“Wonderful”
Review of Na Pali Sea Breeze

Na Pali Sea Breeze
Ranked #7 of 31 things to do in Kilauea
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just took our third trip with Na Pali Sea Breeze tours. Two were their Na Pali tour and the other was a whale watching trip from the south shore in March. Every trip has been a pleasure and is highly recommended. Special shout out to Brit, the crew person on all of our trips. He really makes the trip and goes above and beyond to make sure we enjoy ourselves. This trip is worth every penny and I hope folks take advantage of it.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked on line prior to our trip way easy and they provided all the info you needed. We booked the date at random, and got a beautiful flat day on the ocean, which doesn't occur that often here. You meet at Banana Joe's fruit stand and are shuttled to the Sea Breeze at Anini beach. A short wade to the boat and off we went. Immediately encounter 2 sea turtles in the shallows. Once out of the channel we encounter our first group, among serveral, of Spinner Dolphins, and they had a lot of babies with them. The Na Pali is fabulous and our guides were great, went into all the sea caves and learn a lot about the history of the area. Snorkeling was excellent with good equipment on board for everyone. Lunch was above average with excellent deli sandwiches, fruit, chips, and drinks. All and all a topnotch experience not to be missed in Kauai

2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went on a trip on the Na Pali Sea Breeze last Sunday morning. The views were, of course, spectacular, with some enhanced by the early morning light. We also encountered a pod of dolphins and went searching, unsuccessfully, for some manta rays that the guides had heard were in the area. (For some reason -- neither Bob nor Janet said, and I didn't ask -- Captain Bob didn't skipper, so we missed whatever wisdom he might have brought to the trip.)

Pros:

The boat is small enough that it can fit into many of the caves along the coast, and there's one in particular you don't want to miss.

The boat's size means fewer people. I think we had 12 on our cruise, and that seemed about right.

The guides were nice, friendly, and approachable.

Cons:

The boat is a catamaran and draws only 18 inches. The trip back to Anini was pretty bumpy -- not so much as to be uncomfortable, but enough so that we were happy to stay seated. Of course, coming from the south side, we'd have been getting banged around on the way in.

There's no PA system on the boat, and the engines can be loud. We couldn't hear about 75% of what either of the guys was saying unless the engines were at idle.

I'm not sure how credible some of the stories the guides were telling us were. But then again, I always get the idea that at least some of what the tourists are told is fodder for conversation at the bar where the guides hang out. ;)

Neutral:

Parking at Banana Joe's and leaving from Anini was no problem.

Snorkeling at Nu'alolo was fine, but your time in the water is basically so the crew can set up lunch. You're on the boat for the views of the coast; any time you spend saying hello to the fishies is just a bonus. You'll spend maybe 20 minutes if you want lunch, more if you don't.

Bottom line: You really must see the Na Pali Coast from the sea, and I'd recommend Na Pali Sea Breeze.

7  Thank PapaHedgehog
Reviewed August 20, 2013

How beautiful is the NaPali coast?! Loved every second! We had a group of 11 on the boat and went snorkeling, and on the way back saw spinner dolphins. Rough seas heading home and I was glad we were on a larger boat to handle the seas. Two thumbs up!

2  Thank MaryL0u12
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Took the Sea Breeze up the Na Pali Coast on August 9, 2013. Myself, my husband, and two 19 year olds had a great time. We loaded up on Bonine as we were worried about seasickness (especially for my daughter) but all were fine. She got a little queasy on the way out, especially when we would stop and float. The views are wonderful - certainly one of the most beautiful places on Earth that you will see. We got to go into caves with the boat and our captain (Ryan) turned it around so that we could see all sides, while the mate (Brit) gave us bits of history and geography along the way. We saw dolphins! The snorkel spot had a couple of boats, but all were small and I actually felt like I was snorkeling by myself. I followed a sea turtle for a bit while snorkeling...a highlight. The ride back was rough but FUN! It was like being on a roller coaster ride! Don't sit in the back corners unless you want to get wet - supremely wet!

We've taken Captain Andy's tour from Port Allen and wanted to see the other side. Both sides are lovely and unforgettable. If you've done Port Allen and are on island during the summer months, take the Sea Breeze!

2  Thank AltenaTime