“Romantic”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Greeley, Colorado
“Romantic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The staff here love that we are out here for our anniversary and have been sincerely helpful in making it romantic. It is a Bummer that th air conditioning is currently down but their hospitality has been worth it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gilstrap_robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
Zionsville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

Arrival: Rented a car and drove to the hotel which was really easy as it is basically exit that airport and turn right and just drive until you reach the hotel. It took about 10-15 minutes with little traffic but I could easily see it taking longer if traffic was bad or an accident etc. The hotel is not visible from the road really and kind of a small sign so keep a close eye as the entrance will be on the right side of the road if you are coming from the airport and just past the coconut marketplace shopping center.

Check In: This was a little hectic as people tend to arrive about the same time when a fresh flight just comes in but the staff actually processed people pretty quickly. I was a little confused about the resort fee as the reservation said it included parking but there was also verbiage about a parking fee and that was cleared up as the front desk told me we could either take the resort fee and get the other items or not take the resort fee and just pay for parking. I took the resort fee as it seemed like a good deal with parking, drinks and a few other things that I cant remember but in hind sight we only used parking. My gold status was recognized by saying thank you for being gold but in no other way.

Room: We had an ocean view room which is basically the rooms that are farthest back from the ocean but still give a full view. The view was nice but due to the distance I did not find it that great. If you want to feel like you are on the ocean then get an ocean front room as it is much closer and basically right on the beach. The balconies or lanais are pretty small and about enough room for two people standing or one person sitting so not much use in my opinion. I believe the ocean front rooms have bigger balconies also. The room itself was not as dated as I was expecting based on other reviews but it was dark and I think they could have done a much better job on the color scheme. I think the blue carpet with the dark furniture just make it too dark in the room. The room was clean and comfortable though.

Dining: A bit hit and miss here. We had breakfast at the restaurant one morning and while it was not overly expensive for a hotel restaurant it was pretty boring...not bad just boring. We also had drinks in the evening in the lounge and also ate there one evening and again the choices were just underwhelming. Service was good with the exception of the bar area where it was slow but the restaurant was fine.

Location: This was our first trip to Kauai so we really had no idea what the best location and after touring the island for several days I am not sure there is a best location. This was really good to get to the airport and found it good enough to get to other areas of the island for sight seeing etc. I guess I would say this location is as good as any for our tastes but depends on what you plan on doing.

Facilities: The hotel is right on the beach and while the area is not great for swimming it is a really good beach for lounging and the grounds are setup nicely for it. I really like the lounge chairs out on the beach and it was never overly busy even though I am sure the hotel was pretty full. I also noticed some tennis courts on the premise so you have that also.

Conclusion: I thought the hotel was nice for the price and the location fit our needs. If I can get a decent rate I will likely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mcgahat
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This is not your "usual" Marriott Courtyard. In fact it's the nicest Courtyard I've ever stayed in. (136 nights in Marriott's last year). We were fortunate to get a suite for our 10 say stay, so I can't speak to the other rooms. However I can tell you the hotel is clean, quiet, centrally located and right on the beach. This is not some huge fancy resort but rather has a boutique hotel feel to it.

I wouldn't recommend the food. We tried three different meals, non of which ended well. It's a shame because we would have eaten there daily. I don't think it's the menu or the quality of food. In fact I would have given the hotel an "Excellent" if it weren't for the ill prepared food. May I suggest a new chef/cook.

The BEST PART of our entire stay was the staff. Incredible friendly people who do their very best to make your stay more enjoyable. I can't say enough about them. We will definitely stay here again. Just not eat here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Garcarcha
Lanikai, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect hotel for someone not looking for a mega resort and enjoys the smaller more intimate type of hotel. The pool area and restaurant were my favorite part with great nightly music. Had such a nice night sitting by the pool fire and relaxing to the beautiful voice of a Jason Mraz sound alike.

Top notch service!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda F
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel with a small resort feel in Kauai, this is a great choice. I stayed on business for about a week, and my favorite part about the entire trip is the amazing staff. They were so attentive and courteous and really went out of their way to make my stay very enjoyable. The hotel is rather small compared to the other Marriott resorts in Kauai, but it is an advantage as you'll never have to fight for a beach chair or feel crowded when you want to have a cocktail by the pool during happy hour.

Again the staff is the best part of this hotel in my opinion. After spending 1 night in my regular Ocean View room, I asked the front desk about upgrading. They were able to upgrade me to a King Executive Ocean Front Room (very few rooms like this) for only an extra $50 per night, I even earned a Marriott rewards bonus for doing so. The transition was seamless, they allowed me to stay in the smaller room until about 2 PM, and then when the new one was ready, they personally called me and moved me. Furthermore, there was a complimentary fruit display and hand written card from the manager waiting for me in the room. I am a Marriott Silver Rewards member, which probably had something to do with it, but its little things like this that make me very loyal to the Marriott hotel chain.

Things I liked Most About This Resort
- Private Sandy Beach - Many of the other resorts in the Lihue and Poipu area have public beaches, but this place has its own wide stretch of beach and plenty of space to relax without being on top of each other.
- The grounds were very well kept, especially the area next to the pool. There are plenty of cushiony chairs and hammocks to relax in the afternoon and read a great book. Very relaxing.
- The King Oceanfront Room is a MUST. Sunrises from here are amazing. The room is huge, over 600 sq. ft. The beds are extremely comfortable and everything is very clean. It has a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom, which is needed as the bathroom is rather small (see problem below with the door).
- Happy Hour is great at the restaurant, $6 Mai Tais and $5 house wine and rail drinks from 4 to 7. The Mai Tais are amazing, the best I had the whole trip compared to other places. For only $6 you can't beat it! They had draft beer on the special board, however the tap was broken the entire time, they finally took it off after a few days.
- The gym facilities are very nice, with 3 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, free weights, 2 ellipticals, and plenty of mat space.
- The open air bar section is decorated nicely, and has plenty of comfy modern style furniture to sit and enjoy cocktails in the early afternoon/evening. They also offer a grand square fireplace bar next to the pool, which is extremely modern and provides a nice setting to have a nightcap before heading to bed.
- There are several vendors that setup in the lobby each day, with crafts and traditional Hawaiian jewelry.
- Day trips are offered directly from the resort to different places on Kauai, and even day trips to Maui and the other islands.

Things I disliked:
- The location of the resort is not the best. On the East side, you will get lots of clouds, and more rain than the south side. It was hard to enjoy the beach and pool when it was off and on rain/clouds. If you are looking for a central location to access both the North and South parts of the island, then this location is Ok, however staying in places like Poipu, Kapaa and Lihue have much more to offer. There is little within walking distance other than the Coconut Market, and not many choices of restaurants unless you get in your car and drive.
- If you are into swimming, this may not be the place for you as there is a large coral shelf very close to the shore, which makes it difficult to really swim there. Its certainly beautiful, but if you are into swimming I'd suggest walking down the beach a little bit.
- I wished there were outlets next to the bed for my phone charger, I had to charge it across the room and it was a pain getting up to turn off my phone alarm or answer a text.
- The rooms only have a refrigerator and a coffee maker, no microwave. The only microwave is in the Marketplace in the lobby - a huge pain if you wanted to heat up leftovers for lunch the next day.
- The bathroom in the OceanView rooms are very small, the door actually hits the toilet when you enter. The only way to get into the shower is to walk in and close the door. It would be difficult for two people to try to get ready and share that bathroom.
- Overall I wasn't impressed with the food at the Voyager Restaurant. It is extremely overpriced, and the Hukai Lanai next door is much better. They do offer a lot of variety, but not many traditional Hawaiian dishes. The waitstaff isn't all that great either, one of the servers charged my colleague a $50 tip on his room, and luckily he caught it when he reviewed his bill upon checkout. Also the breakfast buffet is $20, and you might as well get it because it comes with everything. You can eat a la carte, however juice is $3, coffee is $3 and a meal with eggs, meat, and toast runs about $16, which is over the buffet price.
- The front desk is the only place to retrieve and exchange towels, which is very difficult when they are trying to check guests in/out and answer the phones. You end up standing and waiting. Plus its kind of a walk back and forth to the front desk and the front of the resort just to get a towell, it should be closer to the pool.
- The prices of food/drinks in the market place are way overpriced ($4.75 for a Cliffe protein bar). They have a lot of variety, including frozen meals, however since there is no microwave in the room you are forced to heat everything up in the lobby. I suggest if you want to buy snacks/drinks for your room to visit the General Store in the Coconut Marketplace at the next resort over - prices are half of what they are in the hotel and way more variety (including beer/wine and other drinks).
- There is no room service, however you can pre-order breakfast and lunch meals the night before via the Voyager card in the room. They won't bring it to your room, you have to go and actually pick it up.

Overall I was extremely pleased with the value of the hotel based on the staff and the amenities offered. I will likely stay at other hotels in Kauai just to experience a new area, but I do recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a small relaxing resort for a moderate price.

Room Tip: King Oceanfront are hands down the best, its a amazing to wake up with the sunrise. The view is unb...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank Alasassy
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I spent four nights at this Courtyard and had a very nice stay. The rooms were a decent size and sufficient for two. The bathrooms are on the small side but I wasn't there to spend time in the bathroom. The balcony was small, but did give a nice view of the pool and beach.

The hotel sits slightly off the main road on a side street which helps cuts down on the vehicle traffic.

The hotel is a five minute walk from two grocery stores, several reataurants, and a soon to open McDonalds. It is about a 15 ride from the airport.

I did eat dinner one night in the hotel restaurant and was very pleased with the service and quality of the meal.

I recommend staying here for a nice stay away from the mega resorts and will stay here again on my next visit.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ATLtraveler766
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

The setting is beautiful and the rooms are quiet. This is a solid choice for couples. There is a happy atmosphere here, and the free MaiTais in the evening don't hurt. There is a bar and restaurant on premises to service your basic needs. For other eating and shopping options you can walk, but the area is screaming for sidewalks. Right now there is a "deer path" through the grass along the road. The beach is decent, and the pool area is lively. The hot tub was always busy during our (rainy February) visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ReneeRon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!