“Unit 312”

Wailua Bay View Condominiums
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I booked at the Wailua Bayview upon the recommendation from a friend and we were totally excited. As it got closer to the date of travel I started looking at reviews and I got REALLY nervous!!!

Thankfully when we got there things weren't as bad as some of the other people had written about other unit. Now, that isn't saying they were perfect BUT for the price we paid it was tolerable. I wish there had been newer carpet (you could see the brown paths where everyone walks) and I wish the bathroom had been cleaner but again, the price for 9 days in paradise was hard to beat.

I loved that when you looked out from sitting on the couch all you could see was ocean! Just ignore the comments about the restaurant. Yes - it is run down but we never saw anything besides a chicken around or in the condo but the chickens are EVERYWHERE so if you are afraid of chickens don't even both going to Kauai.

If you are looking for a cheap place in the middle of the island with easy access to everything and near the beach this is the place to stay. We'd ceratinly go back here if we go back to Kauai!

Room Tip: We always go for rooms on the top because no one is walking around above you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anniebelle316
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for your review of Wailua Bay View and unit 312. I am glad that you would certainly come back and stay at our condo again for a future Kauai visit!

Happy travels,

Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Reviewed June 30, 2012

This was our second trip to Kauai and the Wailua Bay View #204. We spent our 40th wedding anniversary on Kauai and returned two years later to spend two weeks at this condo. The location is perfect. We headed to the North Shore one day and then explored Poipu and the South side another day. We loved that we were able to travel light and utilize the washer/dryer in the condo along with the well stocked kitchen. On our lazy days, we had breakfast at Eggbert's down the street and dinner was a short walk away at either the Brick Oven Pizza or at Monicos. The view from our condo is picture postcard perfect. We spent many days on the beach right below our lanai. We had everything we needed provided for us in the condo. Chairs to sit on the beach, mats for relaxing on the sand and our own private lanai to sit and enjoy a cold drink and the most amazing view you can imagine. Chuck (the owner) was a pleasure to work with and provided us with helpful links, information and advice that helped us with every aspect of our vacation. During our stay, there was some construction down the street; however, with the windows open and the sound of the surf during the day and with the A/C on at night when we went to sleep, we were not bothered by it at all. It was the perfect place to enjoy an extended vacation and we can't wait to return. We highly recommend condo #204.

Room Tip: Unit 204 has updated amenities.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank w_mhappytexans
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We are repeat customers of Wailua Bayview. This review is focused on one unit managed by a company-NOT the privately-run condos.

I wrote a pretty harsh review when I first returned from Kauai. I pulled that one since I wanted to cool off and see things from a different perspective.

Booking a specific condo was difficult. The company CAN move you if they choose and I did not want that. It took several phone calls to resolve the issue.

The condo was sort of clean, but the whole place was somewhat sticky-feeling. I ended up wiping down the kitchen cabinets, table, door-frames and door knobs. The bathroom was not very clean, but a spray of bleach-based cleaner (the condo had a lot of cleaning supplies) and some elbow grease tidied that up. I got the impression the housekeeper did a quick run-through. The half-cleaned toilet tipped me off to that.

I do not appreciate spending precious (and expensive) vacation time cleaning, so I was pretty unhappy.

The bathtub was slow-draining, and eventually maintenance had to be called. I knew the problem was on-going since the tub had rings from the standing water. In a couple days that got fixed, but until then-yuck.

There was a jalousie window part missing, and when the storms blew through it knocked over a lamp and some of our stuff. If someone had cleaned the windows, they would have seen the missing part.

The dishwasher also had problems, and at times our dishes did not get clean. That would explain why so many of the "clean" pots and pans were dirty. We ended up hand-washing most of the time.

My advice is anyone renting: check out the condo thoroughly when you first get in and call, call, call to get satisfaction for reasonable requests. It is a drag to do an inspection at the start of a Hawaiian vacation, but it saves trouble later. Flush the toilet, run the shower, check the pillows, see if the fridge is cool enough.

Okay, positives. WBV is an excellent value for a place on the ocean. The walk to very-quiet Wailua Bay is short enough, but the AM traffic can be kind of scary. The locals at the beach are very kind. I did yoga every morning on the beach and felt safe.

Ignore the broken-down restaurant-not the fault of WBV. In all the years I have coming to the condo complex I never saw a rat or other vermin there.

The price is great for a condo with full amenities including a washer-dryer and a pool. The noise levels are really low these days, even with a service station nearby. Incidentally, that service station has delicious breakfast bentos and musubis in the morning. Plus a basket of hard boiled eggs. The bakery is good, as well. The people working those places are very nice even to an obvious haole like me.

Quiet condo near everything. I may choose another unit but I will absolutely come back to Wailua Bayview.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wanderkat21
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Thank you for the review of the Wailua Bay View and we definitely value our return guests. I am glad you plan to return to our property in the future, despite the issues you experienced in unit 315. I am sorry you found these issues and we are sending a property manager to inspect the elements you mentioned to assure that future guests have an excellent and comfortable stay while on Kauai. We hope these issues did not prevent you from having an unforgettable time on Kauai. It is truly a beautiful island.

Because the units are privately owned, we cannot 100% "guarantee" the unit you request as the owner may plan a last-minute trip to their condo, decide to sell their condo, etc. These scenarios happen very infrequently and most all of our guests end up in the specific unit they requested.

Mahalo and happy travels,

Allan
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I'm writing this review in response to the reviewer who claimed that WBV was the nastiest place on earth. My wife and I stayed at Unit 312 for two weeks in June 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. Yes - we will be back in 2013. The condo is in a perfect location - the ocean is 100 feet away from your balcony. The price is very reasonable and the unit and furnishings are very comfortable. The condo building and landscape is well maintained. Fred does a great job keeping the pool area and rest of the complex spotless. Its great having a washer and dryer and full kitchen. The location is perfect - half way between the north shore and south shore. Kapaa is nearby with great local shops and restaurants. Others have already explained the Sea Shell restaurant and Coco Palms which are not part of WBV. We love WBV and will continue to go back every other year.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve_in_STL
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was a bit leery of renting a unit that had no reviews. We rented through Condominium Rentals Hawaii and they recommended other units as favorites. Only issues were that the bedroom ceiling fan wobbled so much it couldn't be used and that the drain in the shower was super slow. The bed was quite comfortable. The living room furniture was OK but wish condo owners would consider some of us would like to lean back and really relax with the sound of the ocean (which could not be heard in the bedroom). A chaise would be nice on the "lanai". Otherwise, no complaints. It was clean, well stocked, everything else worked. The view was just like pictured on the rental company's site. I saw lots of complaints about the trail to the beach from the condos but fail to understand why a VERY short walk to the beach along a failry wide shoulder would be cause for complaint. Beach was deserted every day except for a lone fisherman (very friendly) and one couple (2 days). Otherwise, it was a private beach in paradise. Had no problem with traffic sounds. Highly recommend upper (2nd & 3rd floor) middle because it gives you almost total privacy on the lanai. You can't see units on either side and don't have a big wall blocking part of your view. We would definitely stay her again. They were upgrading the complex while we were there with only minor conveniences (1 of 3 stairwells temporarily blocked for painting and cleaning). The complex was neatly kept, nice little pool, beautiful grounds. No elevator. No vending machine like for soda (that I found). FABulous little bakery across the street about 50 feet up. Other beach accesses to beach farther north. Slightly difficult access from the road coming from the north but just turn one street sooner. We liked that it was centrally located so whether you go north or south or to the west side, none of the trips were as long as if you stayed in the north or south. Any day trip was quick. Lots of restaurants nearby. We were very happy with our choice.

Room Tip: the rooms ending in 06-09 give more privacy and 2nd and 3rd floors give better views. Further from t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ColoradoRover2
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I first want to start with saying that my husband and I both enjoyed our stay in # 208. It has a perfect ocean view and is very clean and well stocked with everything you can possibly need. The only real complaint we had was the bed and couch. The king sized bed in the bedroom was HORRIBLE- it's very uncomfortable and needed to be replaced some time ago. Also forget about sitting on the couch and enjoying a tv program because the couch is sooo uncomfortable that you are better off on the floor! Even though I feel like the owner should make an effort to make sure people renting their condo are comfortable after paying what you have to pay to get to Hawaii, we still didn't let this ruin our time in Kauai. Take a few back pills and you will be fine!!! LOL

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kim b
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed 5 days at this privately owned unit in February 2012. Chuck (the owner) was pleasant to work with and made the booking and check-in processes very easy via email and postal service. It was our first trip to Kauai and we found the condo's central location ideal for an easy drive to the north end or the west side of the island. Chuck provided lots of user-friendly sight seeing tips with pictures/videos on his website that we found useful in planning some of our activities.

Positives: Overall very clean, nicely redecorated kitchen & bath with a good selection of dishes/cookware/utensils; pool & barbecue facilities are adequate; great ventilation - with the fans and shutter-style windows we never used A/C, awesome ocean/beach view from lanai; location provides convenient walking access to several good restaurants/coffee shops and an easy drive to most points of interest on the island; beach mats and fins from the condo were nice to have. Plus - we actually enjoyed the roosters on the condo grounds and all over the island, they didn't disturb us at all!

Negatives: The bed was too soft for our taste, but we were spoiled by a firm king bed at our previous week's condo on Maui; furniture on the lanai not the greatest; some traffic noise from the main road carries back when you are out on the lanai (not a problem inside the condo), and lots of traffic back up during morning/afternoon commute times (but this is an access problem for any condo in the Kapaa/Wailua area, since and there is only one main road to travel on the east side of the island.) Pool & barbecue facilities are on the inland side of the complex, so no ocean view while you cook or swim.

Overall, we found it to be a great value and if you plan to spend most of your vacation time out exploring, it really is a perfect central location. If you just want to kick back at the condo for a good part of your stay, then I might suggest a more secluded condominium complex further from the main road with deluxe facilities... but you'll likely pay a premium for it. Aloha!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BSKWalker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Wailua Bay View Condominiums? Share your experiences!