“Gardens and Sculpture and Beauty! And Albatross!!”

Na Aina Kai Botanical Gardens
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Kilauea
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We've done the "stroll and ride" tour at Na Aina Kai Bontanical Gardens many times. It's always different and always interesting.

An easy activity for those who don't want to walk too much, you ride in a golf cart type vehicle for part of the time and walk part of the time. The volunteers are very knowledgeable and each do a slightly different tour.

If you go in June (and I guess April, May, July), you will see young Albatross getting read to fly away off the cliffs in Kilauea. They are very special and are protected there.

Lovely gift shop. Amazing, whimsical sculpture. An incredible selection of native and non native plants and trees.

Our friends and family who go with us to Kaua'i always find this tour to be one of the highlights of their visit!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was supposed to be a 5 hour tour of the gardens. However, Lisa warned us that she would go as long as we wanted; we ended up going for 7 hours. She knew pretty much everything about the place; names of the statues and their artists and when they were added. Most of the plants (and if she didn't, she was honest and said she didn't), history of the place and the creators Joyce and Fred (?) Doty. It was fascinating and entertaining and didn't really seem like that long. Lisa kept us all entertained with her tales of the lands, history, and how things were added and changed constantly.

The only downside were the mosquitoes - most everyone else was safe as long as I was there, because I attract them. At least Lisa offered several different options to reduce the itch, including knowledge of a local plant. I also wish the gift shop had had more choices in t-shirts (sizes and styles were very limited, unless you wanted a polo).

All the staff was wonderful, the lunch was fantastic (and you tell them exactly what you want down to your desert). They are very accommodating to special diet needs too.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We did the kids' tour of the garden & kids' play area. It was overpriced, but something new to try. I would not do it again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Reserve the pavillion and spend all day with kids and adults exploring the grounds. Good facilities.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We did the this with a family group including a teen and an 85 yr old so we did the cart tour. I think I would have preferred a walking tour. The cart has seats facing out, not forward, so we all felt we missed alot that was pointed out on "the other side." The volunteer guides were pleasant and knew about the sculptures and the plants they were pointing out. It seemed that they'd been well-trained as guides for this garden, rather than generally knowledgeable about horticulture. I went back and forth between an average and very good rating. Next time I'll try some of the other botanical gardens on the island, but this was worth doing once. We did get a treat in seeing several albatross chicks - still fluffy but getting big.