“Manager ruined a pleasant dinner”
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Kilauea
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bistro: A small restaurant serving moderately priced meals in a modest setting.At the Bistro our goal is to serve fresh,local,and great tasting food, while trying to minimize our environmental impact. Please enjoy yourself in our modest bistro,and be assured that we put faith in taking time to enjoy food,drink,and life.
Reviewed February 22, 2008

February 12. 2008

This was a nice little restaurant and it had a pasta bar with 4 different sauces that was a nice change. Our problem was with the manager. One of our friends requested a small salad instead of the mashed potatoes with his steak. The manager said that he would have to pay an additional $6 for a small salad when it stated on the menu that you could get a small salad for $4 with your pasta. He had an attitude that turned a pleasant evening into a stressful one and because of $2, we will not be back.

1  Thank PASANDYBAY

Reviewed January 20, 2008

We made a point of stopping here for lunch because it was rated highly on this site and in Frommers. We were very, very disappointed. The service was poor, the food mediocre to pretty bad. We were first served flat Pepsi and it took nearly 10 minutes to get the waiter's attention to change it out. Turns out it was only water or lemonade, nothing else. So, the lemonade was OK. The fish burrito was completely bland, the mahimahi was incredibly salty and my son nearly couldnt eat it. The cheeseburger was nothing exciting, just so so. There is no view, this is just a pull over in a shopping center. We wouldnt go back -- there HAS to be better food somewhere near on this island!

1  Thank 3PalmsCalifornia
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We turned back from a huge, rain-soaked traffic jam on the highway, and found our way into the Lighthouse Bistro on a whim. We had excellent, friendly service (even though traffic jams cause restaurant overload in this little village), and a terrific lunch.

After I finished the best coconut shrimp I have ever had (and I have stayed away from them for years because of the batter and the grease - none here!), I used bread and even french fries to get the rest of the excellent sauce.

It was midrange in price and above average in quality. The room is pleasant - open air in good weather, but with clear plastic awnings pulled down, we were cozy in the rain.

4  Thank oscar505
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Almost decided not to go to this place because one of the guide books said that dinner was expensive compared to lunch. I am glad we ignored that advise.

The restaurant is open and airy, with the wait staff in black pants with long white aprons. We had music the night we were there. A man playing the guitar and singing. The menu featured fish, steak, chicken and pork. It also had a "pasta bowl" where you picked out which noodles you wanted and then went up to a station that had 2-3 different sauces. I think that was only $14.

I ordered the pork medallions that had pineapple chutney on it. It was served with smashed potatoes that were creamy. My husband had the stuffed pork loin with a cherry/mushroom sauce. It was stuffed with goat cheese, I believe. His also came with the same potatoes. Bread was served right away. It was white and fresh and came with a small slab of unsalted butter.
I think our entrees were priced at $22 and were prepared very good. While the portions were on the smaller side, I would rather pay more for a tasty meal rather than bigger portions that are not prepared well.

5  Thank Snorkellady
Reviewed January 13, 2007

This place is ON the road TO the lighthouse. No view of the lighthouse. It is in a small strip mall. Had lunch there only. Nothing to praise here. Just your average place. The dinner menu was observed to be very expensive. Considering how my lunch was, didn't get tempted to come back for dinner.

1  Thank kcchin