“Just So Lousy - and felt like the German Luftwaffe was coming after my fries!”
Review of Poipu Tropical Burgers - CLOSED

Poipu Tropical Burgers
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Much like most casual dining restaurants here on Kauai, this place just reeks "ordinary". The food is well below average, the service is uninterested, and the setting is pretty darn gross. I was buzzed by birds several times and was genuinely concerned that one would steal a fry off of my plate. These birds all but own the restaurant, and there is absolutely no attempt by the employees to fend them off in any way. There were over 20 birds in this 30'x30' restaurant when we were there. Not only are they a horrible distraction, but they are dirty and will land on your table while you are still there, staring at you like they are trying to hypnotize you into giving up your food.

Our lunch cost $65 for two adults and two children and I could have made better food at home in about 10 minutes for less than $10. There is just not a decent burger and fries place on this island, I guess.

My advice is to lower your expectations for food on Kauai unless you are going out to a nice dinner that's like $45 a plate and you order fish. Otherwise, take the attitude that most take when they go to England - assume poor and if you happen upon an ordinary meal, then you will be pleasantly surprised!

1  Thank mcholmes
There are newer reviews for Poipu Tropical Burgers

Reviewed July 1, 2008

The service is awful! The food is average the first time we went. The second time, we waited 10 minutes outside, even with plenty of tables available, before we were seated. Once seated, we ordered. The waiter went down the menu and told us what was UNavailable. So we ordered 4 orders of Fish and Chips. After 20 minutes of waiting, the waiter indicated that there wasn't any fish. We got up and left.

1  Thank rmoors
Reviewed June 9, 2008

The service was fine, the food was ok.

Reviewed May 27, 2008

We ate here twice ... lunch and breakfast. The food was OK, bordering on good. But service was slow/indifferent. I was surprised that service was slow at breakfast, that is usually the easiest menu to turn around quickly.

1  Thank TMine
Reviewed May 17, 2008

This place was a mistake. The menu looks good, but the food is weak and the service is weaker. After 20 minutes, my wife's breakfast came out, but they had forgotten to make my order, so we ate her meal, while waiting another 15 minutes for mine to come out. It would have been nice to eat together. While we were there, people sat down at the table next to us, and then got up and left after about 20 minutes, because no one had taken their order.

1  Thank gotmike