“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Kilauea
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Bistro: A small restaurant serving moderately priced meals in a modest setting.At the Bistro our goal is to serve fresh,local,and great tasting food, while trying to minimize our environmental impact. Please enjoy yourself in our modest bistro,and be assured that we put faith in taking time to enjoy food,drink,and life.
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Ate here twice during our stay on Kauai so that suggests it was good - which it was. It's not near the lighthouse so don't expect seaside dining. However the food and service were good, and the atmosphere more than made up for the lack of views. We'll be back next time we're on Kauai.

1  Thank robert-tas
There are newer reviews for The Bistro

Reviewed January 24, 2013

A little place we passed as we were on our way to see the lighthouse. A neat little place with different shops around to browse through...food was absolutely great...service was fantastic...and atmosphere was great.

1  Thank Dottie624
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We saw this reviewed well on Yelp I believe, and stopped in, attracted by the simple, almost Euro style decor, and the signs advertising the definition of bistro (moderately priced fare in a casual atmosphere, or something). We were there on a rainy afternoon and the food on people's plates looked delicious. We sat down and ordered cocktails - the server advised us (20 minutes later) that they were training a new bartender and apologized for the wait. One of the drinks was delicious, the other one was awful (I wish I could remember the name - I don't know if it was the new bartender or just a bad mix of drink). We ordered simple meals, which were, as most reviews say, resort-priced, which we accepted. The disappointing thing was that I ordered one of the most expensive items on the menu, which was vegetable skewers and they were a huge disappointment. I understand the pricing in general, but I do expect, for $17, more than just 2 skewers of veggies and a half cup of quinoa. I will say all the food was delicious. I could have eaten 4 more skewers of veggies and ended up finishing off my friends' fries from their fish sandwiches and such. It bears to note that the service was slow the entire time, not just for the drinks. We found the local dog visiting the tables to be adorable,and another family's kids were running around taking pictures of the dog the whole time.

I recommend they improve the speed of their service (not to match that of a chain like Chili's, but a reasonable speed), and revise either their pricing or portion sizes. The thought that I had the whole time was "well, this is a tourist spot, so it doesn't matter if they please people who will never be there again". I don't know if that is how they feel, but it was my impression. We walked around and saw a pizza/sandwich place next door that had a rack of books for people to pick up and was much more casual. I found myself wishing we had chosen that instead.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We ate here our first night on the island. The service was slow but friendly. I had ginger crusted ahi, and I thought the ginger-spiced breading overpowered the ahi (and was a little soggy,also). My husband enjoyed his shrimp dish. The bistro is in a small community and was decent considering that. As a tourist, I would prefer to eat at really nice places, but this place is ok for a small town on the north shore.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were somewhat used to the birds flying around and landing on the tables to pick up scraps, but the dog wandering around begging was way over the top.

Good beer selection; but food really at the low end.

aLOHA1988, Manager at The Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

I guess you don't like dinning with the locals. The Bistro is in a local community,it is not St, Regis a tourist only hotel or in a tourist town like Hanalei, and yes people that live in Hawaii have dogs, and yes, in a open air restaurant birds can fly in, and yes we do have lower price food for locals that can not afford to spend a lot an a drink and something to eat. We pride ourselves on being part of the blue collar Kilauea community. Please don't bash on our community.