“Great trip up the amazing Na Pali coast”
Review of Na Pali Sea Breeze

Na Pali Sea Breeze
Ranked #7 of 28 things to do in Kilauea
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great trip up the amazing Na Pali coast”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had a wonderful boat trip up the Na Pali coast with Captain Bob's boat and crew. The comfortable motorized catamaran (carrying no more than 16 passengers, so never crowded) leaves from Anini Beach, about 10 minutes east of Hanalei Bay, and goes up the coast for more than an hour, stopping at and entering cool caves with waterfalls and terminating at a reef where you can enjoy about an hour's worth of snorkeling in five- to 25-foot waters. They provide excellent sandwiches and beverages, along with the snorkeling gear, as well as very good tour guide info.
The Na Pali coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth, certainly, with verdant cathedral-like spires towering over the unbelievable azure of the Pacific crashing against the rocks in gorgeous sunshine. It's mind-blowing.
We also drove along with a pod of dolphins on the way back, perhaps a hundred together, and we saw sea turtles in the reef at Anini. Awesome!
I cannot pretend to compare this company with others, since this is the only such boat trip we went on. But I think most of the companies are about the same price and the same kind of trip. However, we saw some inflatable boats stuffed full of people in what looked like uncomfortable cramped quarters and were glad to be aboard our comparatively cushy catamaran.
In any case, I highly recommend Na Pali Sea Breeze.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank vaidaman

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced for the average experience.”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Good napali coast views. Place they take you to snorkel at the end is a dead reef with 5 or 6 fish. Not a real catamaran. Was a charter fishing boat with split hull like a cat. Will go elsewhere next time for 160 bucks per person. Not worth the cost. Dive trips are cheaper and see more. Go to Maui

1 Thank Scubaklown6886
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great tour of the na Pali coast”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

After reading a lot of different reviews of different boat tours we decided to book with this company. It's definitely expensive, but all the highly rated tours of the na Pali coast see to be about the same price. The staff were really friendly and informative and the coast was breathtaking. We didn't get to go in the caves and it was a little too murky for good snorkeling (the water was also a little rough), but we did get to see a lot of dolphins and the captain always slowed down to let us take pictures. The ride home is pretty rough so be prepared for that! I'd definitely recommend this company.

2 Thank Sicilly84
Evanston, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Sail With Captain Bob's Crew!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I chose the Na Pali Sea Breeze for our first Kauai honeymoon adventure, and we loved every second of it. Owner Captain Bob himself picked up the passengers from the parking area at Banana Joes' Fruit Stand and drove us the short distance to his boat, which is small but comfortably fit our tour which had approximately 14-16 folks. The trip was incredible -- regardless of what outfit you choose, a Na Pali boat cruise is a MUST -- but what set the Sea Breeze apart from other companies we researched was their small vessel's ability to ENTER sea caves and get up super tight to the geographic features. Our crew had great information but didn't overload it and kept the tour moving.

The snorkeling at the halfway point was okay, not as good as many of the other places we've snorkeled in the Islands. The deli lunch was legit. We took the afternoon tour, which the guidebooks say not to do because of rough seas, but the trip back was not overly rough. If you don't get seasick, take the afternoon tour -- we thought the angles of the sun made several of the Na Pali views more spectacular than they would have been in the morning. Captain Bob took us back to our cars, personally thanked every group and chatted at length to get our feeling for how the trip went. He's been doing this for 40 years and his love for it still shows.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank TugboatDoug1
Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“An all-around amazing experience!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

If I could give this tour and company 10 stars, I would. Even before the tour, I was impressed with the friendly customer service. I booked this excursion about a month in advance based on the glowing reviews in The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. Janet was so friendly and informative on the phone when I called. She gave me all sorts of information about what to expect, what to bring, and where to meet the group for the shuttle pick-up. She promptly sent an email reiterating what she had told me, which we really appreciated.
Now, on to the tour itself:
The boat is comfortable and easy to find shade (which I appreciate because many other boats you see out on NaPali are either overcrowded, without shade, or both. Our captain and "first mate" (Ryan and Mike, if I'm not mistaken) were so accommodating and informative. They clearly love what they do and are excited to share their knowledge about Hawaii with others.
The tour was phenomenal. We began by sighting some dolphins. Had the opportunity to go into (!!) a couple of sea caves, and at the snorkel spot, saw great fish and even a sea turtle. Not to mention the awe-inspiring coastline as a backdrop.
Lunch is a tasty deli sandwich choice with fresh bread, lettuce, and veggies. Fruit, snacks, and drinks are ample.
Do yourself a favor and see NaPali with these guys. It's an all-around excellent experience!

4 Thank P-Fow