--and there was a lot of food--compared to the mediocre food served at high end restaurants in the area that are even more expensive. Servers Tayna and Mike are super friendly, attentive and helpful.