“Great Ocean View from Comfortable Condo”

Wailua Bay View Condominiums
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We had a very comfortable and relaxing stay for six nights in condo unit #307 at the Wailua Bay View. We really enjoyed the great view of the ocean and of Wailua Beach. The unit was well equipped, nicely decorated and clean. The kitchen had everything we needed as we fixed breakfast, lunch and some dinners in the condo. The unit appeared to have new tile floor (kitchen), carpeting and furniture. This unit has an air conditioner in the bedroom. Each condo unit is decorated differently as they each have different owners. The exterior of the building, pool and grounds are well maintained. This was the second time that we stayed in the Wailua Bay View condos, the other being in 2004 that was in a different unit. We really enjoyed our stay both times.

We found the one bedroom condo was a great value for Kauai, considering it is an ocean front property that is well maintained. We rented our unit through Condominium Rentals Hawaii. We also included a rental car with the package through Condominium Rentals Hawaii. We found that the check-in process was easy with no problems; we just used the lock box code for the key that Condominium Rentals Hawaii provided to us via email before we left for Hawaii.

The Wailua Bay View is a great location on the eastside of Kauai. There are two bakeries access the street, as well as a gas station that we found to be convenient for filling up our rental car before returning to the airport. Wailua Bay View condos are within easy walking distance to the Coconut Market Place.

We noticed some of the reviews talked about the road noise from the nearby main highway. We did not find this to be an issue. I think that might be the case with some of the units with a lower number, as they are closer to the highway. We actually had more noise from the pounding of the surf from the ocean at night with the sliding glass door on the lanai. Actually the sound of the ocean was soothing and added to the tropical experience.

Room Tip: Units with the higher numbers are quieter. There is not elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJLJOregon

Reviewed February 10, 2012

We had a nice week at Chuck's #204 unit. The condo is very adequate and comfortable. Some of the furnishings are a bit tired, the high back chair on the lanai (one) needs to be replaced with two in good shape. They would be very nice for watching the ocean and beach over the railing. Advertized beach umbrellas were not to be found. Did appreciate the beach chairs and mats. Wifi is essentially jumping onto someone else's unsecured wifi, but worked fine. Insects are an isuue in Hawaii of course, but there needs to be a little fumigation of the laudry area done I think. Several unappreciated guests in there. Bed is quite soft. Shower is very roomy and nice water pressure and temp. Kitchen is very nice. A few matching 'tupperwear" type lids and containers would be appreciated. Enjoyed watching the whales and dolphins off the deck. The pool area is small but nice and clean. Chuck is helpful and quickly responsive to questions. The biggest distraction was the unit above us and the truely amazing "Thunderfoot" who apparently couldn't walk like a normal person, but stomped around at all hours, to the point of rattling the pictures on the wall. Seemed to go away late in the week, so hopefully it was a tourist and won't affect your trip! We kept the A/C on in the bedroom (wall unit) both to keep the humidity down and the background noise to drown out the Thunderfoot above. Unfortunately, then you couldn't hear the relaxing ocean waves. The unit is ideal for a couple. I wouldn't recommend it for any more. The couch is not particularly comfortable to sleep on, but I did a few times 'cause I like to listen to the waves!
It is half way between the north and south sides of the island, which made it convienient for exploring. We spent most of the time on the south side, which did add a bit of traveling each day, especially thru the road destruction in Lihue, But in the winter, if you want to spend any time in the water, you'll likely head south. It's been a few years since our last stay in the Kapaa area. The traffic has definately increased significantly on this island. But drivers are courteous, and generally will let you "in" if you nose your way out into traffic! Check out Kayak Wialua about a block across the street...fun trip to Secret Falls and you can walk from the condo.
If we decide to go back to the Kapaa / Wialua area we would consider staying here again. Thanks Chuck!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Muskydoc
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Just as it was advertised. No problems...a pleasant stay. Loved the tradewinds off the ocean. 6 days in January 2012.

Room Tip: great pizza across the street!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dpcoker
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed in room 214 over Christmas 2012. Room was exactly as pictured on their website.
Kitchen was well stocked with all kinds of extras,,, spices, cooking oil,flour, vinegar etc.
Had nice folding beach chairs which we used on our visits to many of Kauai's, great beaches.
Facility is well maintained and the grounds are immaculate. The ocean is noisy but lulled us to sleep,,, then the roosters woke us up! The roosters are all over the island and I guess wake everyone up, no matter where you are. Met the lady who takes care of the unit and she was extremely helpful and friendly. Check in was easy, we had the code for the lock box and got in, and were settled without any difficulty.

Room Tip: Rooms with higher numbers are further away from the road
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry b
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I came for 2 weeks and am staying for 3. One of the reasons is WBV. I'm in #109. Rented thru the owner [--]. Some are owner managed and some are in a rental pool management company I think. My bedroom overlooks the pool area which is NOT in the parking lot. It is surrounded by a fence and plants and trees. Very pleasant with the usual lounges and chairs around the pool. The view of the ocean and mountains takes my breathe away everytime I walk into the condo. The sound of the waves is constant and priceless. Eventually you don't even hear them. I sleep on a inflatable bed (very comfortable) in the living area with the doors open so I can listen to the waves while falling asleep. Sure beats the sound machine I use at home. There has been the occassional mosquito but not a big problem. The gas station is CONVENIENTLY located nearby. The "highway" referred to is 2 lane probably 35 MPH near the condos/ It is 2 streets over. I have slept in the bedroom (on the temperpedic bed with the egyptian cotton sheets) with the windows open and had no problem. I guess if you are a light sleeper you could shut the windows and turn on the overhead fan. This place is neither nasty, dirty or creepy. If I could afford to buy a condo and move here to live I would. The Seashell Restaurant was destroyed along with the Coco Palms during Hurricane Iniki.. It is not attached to the condos. It is downhill of them. It is not very big and as far as I can tell has no roaches. The CocoPalms are wa-a-a-y across the street and down the road. The beach has a lot of driftwood which gives it personality and great photo ops. I have walked on it and found no drug paraphenalia. People fish, surf, swim and paddle off this beach. Occassional bonfires are built in the evening. Plenty of room for setting up chairs, umbrellas and chilling. If you need pristine beaches go North. Just keep in mind it's a drive. WBV is about 15 minutes from Costco and the airport. If like me you have traveled on two 6 hour flights to get here at 6:30 in the evening and then waited another who knows how long for your rental car you will appreciate only having to go 15 minutes to Kapa'a rather than an hour to Northshore. ( I stayed Northshore 3 years ago. Lovely. Long drive to anywhere).
Groceries, restaurants, shopping, red box and that gas station all nearby. You can walk to the Coconut Marketplace from here. The units are well stocked with sheets, towels, dishes, soap, toilet paper, beach chairs, etc Mine is very clean and the kitchen appliances are updated. Washer and dryer in units. Nice grounds. The same 3 chickens make the rounds everyday crowing randomly and looking for food. They are beautiful. I will be coming back and staying here again.
I feel very safe in this area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank twidancer
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have been and will continue to go and stay at Wailua Bay View. It is very well kept and is a great place to stay. What a value and what a nice place. Apparently the person who posted such a terrible posting , has issues. He mentions a concern about the old Seashell Restaurant. Which was part of the Old Famous Coco Palms Resort. It has nothing to do with Wailua Bay View.

Some must look for the bad. They are the unhappy ones. Then there are folks like us? Happy ones.

But, if folks read all the Great reviews this location gets, they will see that sometimes, some people should not travel.

They are the few that blow it for everyone. Not to count out all the wonderful folks that take great care of their units at Wailua Bay View.

Most of the units are very well kept, and many of them have been completely renovated, inside their units. The outside is totally kept up. And the views, are to kill for.

We are coming back again, soon, and have been there over 10 times, with no disappointments. We like working with the owner, and his condos were completely renovated and stocked real well. We normally stay in #203 or #205 and other times in other units, if our favorite unit is booked.

Room Tip: Look for a renovated one such as #203 and #205. I know they were picked and put in the Dummies Trave...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ilovethetropics
Reviewed January 9, 2012

After traveling halfway around the world we arrived at the Wailua Bay View complex in the evening to find an unattended office. Actually, the office was a little shack with an open sliding door, there were no lights on, and there was nobody to give us guidance. We were exhausted and stranded in the parking lot of this hotel with no information about check-in. Luckily, I had the emergency contact # for the hotel. Surprisingly, the rep gave me an attitude when I asked how to check in. Her exact words were 'are you seriously calling me about this? You should have received email instructions on how to get in!' I did not receive any instructions of the sort AND my room assignment was changed without notification. Aside from this rough first impression, this hotel is run down, filthy, outdated, and downright depressing. The pool is in the parking lot and a major highway and gas station is about 100 feet away. There is a nasty abandoned roach infested restaurant that is connected to the hotel. Yes, really, it is true. This place is so creepy Hollywood would consider using it for a horror film. Don't be fooled by the marketing gimic about the breath taking ocean front views. The view is completely marred by the nasty haunted restaurant. This beach looks like it might be the epicenter of the islands meth trade with its dark alcoves, leftover beer can bongs and abandoned nearby hotels. When considering this view you should be aware that this strip of highway where this hotel is nested is the armpit of the island. The north and south shore areas have far superior ocean front views. Anyways, when we finally got into our room I literally sat on the sofa for no more then 30 seconds and I started itching all over my arms. Within seconds I had INSECT BITES all over my right arms and sides of my feet.

We high tailed it out of our room without pulling back the sheets to see what other creepy crawlies were sharing the room. We immediately called Expedia. They tried to discuss the our situation with one of the hotel reps and were hung up on. Enough said! Expedia did the right thing an immediately gave us a refund.

In conclusion, there are far better options for the same price on this island. I can't imagine who could have written positive reviews other then insiders. Good luck!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Satoko_Sato
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

To the best of our knowledge this review was not done by any guest of Condominium Rentals Hawaii at the Wailua Bay View. Attempts to get more detail from the reviewer have not received any response.
While it is correct that adjacent to the property there is an abandoned restaraunt that was not rebuilt after Hurricane Iniki in 1992, the other comments are either greatly exagerated or incorrect based on what we know of this property and the standard of customer service we pride our selves on offering..
You will note the vast majority of past reviews have for the most part been positive. We are not sure who this person but if they eventually contact us we would be pleased to address their concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#2 of 11 in Kapaa
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Wailua Bay View Condominiums? Share your experiences!