“Based on our experience, I would not recommend this place to others”

Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I just read the response of the owner/manager to a trip advisor review left by another member of our party regarding the Hale Pohaku "Beachside Resort". The review was entirely accurate. We did experience problems with the gas that left us without the use of the stove and the hot water heaters for 24 hrs during our stay, the beach equipment was non existent or in disrepair. The lawnchairs were flimsy and/or broken and there were many things that we not clean about the place, including the garbage bags in bins on the front lawn. . The managers response was inaccurate and even slightly delusional. If you stay here and have problems, you may find it difficult to get any kind of timely resolution. It is a shame too because some effective cleaning and a change of attitude from the management could really turn this place around. The location is perfect just half a block from the beach. Like most people, you may only get to enjoy the beautiful island of Kauai once in your life. Don't let your accommodations bring you down. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank travelwiz2010
There are newer reviews for Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort

Reviewed September 10, 2010

Dates of our stay: check in 15 July check out 21 July 2010. I was in a group of 12 adults and one teenager that stayed in three properties: 'Manager House', 'Beach Rose Cottage' and the 'studio'.

Note: this is a negative review. We have tried for nearly two months to get the property manager (Summer) to respond to our complaints but she or her employees refuse to do so. We paid going rates for accommodations of this size and proximity to the beach for the Poipu area and made all the payments in full and on time. We feel that as a business arrangement Summer has not kept her end of the deal.

First the pluses:
The units are light and airy with lots of interesting tropical landscaping.
Mostly the units are well decorated if you spent a few hours cleaning the dust from things. The entire property is less 100 yards from the Poipu Beach and City Park and is on a quiet dead end street. Even the adjacent ocean front boulevard is low traffic and very quiet. The complex had a really nice albeit tiny pool.

Now the problems:
There was a pile of uncollected garbage (five large overflowing cans without lids) and several broken chairs in front of the house for four of the six nights we were there. The smelly garbage attracted insects, wild chickens and feral cats.

The property was in poor repair and showed much neglect. The kitchen in the 'cottage' had a couple of broken cabinets. Many light fixtures in the 'manager house' were missing lightbulbs. The toaster in the 'manager house' either wouldn't stop toasting or did not pop the bread up. The kitchens in the cottages were poorly stocked, only the 'Manager House' had barely adequate numbers of plates, glasses, and utensils. The studio had a total of two spoons, even though it supposedly sleeps six.

Storage spaces in the kitchen in both the 'manager house' and the 'beach rose cottage' were extremely dirty. The shelves used to store linens were extremely dirty.
There were fingerprints from a toddler on the mirrored closet doors in the bedroom of the 'cottage' (there were no toddlers in our party). The BBQs were filthy, and no brush to clean them. When we complained Summer or her employee went to buy a brush, and left it for us to clean.

The cheap plastic 'outdoor chairs' would not hold a 200 lb adult. A chase lounge (also one of the cheap plastic variety) was broken. The equipment for beach use (chairs, masks and snorkels) was old and in very poor shape. This property lists full compliment of beach equipment but in reality it doesn't have any. When we complained durning our stay about the poor quality of the beach chairs we were told that 'people leave them down at the beach and they get stolen.' So don't put that you have beach chairs (or any beach equipment) in your listing.

The landlord ran out of propane on our third day. We went for 24 hours without hot water for showers or gas for cooking. With thirteen people that can get unbearable.

There were inadequate cleaning supplies, and only an old straw broom to sweep all that sand with. There were not enough towels.. and the ones we did have were stained...some with what looked like blood!

The 'Studio' is a converted garage. The 'free wifi' was only available from the living room of the 'Cottage' and from the porch of the 'Manager House'.

Spend your money someplace else.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank HelloThere2000
halepohaku, Owner at Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2010

As an owner, it's always a difficult situation to work with a guest who threatens in writing to upload a bad review (as this traveler did) if they don't get money back. It's particularly difficult when the first news I get that there was any problem whatsoever is such a threatening email.

That is, unfortunately, the case with this guest.

The review contains inaccuracies that are provable. We did not run out of propane. The guest called us at night to say there was no hot water, and the next morning the gas company came out. Some piece on the tank, which is owned by the gas company, had malfunctioned, so the gas company replaced it. They had hot water that morning, not 24 hours later.

Accusations that purported stains on towels "might be blood" are just inflammatory.

I'm not sure what size pool the guest has at her home, but our pool is a reasonable size for a private residence. If she wanted an Olympic sized pool she should have stayed at a hotel.

Yes, the guest did call us to ask for a brush to clean the barbeque pit. My manager immediately went out and bought one, and then cleaned the grill for her.

The studio is not supposed to sleep six, it's a studio! It sleeps two people. The comments about the cutlery are not accurate, nor are the comments about the cleanliness of the property.

The plastic outdoor chairs are the same ones that everyone buys for their yard. Yes, it's true this group of guests broke chairs, but they somehow managed to break even a wooden dining chair. In fact, we had about $250 worth of damage to the property, excluding the labor to replace plumbing parts and a towel bar.

We are more than happy to provide anyone who is concerned about the possible truth of this email to contact us directly. We are happy to provide you with many emails from happy guests. We have never worked at getting our guests to write reviews, but we have kept their emails. In fact, we have an email raving about how clean the property is and the great service they got from us from the guests who checked in immediately after this guest checked out. Here is what this other guest says:

We have stayed at Hale Pohaku on three separate occasions in the past and will be returning again in 2012. The last two times there we have rented the entire complex, because of our numbers. We are 10 adults and 9 children (our children and grandchildren). We love Hale Pohaku, and quite frankly, it's virtually impossible to find rentals in the Poipu area that will accommodate those kinds of numbers. The location could not be better--1/2 block from Brenneke's Beach and the park at Poipu.

The complex has the advantage that it is enclosed, which is especially good for kids, and also, that it has a private swimming pool, which is a rarity in free-standing rentals in that area. The swimming pool really makes it for us, since the young children have limited beach tolerance.
The website gives a very accurate portrayal of the units. All are clean, well maintained, and the setting is beautiful. We had a few requests, and Richard was very accessible and right on it. The fact that we will be returning for a fourth visit is hopefully a testimonial to the fact that we have been very satisfied.

Richard M.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We just spent the last two weeks at Hale Pohaku with 26 family members including 13 kids under 14, and it was great. The location is perfect, 1 minute to the beach, and the pool was a huge hit with the kids. The property was clean but could use a coat of paint, some fresh caulking, and some new appliances. The cottages are also in better shape than the house. The manager, Richard, was excellent at responding to our concerns and the only reason the sleep quality was only excellent was the roosters!

For a large gathering such as ours, the privacy, with the yard space and the pool made the trip extra enjoyable.

Thanks again Summer and Richard

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2009

My wife and I brought my family of 14 (including children, spouses, and grandchildren) to Kauai. We stayed for a week at the Pohaku Beachside Resort. in Poipu We had no problems finding it, and the lockbox with the key worked great. It was only a 1 minute walk from the beach which we enjoyed immensely. The facility itself was large, and although not luxurious, it housed our very large group comfortably. Because there is no air conditioning, we had to get used to fans, but we adjusted quickly. The pool was very refreshing, and we used it every day. This was one of our best vacations ever, and much of our enjoyment was thanks to a nice facility with a great location.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2009

The pool was fine while we were there. The bedding was also fine--not luxurious, but adequate. My kids tend toward wild and grubby on vacations, so they have no business sleeping on Egyptian cotton sheets anyway. In general, we were quite content with the sensible, sturdy bed linens and furnishings, but someone expecting something more deluxe might be disappointed.

On the other hand, the purported "WiFi" consisted of a very weak signal that we could only catch from one corner of the main house. We contacted both the owner and the caretaker about it, and were instructed to reset the router in one of the guest cottages, which we did, but it didn't help. The representation that there are boogie boards or other beach gear is completely laughable--there was only a pile of mismatched, broken and unusable chairs, flippers, and goggles. The owner either needs to rectify that situation or remove that description from the listing, because it's a flat-out lie.

My brother's family and our family stayed in the manager's house and attached studio (a/k/a converted garage) in the week before Christmas 2008. Our group included my mother and four kids, ages 5-11. This was our first trip to Hawaii, and I had done a great deal of research before settling on Hale Pohaku based on the glowing reviews I found on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. My few interactions with the manager were positive in the months prior to the trip, so I was really optimistic.

I wouldn't say that I was wholly disappointed, but the house didn't quite meet expectations (or, in some respects, the representations on the website). The property itself is a little rundown, although it's certainly not squalid. The screen doors are rusty, some of the plastic porch furniture is cracked, the windows are dirty, etc., etc. Still, we weren't expecting the Hilton, and appreciated being someplace where our kids had space to run around and play. The kids loved Hale Pohaku, and would be shocked to find out that I had any complaints. Indeed, we had a great time during our vacation, and the drawbacks of the house were minor in the overall scheme of things. The location couldn't have been better--and, while it was expensive, it was still a tremendous bargain by Poipu standards.

It wasn't a huge deal for us, but if I were looking to book this place with the idea of having my wedding on site, I'd be concerned that the grounds are not exactly pristine. There is worn-down turf and exposed dirt along main paths, and no one came to rake up the mounds of leaves that settled across the yard during the week we were there.

There are many simple things about Hale Pohaku that could be fixed with a screwdriver, a caulk gun, and a little attentiveness--dangling towel bars, messed up light switches, missing light bulbs, etc. It just feels a little neglected. The house is solid and well-built, with a pleasant flow, but it also really needs to be thoroughly cleaned. The kitchen cupboards were a bit sticky; the bathroom grout had an unfortunate amount of mildew. I appreciated the comment from another visitor about the complete inadequacy of the cleaning and other supplies. The broom was not up to the task of managing all the sand that we tracked in every day. There was also something weird about the washer--everything I washed had this faint odor of mildew about it. I chalked that up to the subtropical climate, but it was definitely noticeable.

I have to say, though, we arrived early in Kauai and stopped by the property a couple hours before check-in to drop off our luggage, and the housekeeper was hard at work cleaning up after the most recent guests. It was a little shocking to see the pile of debris, liquor bottles, and nasty crud left behind by other people. I think I would have been more taken aback by the less-than-perfect state of the house if I hadn't had that glimpse of what the housekeeper was dealing with in advance of our arrival. Personally, when I stay at a rental house I do my best to treat it with respect. Even though I'm paying, I'm also a guest. I guess some people have a different philosophy.

If we ever return to Kauai, we’ll probably stay elsewhere on the island just to have a different experience. If I were to stay in Poipu again with a large group that included kids, though, Hale Pohaku would definitely make the short list, despite its flaws.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Leslie38
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Like the previous renter, we too arrived in the dark, with VERY poor exterior lighting, and the directions from the airport were wrong. Thank goodness for GPS.

I called Summer (the owner/manager) the following day to say that light bulbs over the dining room table were burned out, the pool was filthy, and that we had no soap, shampoo or hair conditioner in our cottage. Also, there was no hair dryer. I NEVER received a call back. She did leave light bulbs on the doorstep four days later, but they were the wrong kind. The pool was only cleaned once in an entire week, and the chairs around the pool were never wiped down or cleaned. They had a dirt film on them the entire time.

Furnishings were sparse, the kitchen was NOT well stocked with either dishes, utensils or pots and pans, and the linens were NOT luxurious at all. The place was filthy...with ceiling fans that hadn't been cleaned in months, and there were thick layers of dust on light fixtures.

The floors got very dirty each day, and there was no broom or mop to clean with.

I could go on and on....VERY overpriced for what we received. I agree with the other reviewer...the only plus was the location.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Carmensmom
halepohaku, Owner at Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2009

I am truly baffled by this review. The description doesn't really fit any of our guest experiences in January.

If you are considering staying with us, please do a search on TripAdvisor for "Hale Pohaku" and you will find many positive comments about us from over the years.

I do notify all my guests twice -- once in an email prior to their arrival, and then again in a welcome letter waiting for them when they check in -- of the cell phone numbers for my housekeeping manager and my maintenance manager. Even though I live on Kauai, I have a daughter with uncontrollable seizures, and if she is having medical problems (as she was in January) I can't always count on being able to respond to phone calls from my guests. Both the email and the letter emphasize that my guests will receive faster resolution of their issues by directly calling either of these two individuals.

I can't respond to the accusation that the driving directions are wrong. In five years, this is the first time I have heard this and the directions are, in fact, correct.

Please read the other comments about us here on theTripAdvisor forums, along with the guest comments on my website, before deciding about the value of this review.

Reviewed January 23, 2009

My husband and I have been to Poipu/Koloa many times. I found this property on line and WOW, did the manager/owner (Summer) ever misrepresent this property.
On our arrival while dark and late we stumbled around for 1/2 hour trying to locate our cottate. We were given a four digit code to enter into a box to retrive our key. After three phone calls I finally reached Summer and she said our cottage was the garage remodeled. It was down hill from there.
According to the website and after speaking with owner/manager(Summer)prior to our arrival , we were to have Egyptian Cotton bath towls, Luxury high thread designer bedding, stocked kitchen, boggie boards to use, iron and ironing board, games, books, entertainment center with CD player, etc etc. Needless to say, the bathroom towl rack was hanging on by one screw . We were given one decent towl, it goes on and on. I went to use the swimming pool one day, it was dirty, the pool chairs were muddy. While outside I spoke with a family who had rented another cottage and main house. They were very upset as well with the accomodations and felt ripped off.

I contact Summer and the housekeepng three times for clean towls and sheets. Never did I receive a return call back. Once they received our final payment believe me, that was the last time we saw them. This property was NOT a value at all. I was not expecting the Ritz as we did not pay Ritz prices, but clean towls, bedding, a few things mentioned on the web we were promised, would have been nice.

The only nice thing about this property was the location.

Never Again...Stay Clear

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank TobRic

As an owner, it's always difficult to respond to a guest's complaints without seeming ungracious or defensive. I would like to ask anyone thinking about staying with us to search for Hale Pohaku on TripAdvisor and you will find many, many positive comments about us (including how clean our units and pool are) in the forums here.

All of my guests receive two notices, one prior to their arrival and the other waiting for them when they check in, asking that they contact my housekeeping manager directly if they have any problems. This is because I have a medically fragile daughter, and there are times when I just can't respond to phone calls promptly.

This guest did speak with my housekeeping manager the day after their arrival and none of the complaints mentioned in her review were mentioned. No mentions were made of any need for towels or bedding.

The only complaint expressed to us by the guest was that she was staying in a studio and she had expected to stay in one of our 2 bedroom cottages. The only explanation we had for this problem was that she had made and paid for a reservation in the studio and not in the cottage.

Complaints about the towels, bedding, and cleanliness were not received while the guest stayed with us, but only began several days after her departure.

Please take the time to read other reviews about us on TripAdvisor before deciding against staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Koloa
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort? Share your experiences!