“Lisa is amazing (Walk on the Wildside Trek).”

Na Aina Kai Botanical Gardens
Ranked #7 of 29 things to do in Kilauea
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was supposed to be a 5 hour tour of the gardens. However, Lisa warned us that she would go as long as we wanted; we ended up going for 7 hours. She knew pretty much everything about the place; names of the statues and their artists and when they were added. Most of the plants (and if she didn't, she was honest and said she didn't), history of the place and the creators Joyce and Fred (?) Doty. It was fascinating and entertaining and didn't really seem like that long. Lisa kept us all entertained with her tales of the lands, history, and how things were added and changed constantly.

The only downside were the mosquitoes - most everyone else was safe as long as I was there, because I attract them. At least Lisa offered several different options to reduce the itch, including knowledge of a local plant. I also wish the gift shop had had more choices in t-shirts (sizes and styles were very limited, unless you wanted a polo).

All the staff was wonderful, the lunch was fantastic (and you tell them exactly what you want down to your desert). They are very accommodating to special diet needs too.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We did the kids' tour of the garden & kids' play area. It was overpriced, but something new to try. I would not do it again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Reserve the pavillion and spend all day with kids and adults exploring the grounds. Good facilities.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We did the this with a family group including a teen and an 85 yr old so we did the cart tour. I think I would have preferred a walking tour. The cart has seats facing out, not forward, so we all felt we missed alot that was pointed out on "the other side." The volunteer guides were pleasant and knew about the sculptures and the plants they were pointing out. It seemed that they'd been well-trained as guides for this garden, rather than generally knowledgeable about horticulture. I went back and forth between an average and very good rating. Next time I'll try some of the other botanical gardens on the island, but this was worth doing once. We did get a treat in seeing several albatross chicks - still fluffy but getting big.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I thought these gardens were interesting but not overwhelmingly so. One of the turn offs for me was the eclectic mix of tropical plants with sculptures that really seemed out of place. I prefer a more natural garden setting and found the statues and other set ups tacky or distracting. Our guide (a volunteer) was fairly knowledgable but for the amount of money people spend for the tour they should have someone who really knows their stuff. I wish I could be more positive about Na Aina Kai~ but I just had a hard time not comparing it to NTBG~Allerton's. The Na Aina Kai gift shop was fabulous and I give them two thumbs up for some of their unique gifts they offer!

1  Thank kauaitripper

Been to Na Aina Kai Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!