“Nice Condo with good and bad”

Wailua Bay View Condominiums
Ranked #3 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Michigan
“Nice Condo with good and bad”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I chose the Wailua Bay View because it was in the middle of Kauai so that I could explore the the island. The condo was clean and bug free and good choice for this trip. Previous times i stayed in the South Shore area, which I now know I prefer. I thought the condo 214 was very nice but even though at the end furtherest away from road, still had road noise. The bedroom is on the road side so hard to sleep past 6am. If you want to explore the island staying on the east side is good, but if you want constant sun, stay on the South shore!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank sunnylooker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This condo, though unassuming from the front, is a hidden gem on the island and is really the best bang for your buck. Located right on Wailua Bay, every single unit has incredible views of the bay. All of the units are nice, with kitchens, washer and dryer, and ability to sleep 45 comfortably. This is located in Kapaa town which is centrally located for a good jumping off point.

Only down side is you are located right off the main highway so there is road noise, especially in the bedrooms. I would recommend a lower floor unit to limit this noise. This is also not a good place if you want to go and stay at your condo all day. Best as a jumping off spot for further exploration of the island.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 115 and while it was basic, it had great views and limited road noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank NWtraveller_77
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Wailua Bay View and condo 115, which our vacation rental company manages. We agree that the value and location of the Wailua Bay View is hard to beat!
We hope to see you back on property in the future!

Ojai
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed in 214 a few weeks ago and we are still dreaming about it. The condo was perfect for us. It was very comfortable and beautifully decorated. The kitchen had everything we could have needed and that view! We watched surfers, kayakers, whales and dolphins all out front! The owners have really thought of everything and outfitted their condo with all a traveller would need. There were beach towels, umbrellas, chairs, coolers, and snorkeling gear for your day at the beach. They had umbrellas to use in case of rain, hawaiian CDs, movies, books, puzzles, even reusable shopping bags. We loved it! The location is great- bakeries and restaurants across the street along with the kayak launch for the Wailua river and the trail head for the sleeping giant. The central location made access to the other parts of the island just a short drive away. We are already planning when we can go back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Wailua Bay View and condo 214, which our vacation rental company manages. I am glad you found the condo comfortable, well stocked, and close to all sorts of on-island attractions. We hope to see you again at the Wailua Bay View again!

Mahalo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I spent 10 nights in unit 310 at Wailua Bay View. I wish I could say it was spectacular. Sorry, I can't. The good points: The view is unbelievable, the ocean roar is very loud, even in the bedroom, and the washer/dryer made it nice.
The bad: The condo is not even close to deluxe - rusty and broken pots, the kitchen utensils and dinnerware were dirty (you are responsible for cleaning that part), the bed was very uncomfortable, and the condo needs a lot of renovating. The bathroom needs to be redone. I would not have taken a bath. It is adequate, but when I am paying the high priced amount of $$$$$$ money I did, I expect much better!!!
The location is central for getting around the island. The traffic in front of the condo is VERY loud. The gas station was quiet. There is a great bakery across the road!!!
If it weren't for David at Beach Condos, I would have been very angry. He tried to make our stay better. Be advised, when it rains the view of the water does not look like the pictures posted. The river is right in front of the condo, and when it flows, the ocean is brown and muddy. You can't swim in the water there. If you want to be able to swim and snorkel, you are better off staying at Poipu or near the south side. It is much sunnier down there also.
Overall, I was very disappointed in #310. I'm sure other units are nicer. The manager was very rude. I would not stay there again. :(((

Room Tip: Choose another unit! Pick a unit on the ocean end of the building. Our view was cut off by the next...
4 Thank gcracker310
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy condo 310, which our vacation rental company manages. We were surprised you did not enjoy the condo, as this condo was given a 5-star review here on Tripadvisor by the guest that stayed directly before you. All the living room furniture (expect for the dining table and chairs) is new, and the bedroom features new bedding, pillows, and towels. We apologize that a few of the pans were not up to your standards and we hope that the new ones we purchased and delivered to your condo helped resolve that issue. We also work with professional cleaners to assure the condo is cleaned to the highest standards for our guests.
We hope you give the Wailua Bay View another chance on a return trip to Kauai.
kapaa
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Tim is the name of the onsite manager. He was extremely friendly and helpful. Spent time on several occasions telling us about the area and great suggestions o, what to do. Also worked very hard to maintain the prosperity.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
on the road to Rock'n'Roll
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband & I recently spent a very satisfying 8 nights in unit 310 at Wailua Bay View.

The location is great for the East side - incredibly close to the ocean. We could have literally thrown a rock from our lanai and had it hit the water (not that we would!) The view from the lanai is beautiful, and you get a peek of Nounou (sleeping giant) mountain as you leave.

There is some road noise in the bedroom, but I'm confident the air conditioner would've drowned it out (we didn't need AC and didn't try it.) With little traffic at night we were able to fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing and mainly noticed the road sounds as more cars starting moving in the mornings. We didn't hear any disturbances from the gas station - just the sound of cars passing by on the road. We slept better and longer there than we ever do at home.

I knew WBV would be a good choice for us when I saw a couple reviews complaining that the ocean was too loud. Loud it is - gloriously! We really never heard another sound - nothing from neighboring units or anywhere else. Just beautiful waves.

The condos are individually owned so the decor varies between them. If you need upgraded finishes and stainless steel appliances, you'd do better in another unit. But 310 was more than fine for us. I was more concerned with being further around from the road with the most direct ocean view than granite counter-tops, and we got that - though I seriously doubt I could complain about the view from any unit here.

The condo was nicely furnished with fun Hawaiian-inspired artwork, does have newer cabinets and fresh paint, and is stocked with more things than we'd need if we were moving in permanently. From kitchenware to beach gear, it pretty much had it all - even one of those elusive electric tea kettles. And it was impressively clean - the inside of the microwave was positively immaculate!

Having in-unit laundry was fantastic - no wasting Vacation days in a laundromat or carrying extra luggage.

My initial plan was to stay at another complex, but they were fully booked. We're glad we ended up here - it was perfect. Mahalo!

1 Thank bamalamalu
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Mahalo for your review of the Wailua Bay View, and condo 310, which our vacation rental company manages. I am glad you found the condo well equipped and spotless. The views and sounds of the ocean really are quite memorable! We hope to see you at the Wailua Bay View again in the future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Spent the first week of February in unit 115. Loved the location, the view and the sound of the ocean each night. The unit is privately owned. The kitchen is updated and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately, the bathroom is dated with fixtures rusting and/or losing finish. There was only 1/2 of the drape unit to cover the windows and sliding door onto the lanai. As a result, not much privacy in the living room and kitchen at night. Drapery rods in bedroom were rusty and the whole unit needs a paint job. Not much in the way of beach supplies: two towels, a boogie board and a styrofoam cooler. Would love to stay again, but NOT in 115. Hopefully we can request a different unit next time!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Mahalo for your review of the Wailua Bay View. I am glad you enjoyed the sounds of the ocean nightly and the convenient central location on the island. We are surprised to see a mediocre review of unit 115, as it is quite popular. I am glad you enjoyed the updated kitchen and recent condo renovations (new furniture, comfortable bed, and complete paint job all completed in 2013). We are aware of the living room drape not covering the full sliding door and are just waiting for the correct measurement to arrive, so we can install it. Each condo we manage also comes complete with four bath towels and four large beach towels, so I am sorry if you were not able to locate the large beach towels. We hope to see you back at the Wailua Bay View in the future!
Condominium Rentals Hawaii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Wailua Bay View Condominiums? Share your experiences!