“Too much information!”

Kauai Kunana Dairy Farm Tour
Ranked #12 of 28 things to do in Kilauea
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Enjoy a guided tour to Kauai's only dairy. The tours last 2-3 hours, include light breakfast, refreshments, fruit tasting, and cheese tasting. We do the farm tours every Monday and Thursday. Advanced bookings are required.
Irvine, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Too much information!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I visited the Kunana Dairy Farm Tour last week while visiting Kuaui. While we enjoyed the cheese, I feel like this tour needs some polishing. It's a small, family-run business, so I get it that these are the actual farmers and not formally trained guides. The farmers are extremely knowledgable and passionate about their farm. Nice people, tasty treats, but pretty pricey for the experience.

The Good:

My kids enjoyed petting and feeding the goats and chickens very much. They also enjoyed the massive spread of cookies, pumpkin bread and fresh lemonade upon arrival.

It was neat to try Avocados unique to this island. They tasted different, in a good way - seemed more nutty - I enjoyed that.

Fruits, Cheeses and goat by-products were for sale (lotions, lip balm, etc).

It was neat to see the facility and taste the different goat cheeses and Feta this family-run farm produces.

The goat cheese was absolutely delicious. Visit the farm toward the beginning of your stay on the island so you can buy and enjoy the cheese on crackers at your hotel during the rest of your vacation.

It was fun to see the list of all the hotels that order cheese from this farm.

Areas That Really Need Improving:

The tour was WAY too long. My kids are 8 and 10 and they were only engaged while around the animals and treats.

Food samples should be in a cleaner area. Not just spread out on the wooden picnic table that has ants on it. The tupperware was kinda iffy, too. Everybody just slathered their bodies with bug spray and sunblock and now these hands are plunging into the samples - there should be toothpicks in every sample.

Too much information. I don't need a history lesson on botany or goats or organic farming. A simple, "these are our citrus trees - we have lemons, limes, grapefruit...," would have sufficed. Instead our tour stopped for a very long time at every tree to discuss the merits of it and occasionally try a sample (one small piece per person straight out of a tupperware bowl). It was frankly, about an hour longer than it should be.

The tour took about two and a half hours. Our tour guide had no idea about the pacing for the tour. Hint: when people start wandering off and looking at their watches it's a sign that the tour needs to move along. We spent the first 45 minutes at the table area near the goat pen - hearing all about the different kinds of goats, their many differences, how much they are pampered and living a "stress free" life (because stress affects the taste of the milk and cheese according to them) and discussing the trees in that part of the property (there are over a thousand kinds of avocados, let's discuss them) and learning about the benefits of the disgusting noni fruit (sometimes used to treat certain kinds of cancer! They seriously said that.) My kids were already looking for other things to do. I don't blame them. Seriously, this is a small orchard, backyard chicken yard, and a vegetable garden. A little time (maybe 20 minutes total) was spent in a milking area (at a non-milking time - milking occurs after hours) and the cheese-making facility. My kids would have loved seeing a goat being milked. They tell you that the goats get milked in the early morning. How about a little video showing the process?

Unless your kids like goat cheese or feta, unsweetened grapefruit or avocados, bring snacks.

This was over-priced. Unless you are staying on the east or north side of the island, it is a trek to find the farm. It was $40 per person for adults and $10 per child under 12 years. It cost our family $100 to do this. And then you can buy their products.

I would suggest shortening this whole tour to closer to an hour and focusing on the product. Sample the fruits and cheeses together at the end. Charge $25 or $30 at most. Keep the information short and sweet. Answer questions while moving on to the next thing.

Summary:
These were nice people running the farm and I understand that farming is a very hard life. It was obvious that they were doing the best they could to bring in extra business and perhaps feel that a 2.5 hour tour is necessary in order to provide a $40 value.
If they simplify the tour by shortening the length of time and focus on the food produced rather than the farm itself, this would be much better. I would suggest a quick stroll through the orchard, skip the produce field, more time on the cheese-making part and finally end at the sampling table that overlooks the goat pasture. Drop the price a little and this place would be a fun little excursion. We felt that our time would have been better spent on the beach.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank jiminyspiffy

Manhattan Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fantastic Family Farm”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wait 'til you hold a baby goat in your arms! Ryan and Sarah Wooten operate/own an organic farm. Its a family business started by Ryan's mom and he has grown up with it. The 70-member goat herd is a trip and its such fun to feed them. But then there is the herb garden and giant tropical fruit trees. O, the fruits!

These people know their business and are so generous with their knowledge. They make goat cheese and other goat's milk products. All organic, all nicely presented and at a fair price. Go see them at the beginning of your stay so you have goat cheese for apetizers at night and the most delicious papayas ever!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kauai_Lover148
Oxnard, California, United States
“"It's All About The Girls"”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is the second time that I've taken this tour. I took it 10 months ago and brought my wife & kids back to see it. Ryan and Sarah are the best hosts. They open up and share their life and daily routines. It is a very informative tour. I learned a little more, the second time around too. They let you interact with the goats, share many of the sights, sounds, scents, and tastes of life on a Kauai Goat Dairy. They sell many incredible products. Samples are available for just about everything they sell. They do ship, as well. I will visit any time I come to Kauai.

Visited July 2012
Port Coquitlam, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A very interesting farm tour!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Ryan and Sarah gave a very interesting and educational tour with lots of tme to interact with the goats as well as learning a great deal about local flora and fruit. Everything tasted wonderful - especially their specialty goat cheeses. The following night, we had dinner at the Kaua'i Grill at the St. Regis Princeville and our first course came entirely from this farm - all the veggies and the cheese - great to see the support for a local farm - super fresh!

The tour lasted close to 3 hours, which we felt was about 30 to 45 minutes too long - the group sort of straggled around at times. Aside from shortening the duration a bit, our only suggestion would be to remove some of the abandoned farm equipment and other implements - would be a much nicer "look".

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Ian W
New Jersey
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Was nice but just okay for us..A few tips”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

After reading the reveiws, iI siad "we couldn't pass this up..Organic, family run, goats.".I am rating this a 4 star for it is family run, (delightful, passionate, and informative owners), great goats, and fun in the sunshine, However, for myself and my husband, it was just okay..(sorry for writing that, here is why)
1.) Lots and lots of kids. If you have children, Please go..Lots of fun for them. For us older folks. it was very distracting Couldnot concentrate on the tour. Found the young ones were just running around. If you have a 4 year old and above, this is perfect. The younger ones didn't get it and, again, distracting.
2.) The food is communal. Tons of little and big hands reaching in for the food. I food this unpleasant, just me, but. couldn't eat any of the delicious looking cookies, bread or cheese.
3.) Best part for us..Holding the baby goats.. Make sure you hold a goat!
4) I It is a bit expensive for us for the value was just okay, however, it you have kids, again, great place to take them for a 2 to 2 1/2 hour tour.
5.) Tours on Monday and Thursday starting at 10 am (FYI)
If all of the above doesn't bother you, then definitely go!
Sorry to have to write such a mixed bag of a review, however, I wish someone had written one for me so that I may have made a different choice, I was a bit of disappointment.

Visited May 2012
9 Thank NewJersey_7
KauaiKunanaDairy, Owner at Kauai Kunana Dairy Farm Tour, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
I am sorry you were on a tour where there had been a lot of kids booked. We understand that kids are a distraction when not properly looked after, and we have made some changes so that we won't have an overload of kids on the tour. We do want people of all ages to be able to enjoy the farm, and we gladly open it up to kids of all ages in hopes that the people that come on the property will be considerate of us and the farm.
As far as communal samples, we try to use as less packaging as possible, but I will now have spoons in the sample and hand them out myself instead of letting people reach in. And the cheese samples we do tell people to use new spoons with each sampling, and we provide enough spoons for that to happen.
As far as your value, perspective is everything. We provide a lot of information on a wide variety of things from goats to farming, and hope that all the knowledge is valuable in some way. But not everyone values knowledge. (We are one of the lower priced tours on the island FYI)
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were "a bit dissapointed" we do try and please everyone!