“Not only terrible tasting, but gave me food poisoning”
Review of Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poipu Rd.
Description: Chef Jean Marie Josselin has created another masterpiece with this new and unique tapas restaurant. Imagine dining in a rustic, yet contemporary, style dining room with an open view of the kitchen where the wood-burning oven cooks fresh, local produce, fish and meat to perfection. Share several different tapas and taste incredible culinary creations. Enjoy refreshing signature sangrias served tableside like you have never had it before. This chic new hotspot on Kauai"s south shore will have you coming back time and time again, making each experience a memorable one. "The Whole Process is About Sharing."
Campbell River, Canada
“Not only terrible tasting, but gave me food poisoning”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm amazed how many people recommend this restaurant. I don't know if I came on the wrong night or what? I was highly recommended to go here for Christmas dinner. Me and my wife ordered some sangria, which I quite enjoyed, but once the food came to our table, I found it either extremely bland or so salty it was inedible. I left the restaurant with $120 less in my pocket and a case of vomiting all night. I strongly recommend to avoid this place.

• Visited December 2013

“Lovely decor Great Atmosphere.”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

First of all, hats off to the interior designers. Lovely decor. The place was buzzing and the wait staff was very attentive. The sangria cart was a very nice feature. Try the mix with pomegranate and lychee every nice! Overall the food was very nice. The kale salad was ok if you like kale. The salad with endame was nice and so was the cauliflowers. The sirloin steak was really delicious and very tasty. The only thing we did not like was the salmon tartar. It had a strange taste. The manager took it off the bill. It's a great place with a really interesting menu. Rather pricy, what what is not in Poipu! Would definitely return.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mauricen56
Seattle, WA
“Foodie Family Favorite - Rave Review - What to Expect”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is one of my families favorite restaurants anywhere. My vegetarian daughter loves it, my carnivore son loves it, my slightly spoiled self and spouse love it too. We always leave wanting to come back to try something else on the menu. If you like fabulous food at reasonable prices in responsible portions, then you'll enjoy Josselin's.

I recommend using Opentable to reserve a table. But if you find yourself waiting, Josselin's is on the second floor of an outdoor mall so there is plenty to keep you occupied, even if there is no ocean view. Their menu is in sections. You DO NOT need to order something from every section, if you choose to avoid the more expensive Entree section, it's your choice. We've actually ordered multiple orders of the same dish because we love it.

On this trip we dined here twice. Each time we shared multiple courses, had multiple drinks, (sangria too) shared dessert and left feeling extremely pleased for about $150 with tip. You can spend a lot more for a lot less at most major restaurants in Kauai. Josselin's would be a success wherever it was located. They take advantage of local, sustainable food, and it shows in the quality.

They also have a Sangria cart with 3 types of Sangria. We've learned to order "the mix" which includes a lychee nut. Yummy. The staff is very knowledgeable, ask what's good that day as the menu updates regularly. They will guide you to what looks good, not what's most expensive. Highly recommended!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ScottD58
Newberg
“Always a pleasure!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our treat to ourselves when in Kauai is to enjoy a meal at Josselin's. Loving Kauai requires paying attention and savoring unique opportunities. Josselin's culinary creativity and detail fit right into our favorite Hawaiian Island times. We remember being privileged enough to have enjoyed his special art back in the days at A Pacific Cafe. And we were overjoyed to discover he returned to Kauai to open Josselin's, making his delicious preparations on this beautiful island once again. P.S. The Lychee sangria is a must! We ate here in Feb and Nov of 2013. Contrary to other comments, the food is certainly not overpriced. Living in Oregon, land of Gabriel Rucker/Le Pigeon and Jean Marie Josselin to visit in Kauai, life can nearly be complete.

• Visited November 2013
San Francisco, California
“Consistently great”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Fresh local fish and meats, fresh local produce, and creative flavor combinations make for a wonderful dining experience. My wife loves the Deconstructed Ahi Roll while I'm partial to the Lamb Meatballs. This time we added the Tempura Ahi Roll, the Seared Feta Cheese Salad, and the Rock Shrimp Tempura. Really too much for two, but we've been doing a lot of hiking and used that as justification! Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. We noted that we've seen some of the same people working there ever since it opened. That speaks to good management in an industry where servers often seem to come and go with the tide. As others have noted, it can get pretty noisy. Try to get a booth - the intimate setting makes it at least seem quieter.

Visited December 2013