“Fun Deep Sea Fishing Adventure”
Review of Na Pali Sportfishing - CLOSED

Na Pali Sportfishing
Syracuse, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun Deep Sea Fishing Adventure”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We enjoyed the 4 hour Deep Sea Fishing trip with Nathan. It was my husband and I and another couple on the 8am trip. We caught about 6 or 7 Tuna and 1 Yellowfin (Ahi) Tuna. This was my husbands first trip, I have been once before in Florida. For serious fisherman a 6 hour tour is probably a better option as it does take a while to catch fish. We had great views of Niihau and saw a lot of whales too. We were given a large bag of both Tuna's to take home. Nathan told us to marinate it in Hawaiian Teriaki sauce and it was great. It was part of the adventure to cook the catch for dinner. I'd recommend NaPali Sportfishing to others.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank AdventureGirl73

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Kauai/Na Pali Deep Sea Fishing”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

It has now been 3 months since my trip fishing, and I am not usually one to write a negative review, but my blood still boils when I think about this trip.

A little background for you: I am from the midwest and do a lot of guided fishing on the lakes and rivers. We have a conduct we try to adhere to that ensures everything goes promptly and in the best interest of the customers. The unspoken rule is that the clients keep their catch. Be very aware that on Nathan's boat, as taken directly from his website, "Please be advised that on Kauai, the catch is the property of the captain but we love to share so we will fillet up some of the catch for you to take home to your accommodation! No mess or fuss at grilling time." My gut sank in anticipation we might not keep any of our catch, or would have to purchase it above and beyond the $200 we each paid.

There were three in our party, and a stranger.

First, we were asked by Nathan prior to our arrival to change to a different day for 'calmer water' even though the forecast said otherwise. Our conversation with the Capt Andy's Zodiac tour at the landing confirmed our original day was supposed to be the best. Still not sure why we were asked to switch, but we think a cost offset for the stranger is why. Four people on one trip, instead of two trips with 3 and 1 respectively.

Second, we booked a 6 hour tour. We were at the landing at 645, ready for launch from 7-2. Nathan pulled up at 6:50 with the 34' boat on trailer. Let's just say we were not out of the harbor till 7:50; there went our first hour of 'fishing'.

Third, Nathan drove us up the Na Pali to what looked to be good fishing grounds. We had purchased ocean charts ahead of time (Navionics in App Store) and were following our boat trail over great structure. Within the first 3 hours, we had six 5-6 lb tuna. It was great. Then we got a 35 lb yellowfin. We kept circling a particular area that clearly was holding fish.

But then we turned back.

And proceeded to troll straight back to the landing. No real turning, no following of depth contours, just getting our 6 hours in. The last three hours resulted in no fish, surprise surprise.

Fourth, before we hit the landing, Nathan filleted the fish and divided them up. The biggest and best fillets, he put into his own cooler. That included 1/2 of the large yellowfin, and 1 of the 5 lb tuna. As a guide, I was horrified. I immediately felt ripped off as a customer.

Further,remember, 3 in our party, 1 stranger. Each party, not person, was given a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Our party's bag did have some more fish in it, but the distribution was definitely not 'equal' had each person been given 1 bag. I almost came unglued since our party covered 3/4 of the cost of the trip, and left with almost the same catch as the stranger.

Then the fact that the Capt kept almost half the catch for himself, staggering. I could have bought more Tuna from the fishmarket with the $600 I would have by not going on the trip. The fact that he was gracious enough the 'share' his catch with paying customers was a real gag.

All in all, yes we caught fish. But our party left with a very poor impression of deep sea fishing, and of the services offered by Na Pali Sportfishing.

Visited January 2013
6 Thank A125w
Maitland, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“First fishing charter!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband booked a 4-hour fishing charter with Captain Nathan and Na Pali Sportfishing. We really wanted a 6-hour tour at least, but the slots were all filled when we called the Friday before we wanted a Monday tour. We brought a cooler of water and treats for the morning, and met at the harbor at 0700. Given the shorter duration, Captain Nathan told us we'd be trolling in an area off the Na Pali coast.

There were six lines for six people, and each pair of lines were baited for increasingly large fish. Our instructions were simple: look for bird mounds, holler when a line was being pulled, and let Captain Nathan set the line before reeling anything in.

This was my first fishing charter, and what a trip! In all, we caught 8 skipjack tuna and 2 wahoo. Captain Nathan cut up all of the tuna and divided it up into three ziploc bags: one for each pair of us on the charter. The wahoo were not offered to us, but I'm not certain what we would have done with them given the large amount of tuna we each had! In between bouts with fish, Captain Nathan told us about the coastline, about fishing in this part of the world, and about growing up in Hawaii. As a newbie, I appreciated his patient reassurance as I struggled with my first fish, as well as the opportunity to take as many pictures as we liked.

If you enjoy ahi poke and want a fun experience out on the water, I highly recommend contacting Na Pali Sportfishing. If possible, plan ahead and get longer charter. If you're limited to a 4-hour trip, try NOT to schedule something else immediately afterwards. The wahoo were captured later on in the trip, and Captain Nathan said he'd stay out with us as long as fish were biting and no one had any obligations that afternoon. Speaking for myself, I was happy that all six of us were totally free and appreciated the captain's offer to stay out longer on the water. On our next trip to Kauai, we will definitely be requesting another tour with Captain Nathan!

Visited September 2012