“Nicely done, but can be noisy”

La Spezia Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Koloa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Koloa, Hawaii
“Nicely done, but can be noisy”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

As a resident of Koloa, I love it when a new restaurant comes to town, or rather in this case, reinvents itself in a former location. The food,last evening when a friend and went for dinner, was extremely good. One of us had the special of black mussels with fettuccine with garlic, parmesan and cream. My friend had the hangar steak. Both meals were good, the white wine also good. The downside was that we arrived at 5:15p.m, and soon gave our order, and were waiting still at 6:15p.m., which is a little long to have a bit of bread and wine. In addition, the noise level rose as the restaurant filled, mostly from the bar area, which is in an adjoining room. There needs to be something to soak up all that hilarity, so the diners don't have to be subjected to it. Panels hung from the ceiling with special material to reduce noise would be a big help. I will go back because the food is so good, and it's close to home, but the noise may eventually drive me away. We'll see. It's worth a try, and I recommend it.

Kauai, Hawaii
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Have the steak with gorgonzola polenta.
Fabulous!
They also have a very creative and reasonable wine list.
They also are doing a nice breakfast with home made bagels.

2 Thank Janice t
Kalaheo, Hawaii
“La Spezia, a new bistro by seasoned hands in Koloa Town”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

So far I've been to La Spezia 3 times since the opening about 10 days ago.
Located in the old Cafe Cara of days past, the ambience and welcome reflect
a return to the neighborhood feel and menu of that much missed restaurant.
Breakfast was great and it's wonderful to have the homemade bagels that first
brought Liz and Dan to everyone's attention many years ago.

The evening visits have proved new Chef Megan has talent with a light palate
dialed in to the focus of the dish with respect to the subject, enhancing without
unnecessary or unfortunate embelishment. Table service was casual, friendly,
helpful, and complete.
The bar area seems popular already; attractive, well stocked, and presided over by the folks who worked Casa Blanca before everyone moved over to La Spezia; knowledgable, fun, special cocktails, with a local following.

Everyone we know who has tried it is thankful to have a neighborhood bistro back in Koloa Town and appreciative of what Liz and Dan have put together. It will become our go-to choice for all occasions.

1 Thank JonE56
Kalaheo, Hawaii
“Each Step Crafted in Love”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

From the hand crafted tables made from old wine boxes to the beautiful monkeypod and limestone bar to the family photots on the wall next to an antique player piano in the bar, La Spezia exudes an old world charm and family heart in a surprisingly contemporary space. Eclectic touches such as the menagerie of funky chandeliers which illuminate the space make this place sing. But the real star is the food and the wine.

My fiancé and I ate dinner here last night and I have to say we were delighted at every turn. We started with an antipasti platter that had an assortment of cured meats, pickled vegetables and cheeses accompanied by two hand crafted cocktails. I had the Tequilla Mockingbird, a sweetly inspired drink that hit all the right tropical notes without banging you in the face with the typical over the top frivolity of a "resort drink". This one had class and distinction in spades and was served in a cute champagne coupe. The fiancé had the Ciao Bella, which he loved, and served in a mason jar, which I thought was clever and surprising. (Every turn, this place is giving you class lovingly holding the hand of charm. Brilliant!)

Next we shared the home made gnocchi. Served with house baked focaccia, it was lovely and light with spinach, tomato and garlic. This was followed by the clams with pork belly. This was my favorite of the evening. I sopped up every piece of bread i could get my hands on in that heavenly broth. Rich, warm and decadent, I ordered a glass of Earthquake Cab to cut through the fat of the pork belly. Great choice. Earthquake Cabernet is a big, bold American cab that knows how to handle rich foods.

By the time our fourth share arrived at the table, we were stuffed. Too bad, because the Mushroom Risotto smelled divine. We had to box this one up and take it home.

We are so happy to have a new and exciting place to eat on Kauai!

1 Thank Michael H
Poipu, Hawaii, United States
“Great food, really easonable prices. happy servers.”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We tried La Spezia for breakfast and were very impressed. My boyfriend is super picky when he eats out, and he loved his eggs benedict. I was also quite satisfied with my La Spezia omelet (light but full of flavor from fresh herbs) and blueberry mascarpone french toast (rich and satisfying). The ambiance is really nice as well, and our server was very attentive and sweet. I will certainly be returning to try diner here, or breakfast again!

1 Thank Kristin T