“Worth it”
Review of Na Pali Sea Breeze

Na Pali Sea Breeze
Ranked #7 of 31 things to do in Kilauea
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have to admit that as a budget traveler, I cringed at the price tag for this trip, but I knew that I had to see the Na Pali Coast and, after a lot of reseach, decided that departing from the North of the island would be the best choice. I'm glad I went with Na Pali Sea Breeze. We departed no a brisk morning on July 22 and were the first ones on the water. Our captain was very skilled and talked easily with us about what the trip was going to be like and did some incredible maneuvering to show us the sea caves along the coast. His mate, Jake, was a really great guy: capable and very open and friendly, pointing out sites along the way. I don't have to really say that the Na Pali Coast is absolutely breathtaking. Sea caves, waterfalls, lush green valleys, sea turtles and dolphins -- incredible! If you can afford to see it by boat, do it. Our ride was pretty smooth and I'm glad that I didn't go on a Zodiac because it would have been a lot more bumpy. We hit a rain cloud coming back so it started pouring, but our captain continued to navigate us back to Anini Beach very well. The snorkeling on this trip was fabulous! High quality gear provided by company. Yummy sandwich lunch, fresh pineapple and drinks also provided.

1  Thank viajera511

Reviewed July 27, 2012

... we had it all that day - a nice captain on a not too crowded catamaran, beautiful, sunny weather... and then sea turtles showed up, whales were sprouting and jumping a couple of hundred yards away - and dolphins were joining us, swimming and playing along the catamaran... what a beautiful half-day trip! Not to forget the stunning views on Na Pali Coast line and the ocean, again and again... Get up early - and get stunned!

2  Thank Katimichele
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The experience was great. Our family of 4 included one 18 year old and on 12 year old. We took the Sea Breeze tour on the morning of July 3.

Being high season, I made reservations several months in advance before the tours from the north shore were running yet. When I called, I got Bob (owner) directly and he was dropping new engines in the boat for the upcoming season. Since he had his hands full, I called a few days later and got Janet. She took the reservation and gave good, detailed instructions on what to do once we arrived in Kauai.

When we arrived, I verified the reservation without issue. Janet informed me that we would have an 8:45 (later than usual) start due to the tide schedule. The Sea Breeze leaves from the Anini beach boat ramp. When the day came, we met at the meeting location and where shuttled to Anini. Boarding the boat was a snap.

Although the tour was full with 16 passengers, the boat did not feel cramped. We were soon on our way. The weather was average/overcast but the Na Pali coast still delivered. The swells were not too bad and we got to go into a couple of the sea caves. Pretty cool. The crew were Chris and Mike and they did a great job. Narration was informative and interesting. I thought it to be the appropriate amount of commentary. They let the views do most of the talking and added history and color at spots along the way.

The kids were looking forward to the snorkeling. Maybe it was the combination of the overcast weather the chosen location but I thought the snorkeling pretty average. The equipment was well maintained and crew where very helpful.

The ride back was a bit choppy and we even got some rain. One passenger did get sick at the very end and Mike was very compassionate in helping him out. I'd say take the dramamine in advance just in case regardless of the expected conditions (the kids and I did). My wife would differ (she refused). None of the family got sick fortunately.

Leaving from the north shore is the way to go if you are there in the right season. The ride back against the wind was a good hour+. I can't imagine the length of the ride from the south shore tours.

Anyway, thumbs up to Na Pali Sea Breeze and crew. Great experience.

3  Thank tamubu
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was an adventure with the best sights that the Napli Coast line had to show. Snorkeling was fantastic and the cruise was much nicer then the south shore excursions. Highly recommended :)

1  Thank just_having_fun_50
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Me and my wife went on the Na Pali Sea Breeze cruise while in Kauai and really enjoyed the experience. My wife even said it was one of the highlights of her trip ( besides spending time with me of course lol). We had reserved and early morning cruise and after the required weather check-in at 6:00 a.m. we proceeded to our designated meeting spot. The meeting time was 7:15 and we arrived about fifteen minutes early to make sure we were on time. A nice woman was there to greet us and when the rest of the guests arrived we loaded up in the van they provided and headed towards Anini Beach. Once there we transferred over to the Sea Breeze which was a decent enough boat. Nothing really special but adequate enough for the four hour trip. Captain Chris and the crew were very nice and open having several conversations with me and the rest of the passengers, even taking pictures of couples traveling by themselves. The batteries in my camera had run out and they even offered to take some pictures of me and my wife with their camera and e-mail them to me. They were very knowledgeable about the history of the coast and though I usually don't care for the usual guided tour spiel I found the information very interesting. The water turned rough while we were on the tour, so we didn't get to enter the caves like I assume they normally do and while we did stop to snorkel the water was very murky and you couldn't see anything. This was not the fault of the Sea Breeze crew and I appreciate that they were more concerned with our safety than getting a better view of a sea cave. The lunch provided was very good deli sandwiches from the local grocery store and were good enough that I went to the store to buy one for myself a day or two later. On the ride back we encountered a large pod of dolphins which Captain Chris followed for us to get a good look at. I even saw one jump about ten feet in the air while doing a spin before falling backwards into the ocean. The Views of the coast were amazing of course as I am sure anyone wanting to take this trip already knows.
I would definitely recommend Na Pali Sea Breeze to anyone looking to cruise the Na Pali coast, and I already am planning my return and fully intend to use them again myself.

2  Thank Cslyles76