“Good visit”

and up
Waimea Canyon Bicycle Downhill
Ranked #4 of 13 things to do in Kekaha
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful state park encompassing 4345 acres and containing 45 miles of scenic trails.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Takes a bit to drive up the windy road, but our whole group did feel it was worth it. Some did a small hike - easy trail, while others stayed and at at the lodge. Really good food and lots of hiking trails in same general area.

There are newer reviews for Koke'e State Park

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We hiked one of the ridge tops along the coast. It had the best view I have ever seen in my life. It was strenuous, but totally worth it.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We hiked the Pihea trail and while the views were wonderful, when we could see beyond the clouds and mist, the trail itself was so slippery as to be a distraction. I'd recommend Kokee State Park to anyone and we found some other trails that provided just as good views without slick clay ruts for trails.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great hiking. Swamp trail a must. Check the weather before you go! It can get very rainy up there. The hiking cannot be beat.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The views of the coast are so beautiful they seem unreal. Waimea Canyon is also stunning. Go on a relatively clear day or you won't see much. Great hiking but be careful. I've hiked all over the Sierra Mountains, Cascades, and Appalachians. This trail was the scariest thing I've ever done. A portion of the trail was choked with 6 foot tall grass we had to pick our way through all the while hoping we were still on the trail and not about to walk off the edge of the cliff. Eventually the grass cleared and we found ourselves on a trail a little more than two boots wide that literally scaled a cliff outcropping. There was a sheer cliff face above and below us. As we inched along the cliff rock crumbled out from below our feet. Since we couldn't see more than a few feet ahead we were unable to judge when this portion of the trail would end. I am guessing a couple hundred yards. Hard to know as we were scared for our lives the entire time. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Come prepared with good hiking shoes/boots and plenty of water. The views are unsurpassed. On return home I met someone who had lived his entire life on Kauai. When I told him about the trail experience he commented it's not unusual for people to be seriously injured or die on those trails. Curiously enough we had told the park ranger our plans and inquired about the weather for the day. He never said a word about the trail condition. Maybe it was par for Kauai trails. I would recommend asking specific questions about the conditions of any trail you plan to hike. We had also hiked the first portion of the Kalalau trail. This was also challenging because you are scrambling over rocks much of the way. Combine the smooth rocks with they clay dirt and frequent north shore showers and you have a very slippery hike. Again hiking shoes/boots and plenty of water are highly recommended.

1  Thank L0ve_the_0utd00rs