“Expensive, bad service, decent food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Kilauea
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Bistro: A small restaurant serving moderately priced meals in a modest setting.At the Bistro our goal is to serve fresh,local,and great tasting food, while trying to minimize our environmental impact. Please enjoy yourself in our modest bistro,and be assured that we put faith in taking time to enjoy food,drink,and life.
“Expensive, bad service, decent food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

On the positive side the atmosphere is pleasant and the food quality is good. Unfortunately that's the end of the pros.

The staff is just friendly enough to not be rude. They did the absolute minimum. We couldn't even get our waiter to describe meals to us. He just said, "you know" got flustered and "whatever." He never refilled drinks. The food portions were incredibly small I paid $25 for three scallops. If there was alcohol in my drink I couldn't tell. Once the bill was presented we never saw the waiter again even to pick it up. No offer of coffee etc. the kids were also dissatisfied with their meals.

I would not visit again.

Denver, Colorado
“Decent, nothing too spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I ate here last night. I had the Kauai Prawns (prawns over linguini), and they were OK. The service was prompt, although the waitress was not all that knowledgeable. She did warn us that the scallops on the appetizer menu was actually only a single $12 bacon-wrapped scallop. You have to buy the salad separately, no bread comes with the meal, and you very well may leave hungry. I have also been suffering some "intestinal issues" today, and it's likely the the prawns are the culprit. I wouldn't pay as much as I did for what we received again.

Downtown Orlando, FL
“Sublime dinner choice in Kilauea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This indoor outdoor restaurant had a really relaxed yet hip ambiance. A real balance of island feel and sophistication. Nice little"local" style bar in the front too. I highly recommend the Kalua Spring rolls appetizer, a lightly fried shell stuffed with Kalua pork and spicy mustard. My wife had the fresh grilled catch (white bean, arugula & tomato ragu prep) and I had the grilled strip loin. I had a plan to do different restaurants every night of our week on the North Shore, but we ended up coming back twice more it was so good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Miami
“Very good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place is very cute, with a very Kauai feel. The food was very good ,with a homemade freshness to everything.

los angeles, california
“Took forever to get food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was the only restaurant we regretted choosing during our trip.

The setting is pleasant and the live music was lovely.
The server was friendly but rarely stopped by our table.
Not many draft beers and mine was not filled to the top and didn't seem fresh.
Ordered: fish rockets, beef sliders, scallops.
Fish rockets were not so great- ahi wrapped and deep fried and overcooked.
Beef sliders were okay.
Scallops were overcooked and a little rubbery. As the food took close to an hour to arrive, it just didn't seem worth it to send it back.
Overall, a disappointing dinner.

• Visited May 2013