“What a find” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Kilauea
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Bistro: A small restaurant serving moderately priced meals in a modest setting.At the Bistro our goal is to serve fresh,local,and great tasting food, while trying to minimize our environmental impact. Please enjoy yourself in our modest bistro,and be assured that we put faith in taking time to enjoy food,drink,and life.
San Diego
“What a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2007

We turned back from a huge, rain-soaked traffic jam on the highway, and found our way into the Lighthouse Bistro on a whim. We had excellent, friendly service (even though traffic jams cause restaurant overload in this little village), and a terrific lunch.

After I finished the best coconut shrimp I have ever had (and I have stayed away from them for years because of the batter and the grease - none here!), I used bread and even french fries to get the rest of the excellent sauce.

It was midrange in price and above average in quality. The room is pleasant - open air in good weather, but with clear plastic awnings pulled down, we were cozy in the rain.

4 Thank oscar505

Maui
“Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

Almost decided not to go to this place because one of the guide books said that dinner was expensive compared to lunch. I am glad we ignored that advise.

The restaurant is open and airy, with the wait staff in black pants with long white aprons. We had music the night we were there. A man playing the guitar and singing. The menu featured fish, steak, chicken and pork. It also had a "pasta bowl" where you picked out which noodles you wanted and then went up to a station that had 2-3 different sauces. I think that was only $14.

I ordered the pork medallions that had pineapple chutney on it. It was served with smashed potatoes that were creamy. My husband had the stuffed pork loin with a cherry/mushroom sauce. It was stuffed with goat cheese, I believe. His also came with the same potatoes. Bread was served right away. It was white and fresh and came with a small slab of unsalted butter.
I think our entrees were priced at $22 and were prepared very good. While the portions were on the smaller side, I would rather pay more for a tasty meal rather than bigger portions that are not prepared well.

5 Thank Snorkellady
Honolulu, HI
“Lunch only.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

This place is ON the road TO the lighthouse. No view of the lighthouse. It is in a small strip mall. Had lunch there only. Nothing to praise here. Just your average place. The dinner menu was observed to be very expensive. Considering how my lunch was, didn't get tempted to come back for dinner.

1 Thank kcchin
Portland, Oregon
“Good food, a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2006

First off, as some of the guidebooks will tell you, there is no view of the lighthouse (or the ocean) from here. However, the restaurant is in a nice building in a small shopping center and looks out on a pleasant courtyard. There are lots of tropical flowers growing outside and the building is open, airy, and elegant.

The food was quite good. I had the coconut pork, and my wife had a chicken dish. The preperations were quite similar, battered meat pan fried. Hopefully their other dishes are a bit more creative.

Both dishes were quite tasty, and the ingredients tasted very fresh. The wine list was reasonably priced and had a decent variety.

The biggest complaint is that the food is overpriced. It's Hawaii, so everything is overpriced, but I still think the entrees are about $5-8 more expensive than they should be.

Having said that, this is still a great spot for a romantic dinner.

3 Thank kenopdx
El Segundo, California
“Papaya dressing to die for.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

For less than $10 you could get an excellent ahi sandwich or wrap at lunchtime. Highly recommend the salad with papaya dressing absolutely delicious. An open air restaurant with fast and efficient service. Since it's an open air restaurant, flies tend to hover around your food while you eat. Otherwise, this is a very good restaurant with reasonable prices.

3 Thank Cheezie