“South Shore/Waimea Canyon”
Review of Kauai Eden Tours

Kauai Eden Tours
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Kealia
More attraction details
Owner description: Truly experience, and photograph many of Kauai's most spectacular and off-the-beaten path locations with a friendly, personable, fun private guide! Sightseeing tours to moderate hiking adventures to waterfalls and breathtaking secluded coves. These are private, customized Kauai day trips! Like to snorkel? Great! We are here to create a fun, memorable day on Kauai for you and yours. Want to experience opening a coconut with your bare hands? Let's do it! Explore breathtaking beaches, vistas, waterfalls, Kauai movie locations, safe places for children, enchanted forests, restaurants,and more. All Tours include: water, beverages, fruit and Karen Tilley's Kauai guide book. I look forward to meeting you. Karen
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On August 14, 2013 I took a day tour with Karen of Kauai Eden Tours to the Waimea Canyon. She picked me up on time at the Grand Hyatt where we proceeded to go to Baby Beach. While there we saw a sea lion sunbathing, then swimming back out to sea. Although this is a public beach, you wouldn't know it was there since you have to park along the street and look for the beach access sign. The waters are very calm here during the summer; nice spot for kids or to do some snorkling too. Karen asked about some of the other things I was doing so as not to duplicate the stops and waste time. We drove to Hanapeppe for a short visit, then to the overlook and finally drove up to the Canyon. The weather was mostly sunny at the base, but as you go up higher, it changes. The lookouts were great. Clouds would come and go, a sprinkle here and there. When we got to the top, the clouds gave way to sunshine and made for some really nice pictures. There are many opportunities for hikes along the way. The bathroom facilities aren't that great though at any of the stops in the Canyon. On the way back down we stopped at the museum store and then back to the hotel. Karen is an easy going personality who eagerly shares what she knows of the island, suggesting different places to stop and spend some time. Got some really nice pictures and ideas for the balance of my trip.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"waterfall"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2013

For the most part this was a good trip. some passengers didn't like the drivers driving. we did get to see some interesting's spots. It seem to be a little high priced compared to other tours we took on same island, just the other side. Van they were using broke down, with six people it could have been little bigger, but all and all nice trip.

Kauai_woman, Owner at Kauai Eden Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. We're pleased that you felt it was a good trip overall. My husband Jay enjoyed taking your group sightseeing. Your review implies that our van broke down during the tour. That was not the case. Jay rented a reliable minivan for your tour, rather than using our company van, which was experiencing mechanical issues . In the future, as needed, we'll rent a larger minivan to accommodate six people. We apologize if Jay's driving was a concern to some of the passengers. This is the first time he has received any negative feedback. I've spoken with him and we've addressed the issue. Please be assured that he is doing his utmost to be more conscientious of his driving practices. He has never had a driving infraction. Additionally, we wish to address our tour cost. Our prices are comparable to most private tour companies on Kauai; the price may have seemed higher due to the extra cost for lunch ($10 per person), which Jay pre-ordered and picked up prior to meeting your party. We're happy that you enjoyed seeing some of the island's beautiful sites and that you felt it was a nice trip. Please be assured that we've taken your comments to heart. We always strive to provide the best and most memorable experience possible. Sincerely, Karen

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was on Kauai for the month of March this year and had many opportunities to see the island and interact with Karen and her husband Jay. Both were super friendly,knowledgeable, and gracious. They are also people who extend themselves to others unreservedly in a time of need. Truly the aloha spirit and I would recommend their service wholeheartedly.

Kauai_woman, Owner at Kauai Eden Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Many thanks for taking a Tour with me and for sharing your opinion with our TripAdvisor readers. I'm sorry that I was not able to fulfill your expectations due to the vehicle I used for the tour. My Honda CRV vehicle required a repair so hence the use of the 2005 white Aveo.
My husband has used his Aveo for many tours for 2 or 3 people without complaint. Since it was a 2 person tour I felt that it would be fine to use that one instead.

The air conditioning does work, but admittedly not as strong as it could. We hope to have it fixed by next week.

In regards to your feeling that I should have called you the night before to tell you that the Honda CRV was not going to be used so that you could have had the option of canceling the Tour, I did not realize that the vehicle used would mean so much to you. In regards to the towel on the back seat, it is quite a common practice here on the Hawaiian Islands.

Our main goal is to create memorable vacation experiences for our guests, and I regret not doing so for you. I sincerely hope that you’ll return to Kauai in the future and give us another chance to show you the wonderful personalized service we strive to provide for our guests. Please contact us to assist you in arranging your next visit should you choose to give us another opportunity.

Mahalo,
Karen

Reviewed August 22, 2013

After months of planning with Eden Tours one week before we leave Karen tells us she can't guide our tour as she is taking a holiday. Instead, her husband Jay guided us around the north shore of Kauai. We saw some beautiful beaches -Hanalei Bay where South Pacific was filmed and small beach where Gilligans Island was filmed, visited the neighborhood Kapaa to get a feel for housing and island living, and Opaekaa Falls.) Overall a good tour, a bit pricey compared to some others. Our only concern was Jay drove a bit too fast for us and he tended to tailgate causing some of us to cringe a bit.

Thanks for your review; I've also responded to your family member who wrote the review on 8/27/13. I'm glad to know you had a nice tour. I'm back from visiting family. I wish to address your mention about being notified one week prior to your trip that my husband Jay would be your guide, rather than myself. When we initially spoke on the phone in early February, I had hopes of visiting family this summer, but I didn't know the exact dates. That is why, in my Confirmation Letter of 2/13/13, I said that "Jay or I would do our very best to get that all [in] in 6 hours". Then on 7/23/13, I wrote in my email that Jay would be your tour guide. My apology for any miscommunication. I'm deeply sorry that Jay's driving was a concern to some. Your group is the first to comment on this. I've spoken with him and he has taken your words to heart. He generally gets rave reviews. People so enjoy his demeanor. Based on your important feedback, he is driving more conscientiously than ever before. Our greatest wish is to provide a positive experience for everyone. Also, we wish to let you know that our prices are comparable to most private tour companies on Kauai; some even charge more. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your tour and were able to experience the many spectacular north shore vistas and beaches, and get a good sense of island life. All the best, Karen

See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had the pleasure of meeting Karen; she is a wonderful person to explore the ocean with.
We had great fun snorkeling and she knows where the green sea turtles often frequent. Sure enough, we were able swim with a giant green sea turtle and amongst many unicorn fish (she knows how not to spook them). On our snorkel adventures, we were in the water for about 2 hours each day, which is longer than any of the other snorkel tours I did or even read about.
Karen also knows gorgeous places that are not crowded - as well as the more popular beaches. Even on the popular north shore, she can take you 10 minutes from your vehicle and have you feel like you are in the jungle. I also appreciated her sincere interest in protecting and preserving the natural environment; her tips are spot on.
Her recommendation of where to eat on the north shore was excellent. In fact, my son insisted that we eat there again - with ample rainbows both nights and underneath the stars almost. Both my wife and myself were fine with that as their food was quite good.
All in all, Karen helped make our trip to Kauai more memorable as we were able to connect with a friendly local there, who cares and respects the land and the creatures that live there.

1  Thank Lance G