“Yuck”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My son and I know our burgers and these are the worst I have ever had. The fries are also worthless. It isn't the Kauai feed beef, we had other burgers that were acceptable, but these were simply horrible. Overpriced. Go to McDonalds for a double quarter pounder w/cheese, cheaper and better.

There are newer reviews for Bubba Burgers

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We wanted to do something casual for dinner after a long day of snorkeling, and chose Bubba Burgers. It was not amazing. Nothing specifically bad about it; just a burger, nothing special.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We saw several of Bubba's burgers throughout the island, and toward the end of my wife and I's trip we stopped in for lunch finally. We were not expecting the greatest meal ever, but since they seemed so popular we wanted to check it out. They were a little over priced for what you get.. The burgers are your typical greasy burgers, that were good, but not anything memorable. There are better places to stop for lunch for sure!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We really enjoyed our first visit to this burger joint, which is located at the beginning of an open-air shopping mall on Kauai, up the road from Poipu Beach and its resorts. We enjoyed the burgers, the fries, and in particular, the chocolate shake! I found the Teriyaki Burger delicious, though my spouse seemed to disagree. My spouse preferred the plain cheeseburger.

Our second visit was with my parents. The visit was great as expected until the older gentleman who works as a bus boy for the restaurant, unfortunately, began to spew vile comments about women and gay people! My parents looked distinctly uncomfortable, though I was immersed in reading the news on my smartphone. Anyway, we left shortly after the older man (who must have been 85 or pushing 90?) began telling us stories about how he refused to help people during his service in WWII. The food was decent, but great for the price, particularly in Kauai. A recommendation would be to take the food to-go, or carry-out. I would not recommend getting chatty with the older man who buses the tables, since he very well could leave you with a sour impression of the place. In summary, I recommend this place, though I think the older man should be fired for his inappropriate conversations with customers. Remember that customers are the lifeblood of an organization or business, and offending them by telling off-color jokes and offensive stories is probably a bad business strategy!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had spent the day on various beaches along the north side of the island, so we weren't in the mood to cook for ourselves, or in getting cleaned up to go out, so we decided to run out and grab burgers and take them back to the condo.

For two of us, we got two Bubba double burgers (prepared as they suggest but with no cheese), one fry, one onion ring, and a vanilla shake. All in, it was $25. While $5 for four onion rings seemed a little steep, why not. We hadn't been out for dinner and spent less than $100 while here, so a $5 order of rings was A’OK with us.

The burgers and sides were made once we ordered and not before, so for that they scored a point with us. It was all served hot and fresh, and we had it back at the condo three minutes later.

The onion rings were cooked really nicely, just a hue beyond golden brown. The rings were big and tasty. The fries could have been cooked a little longer for my taste, but every place has their own style. The flavor told me it was clear they pay attention to their oil’s lifespan.

We had read other reviews that the burger patties were small, at 1/6th of a pound, so we opted for the doubles. If you’ve been to the Midwest of mainland US, you might have had a burger at Steak ‘n Shake, and these reminded us of those – thinner patties with crispy edges. The burger was decent, and at $6 was acceptable.

For the reader’s perspective, we use In ‘n Out (mainland US) to be our gold standard for burgers, fries and service. For fries in general, we’d vote just about anywhere in The Netherlands as a top choice. But I did have some garlic fries at the Ritz Carton (in the ICC Tower in Hong Kong) that were pretty amazing.

Bubba’s was OK, but we wouldn’t go out of our way to visit. We would pick it in a heartbeat over any major chain “fast food” burger joint on the islands.