“Our only regret is that we didn't have time to come here twice”
Review of Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poipu Rd.
Description: Chef Jean Marie Josselin has created another masterpiece with this new and unique tapas restaurant. Imagine dining in a rustic, yet contemporary, style dining room with an open view of the kitchen where the wood-burning oven cooks fresh, local produce, fish and meat to perfection. Share several different tapas and taste incredible culinary creations. Enjoy refreshing signature sangrias served tableside like you have never had it before. This chic new hotspot on Kauai"s south shore will have you coming back time and time again, making each experience a memorable one. "The Whole Process is About Sharing."
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went to Josselin's in April and were very pleasantly surprised. The sangria cart was nice and the lychee sangria was delicious. The service was excellent, attentive and very efficient. Everything seemed to come out at just the right time. We had the kale salad; Kabocha Pumpkin Ravioli, Roasted Assorted Mushrooms, the ono, and the pana cotta for dessert. The portions were just right for the two of us. It was the best meal we had in Kauai.

There are newer reviews for Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I've eaten at Josselin's a handful of times, and each time I am reminded as to why I keep raving about it to everyone I meet.
1. Service. The service is always, in my opinion, excellent. The servers and bussers (sp?) are always nearby, but I never overbearing. I can't imagine feeling neglected as some of the few negative reviews have mentioned, as our server was always stopping by to make sure we were enjoying our meal, to see if we wanted to order something else, or to check on our drinks. We never felt rushed or pressured to order more, either, which is always nice. Perhaps the negative people were expecting the ever-present server by your side that is the norm in some restaurants. I, personally, find that to be annoying and makes for a very unenjoyable meal.
The other thing that strikes me about the service at Josselin's is the staff's knowledge of the menu. If you have food allergies or preferences, they are superb at helping you find items on the menu suitable for your diet. If you have questions about anything on the menu, or need an item explained to you, the servers and staff all seem not only happy, but EXCITED to talk about food and the flavors in depth; this is not your average restaurant staff.

2. Food. I mean, really. Have you looked at the menu? Every dish makes me have to close my eyes and savor each bite & really let the flavors sink in. It's ridiculous. I probably look like a bad parody of a food critic wannabe on some comedy sketch, but I don't care 'cause it's that good. Some of my favorites:
- Salmon Ceviche with avocado, yuzu, and Korean pear. I cannot go to Josselin's without getting this. I often come with a group of friends and this dish is consistently ranked as one of the standout dishes.
- Salt & Pepper Crispy Octopus. The sauce makes this dish. I used to chaperone high schoolers around France, and one kid came up with this wonderful summarization of French food: "It's all about the sauce." I think he would like this dish! The sauce is a mix of roasted pineapple with chili pepper & garlic...it makes me think of li hing mui, for those of you familiar with Chinese salted plum snacks. FYI, these are real, little octopi, so if you're at all squeamish about eating octopus that, well, looks like octopus, then maybe you should skip this one.
- Roasted Feta Cheese Salad with charred tomato, olives, avocado, and local greens. This is another one that consistently stands out as a top dish when dining with friends. And it's a salad! Again, it's about a perfect marriage of flavors, and what's nice about this one is you think "Hey! I could do something like this at home! I think I'll try that...." (Update. It's not the same...I tried)
- Hoisin Braised Short Rib. Our server, Jonica, described this perfectly. Mom's pot roast x 6. I cut through this rib with chopsticks, it was so soft! There were the usual pot roast vegetables, like carrots, celery, and potato, but I liked the addition of the eggplant, which was almost caramely-sweet.
- 35-hour Braised Pork Belly. I mean, really. Do I need to say more?
- Panna Cotta. I've always got the profiteroles, which I thought could not be beat. But I must say...the panna cotta is the perfect end to a meal here. It's not too rich and comes with a trio of sorbets that cool and cleanse the palate after, you know, pork belly & stuff.

3. Kid's Menu. I feel a lot of restaurants here try to do a local twist on the keiki/kids menu, which is great, I suppose. But, if your kid's not a local kid, then something like teriyaki chicken & furikake rice or grilled mahimahi might still be a little much for your kid. I mean, isn't the point of a kid's menu to have familiar, universal, kid-friendly items where parents can be "PHEW! I don't have to worry about that...now if he could just sit still and entertain himself for a few hours..." Josselin's kid's menu, despite the wonderful display of flavors on the regular menu is straight-up 1) Macaroni & cheese 2) Pizza 3) Chicken nuggets & fries.

4. Shhh...they serve steaks on the weekends. And, if you call and give Andrew, the manager, a few days notice, he'll have a freaking awesome steak for you, if, you know, you crave the steak & potatoes, but everyone else in your party is swept up in this small, sharing plates trend....

5. A note on the price. It will, in all likelihood, be pricey. But hubs & I were perusing the menu and came to the realization that if you don't order every damn thing that looks good (ie, everything), you can get out of there with a decent tab. Skip drinks, like in most restaurants, and it'd be a good deal. In short, yes. You should plan on spending a few dollars chez Josselin's, but if you are on a budget, don't immediately assume it's out of the question. Look at the menu online, stick to a strict 3 plates and a dessert for 2 people, and it's quite reasonable...for Kauai.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We really enjoyed our dinner at Josselin's. The dishes are very creative and a delight to look at. And ofcourse also to eat. The Sangria-Bar was also very nice. Would go again!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have eaten here many, many times and I have never been disappointed. It is pricey but this is a resort community and I don't find the prices shocking.
The staff are attentive and super friendly. They can describe everything like they made it themselves.
The Deconstructed Ahi Roll is amazing both for its flavor and the dry ice/smoke presentation. The Butternut Squash Bisque, delicious. The Kabocha Pumpkin Ravioli is sublime and always causes a fight for the last one. I don't eat ribs but my husband swears by the Hoisin Braised Short Ribs and the 36 Hour Braised Pork Belly.
Absolutely everything I have ever had here is fantastic. Really.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

The concierge at the Sheraton Poipu recommended Josselin's and it turned out to be a fantastic recommendation. The menu features a nice selection of sea food along with a couple beef, pork and lamb dishes. The food is tasty and well prepared. The staff is friendly, efficient and very knowledgeable. The atmosphere is Asian inspired, comfortable and elegant while being Hawaiian casual. The menu items are reasonably priced making Josselin's a good choice.