“worth a try”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading all of the reviews, I had to give this place a shot. I ended up going there twice. The first time I had a few different kinds of poke, including the avocado and korean. Like other reviews I have read, I felt like I was in the 'soup nazi' store from the Seinfeld show. I had no idea what I was doing, but the staff, seemed to expect crisp/quick direction in terms of what I wanted to order. Since I hadn't been there before, I didn't have a clue. I didn't see any sort of real menu, so in addition to the poke, I ordered some macaroni salad, which I thought they had based on reviews I had read. The server asked me '1 or 2'? I'm sure this isn't a complicated question, but I didn't have a clue what she meant. Servings? Ounces? Pounds? Containers? Forks? (i'm joking here). They were not rude, but clearly expected more knowledgable/experienced customers.

The food itself was interesting. The poke was a bit much for me to handle(mentally) by itself, but when mixed with rice and mac salad, it was a pretty good meal. I wouldn't rate this place as high as others did as I don't view it as a 'must go' place, but I am glad I tried their poke.

The 2nd time I went, I tried the Lau Lau plate lunch. I have to say, I didn't really like it. The pork tasted really salty, and the noodles were extremely bland. I wouldn't order it again.

My personal preference for a lunch place is Da Crack, just a few hundred yards away.

There are newer reviews for Koloa Fish Market

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife, 9 year old daughter, and I ate there last week for lunch and it was really good. My wife had Rosemary chicken, I had the Kalua pig, and my daughter had a shrimp cocktail. The prices were very reasonable and we loved everything we ordered. The only drawback is there's nowhere to sit, but you can find sit on a short wall just outside to the left when you walk out of the store. The deli next door had better drink selections, so we bought our drinks there, but you can sit at there tables unless you buy their food.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We came here on the suggestion of a local. We ordered the poke bento and lomi salmon. Total for both was under $10! No room to eat, as it is a market. So we brought it back to our hotel. Wonderfully seasoned, light and filling. Wish we could have had the opportunity to go back again. One of the few things in Kauai that was worth the money.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Koloa Fish Market is a great place to pick up fresh fish, Poke and (best of all) Seared Ahi Tuna. It is strictly take out, but if you want to make a great salad or sandwich, the Ahi Tuna, is lightly breaded and obviously flash cooked to just cook the fist 1/8 inch, leaving the large rounds perfectly uncooked through most of the delicious Ahi meat.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

So I am a vegetarian, so all I had was the macaroni salad which was great! Hubby had the sautéed ono and sautéed ahi and he loved it! The establishment is clean and does not smell like fish - that made me happy... :-)