“Not worth the hype”

Ranked #2 of 6 Dessert in Koloa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Tried 2 flavors - Passion/Coconut combo and Pina Colada
The flavors were not that great. In fact they kind of blended into each other, tasting quite the same half way into the cup. Overall, the flavors tasted nothing more than artificial sugar water laced on ice. Total disappointment.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife, 9 year old daughter, and I had shaved twice there last week when we were in Kauai. They had a great selection, very friendly staff, reasonable prices, and fluffy and yummy shaved ice. I would suggest the small since it is rather large if you ask me. We had asked a couple of locals at Koloa Fish Market for the best shaved ice and they recommended Uncles, they were right : ) !

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We made it a point to try every Shave Ice place in Kawai and by far Uncle's was the best. Yummy flavors, friendly service and located in a very nice plaza with plenty to do. We will be back!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

They've got it down in this place. Lots of flavors. Great staff. Ice with different textures. No need to run to Waimea. But, if you do, we still love JoJo's.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live about 1/2 mile down the street from Kukui'ula Shopping Center, and have to admit, I very, very seldom go there....it isn't in my opinion, geared to residents and their budgets, so I generally stay away.

However, friends of mine who also live here on the West Side have been telling me about Uncle's Shave Ice and raving about it....they go there weekly with their keiki (children) and think it is fabulous. So I decided to try it after a long hike a couple weeks ago when I was very tired and thirsty.

First of all, they have "shave ice"....I didn't try that. I tried what is their claim to fame.."shave snow"....this is exactly like powdered snow, but flavored of course with whatever you like. It is also not served in a cup or a cone, but in a flat bottomed container, and for $5.75 I got two flavors (honeydew and lychee) with "cream top" (which is a $1.00 add on).

It was fabulous! I call myself someone who isn't a big sweets fan in general, but this stuff is so fluffy and light and the flavors so light and not heavy that it was just about perfect.....

What can I say but that I visited the place twice in one week (after another hike)....and I have the punch card that gives you a free one after X number of visits.....I have a feeling I am going to be filling that up sooner than I would have ever expected.

So....a big thumbs up to this place. It isn't "break the bank" pricey, and you get a ton of "shave snow" for the money to boot. As a resident....I appreciate this!

1  Thank koloagirl