“Excellent food, relaxed atmosphere, but slow service”

The Garden Cafe at Common Ground
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fresh Wholesome Healthy Organic Dishes Created From The Seasonal Crops Of Kauai's Best Farmers and Ranchers.
Bellevue, Washington, United States
“Excellent food, relaxed atmosphere, but slow service”
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and myself on our vacation to Kauai ended up at the cafe while drive up the coast. This place by the looks was not very inviting till we walked in. It was a nice open cafe with inviting faces and great smell of food.
We ordered two wraps for lunch. So the breakdown
Pros:
Great good
Good quantity
Inviting hosts and ready to change for special requests.
Great choices for vegetarians

Cons:
Really slow service. Took 40 minutes for the food to come out.

Overall a must visit if driving around,

Mansfield, Missouri
“OMG- The BEST ever!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Far and away the best food we were fortunate to experience on the island. The location, the staff, the menu were all wonderful! HIGHLY recommend it!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank ImaFarmer
Carlsbad, CA
“Excellent Lunch!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had the fish sandwich, which was grilled fresh mahi. Excellent sandwich made of top-notch ingredients.

The ball-and-chain grumbled about going to a "health food place" as he ordered the Kauai Beef Burger. His verdict: Best burger he's ever had. All burger ingredients were flawless and the purple sweet potato fries were the best!

We both tried the ginger ice tea, which the waitress warned is not to everyone's taste. The tea was both hot and cold at the same time. Very tasty,

The only flaw I could see was the wait staff. They seemed to be a little distracted or inattentive and our server was lacking in some basic waiting skills.

Was fun to explore the gardens after lunch.

Definitely worth a return trip.

1 Thank biker_dan
Princeville, Hawaii
“The Best Place to Eat on Kauai!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I wish these folks were open 24/7! As a newbie to this tripadvisor thing, I had to make sure that the Garden Cafe was the first restaurant I reviewed. We live on Kauai four months out of the year and have eight weeks left. We have been eating there at least three days a week since we landed and will not stop until we are on our way to the airport!

The food is fresh and flavorful, the variety is wonderful and prices are reasonable. We've been everywhere on the north shore including the Tavern, Paradise Grill, CJ's, and the Lighthouse Bistro and they all have the same boring menu: burgers, fries, old fish, etc. Here I know that I can always have a good, FRESH meal.

Our servers are always great, and welcome us like old friends. Sundays are really busy so we brunch at home. Otherwise, its a place that can't be beat on Kauai. Oh and for those nitpicky people who commented before I did, its the best (bottomless) cup of organic coffee I have ever had!

1 Thank Mark T
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“go for the specials, and not much else”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We moved down the street from this place and were so excited to have it within walking distance. It seemed like a great concept with a beautiful facility. We have visited there four times, and are becoming pretty disenchanted.
The food is simple. It seems easy to make that good. And most of the time it's tasty. The specials are the way to go - always good reviews there. The coffee is also delicious (although not local and $4 a cup). But, the gluten free tortillas are (ALWAYS) too tough to even eat (4 out of 4 times). The waitstaff is quite obviously undertrained and seem poorly managed. I have never once had good service. And it takes away from the food. It seems like they just throw these young girls on the floor without any training on server etiquette or how to talk to people and provide actual service. Also, they seem understaffed. As much as I hate to say it, I think they are failing on the details, and are wrapped up on the concept of what they are supposed to be.