“The Cottage by the Sea”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Rental Home -
1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 2
Kilauea, Kauai, Hawaii

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 41 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Any
Susan_New...
USA
“The Cottage by the Sea”
Reviewed July 13, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

My husband and I just returned from our four night stay at Secret Beach Hideaway's Hale Lani. There were so many things about this property that was just right for us. The only mistake we made was in not staying here for our entire trip to Kauai. Coming in from NY where summer is humid and muggy, we (he) were concerned about the cottage not having air conditioning so we spent the first half of our stay in a one bedroom suite at the Hyatt. While the one bedroom suite at Hyatt was lovely, the properties could not compare. Secret Beach was serene while the other was hectic. Secret Beach was private and instead of hearing a lot of children screaming, you heard chickens clucking, lizards and frogs singing, and birds chirping. We liked to refer to it as the music of the cottage.
Regarding the lack of air conditioning, Secret Beach Hideaway provides it's own refreshing air through a carefully placed cottage on a hill top with constant Hawain breezes. Even my husband who keeps the temp of our a/c at refrigeration levels at home, agreed that with all doors open the breezes in the cottage were preferable to a/c. The views from every area in the cottage were stunning and the beauty and comfort of having breakfast and cocktails on the private patio with million dollar views, was better than any 5 star resort.
Everything you need is made available to you in this beautiful hideaway and what you may want is available in the little town center.
Beware there are many living creatures outside of the cottage. You will see frogs, lizards, cane spiders, birds, chickens, and many others, but you will rarely see or hear any other humans.
We cannot wait to return!

Lora M
Sacramento
“The closest I've been to Paradise!”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

Everything was beyond the beauty shown in the photos and the staff was incredibly friendly, welcoming and gracious. The Secret Beach is very secluded and beautiful, just a bit of a challenge to reach it, but absolutely worth the hike. The trade winds blew across us at night and we felt very secure and safe sleeping with the doors open. (A safe was provided for any valuables). The owner, Michelle Hughes went out of her way to assure our comfort and her attention to detail is impeccable. We rented 2 Hales for our use, and I cannot say which was more beautiful or more well appointed. I have not traveled extensively like many others, but I know perfection when I find it and this is it!

Todd380
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Lani cottage is a slice of Heaven!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012 for a stay in February 2012
person found this review helpful

After a lot of research, I finally found the perfect house to celebrate my partners 50th Birthday!

Trust me, I know, I am in the business. I own a vacation rental management company in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. I have a trained eye when it comes to attention to detail and customer service. There was not one thing I would change nor one request not granted. Michele even brought us a basket of fruits and vegetables from the organic garden/nursery on the property!

Michele Hughes and her team offer the very best service, the best locations and the kind of special touches that want you to return over and over again.

Look no further.

Lease your next dream vacation from Secret Beach HideAway!

And, if you are coming to Santa Fe, check us out at www.casasdesantafe.com

Todd Davis & Cris Richter

SBHBound
New York City, New York
“Plain old ordinary fact...”
Reviewed April 1, 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

I've never taken the time to write a review for anything in my life - never wanted to - and didn't think I'd be writing this one - period. But I thought about it and said - you know what - I said it - folks can use it - and The Michele Hughes Company deserves the nod - so why not? Below is an impromptu unedited text I sent to Michele yesterday - that simply rolled off my fingers after realizing for the thousandth time just how truly wonderful this place can be. I hope it helps you book your stay.

"Gorgeous day to you Michele! Please allow me. It is my belief that this tiny sliver of earth that you've somehow managed to transform into what we see and enjoy today is a direct reflection of a beauty in you and yours. I wanted to let you know that that beauty has had a wonderfully positive and uplifting effect on me - my lady - and others I'm sure. No matter what ins and/or outs - ups and/or downs this land puts your through - please know that my words are true. It's heavenly here. You nailed it. I'll carry pieces of this place wherever I go. No big catharsis here - just plain old ordinary fact. Thank you for sharing such beauty with the world! It's become one of my favorite places on earth. Pleasant day. My most respectful regards."

Six stars folks. You can't lose.

Traveling group: Solo
EdmondMei...
San Francisco, California
“A Luxury Rental”
Reviewed March 9, 2012 for a stay in February 2012
people found this review helpful

My wife and I spent a week at Hale Nanea. My only complaint is that it was hard to find on the web, when I was looking for a rental. The 1-bedroom cottage has an amazing view of the ocean (from which, we could see see whales) and sits on well-tended and impressively landscaped property. The highlights for me were numerous: You can walk from the property down to the beach (which is well-connected with a path), the beach is itself is wonderful and extremely secluded. I also enjoyed the hot tub at night where I could look up and see a star-filled sky. The view from the cottage, also include mountains to the west. Watching storms sweep along the mountains was stunning. As I live in the city, it was wonderful to go to sleep with the faint sound of waves, birds and frogs.

The cottage itself has tasteful art that I found up-scale (not the usual trite Polynesian theme) and soothing. The full kitchen was great, with excellent equipment, as I like to cook. Everything was well-maintained and in excellent shape.

JESGAR5
Houston, Texas
“Great Honeymoon Spot”
Reviewed May 31, 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

My wife and I stayed at the Hale Lani Cabin for our Honey moon, and really enjoyed the views, beach, and serenity of the location. There was a lot of information available in the cabin for things to do on the island, and the manager was extremely nice, informative, and even brought over some fresh produce for us while we were there.

There was one issue we had with the place, however. There was only one window in the bedroom to provide ventilation if you locked the doors at night while you slept, and with no AC, it was fairly warm with the doors closed. We heard of some burglaries recently, so we did not want to leave the place unlocked. There were screen doors, but they did not have locks. We did not have any problems with burglary while we were there, but also never felt comfortable when we left, and did not sleep very well at all. I do have to say that I liked the gated entrance, and that gave us some feeling of security when we left to go explore the island.

Other than the evenings, we had a great time. Actually we even had a great time for most of the evenings. There are incredible stars out at night, and just amazing scenery. the best way to describe the scenery is majestic. Mosquitoes were pretty bad if you stayed outside at night, and the Cane Spiders were massive. So my wife was fairly uncomfortable once the sun went down, but she did enjoy the star gazing.

The beach was fantastic, and there was a very scenic route to walk down to the beach as well. The trip back up would be a little challenging if you were not in great health, but I enjoyed the exercise it provided. They also provide you with chairs, umbrella, towels, and a beach mat to enjoy your time in the sand. I could not have asked for a better beach spot than this one.

Overall, I really did enjoy the experience, and would have thought this was the perfect getaway if the sleep would have been better. It was still amazing, and I would recommend it to healthy couples that enjoy the outdoors.

Value Cleanliness
Mustang20...
United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem amongst the Beauty of Kauai”
Reviewed April 24, 2011 for a stay in March 2011
people found this review helpful

There is just one word that can sum up this property – Stunning!
My husband and I stayed at the Hale Lani cottage for 10 nights and the time just flew by. The cottage, its grounds and the views are breathtaking. What we really enjoyed about the property was the privacy and tranquillity that we had – we only had to share with the local wildlife – which was fantastic!
The cottage was only a stone’s throw away from the secluded Secret Beach, where we got married – it felt like we had hired the cottage and the beach for our private wedding – it was so quiet and peaceful! We fully recommend staying at this property – it gave us the dream wedding and honeymoon that we always wanted.

We hope this place stays as a rental property (as we believe it’s up for sale), we look forward to returning to this paradise in the future.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing