“Fabulous!!”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Fabulous!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. Staff was excellent and gave us an ocean front room instead of ocean view. Restaurants were great and poolside menu is available at both restaurants is and very affordable and plenty of food to share if you're not starving. Close to airport and lots of things to do close by. Be sure and take the Sunshine Helicopter tour! Highly recommend this Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view...beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed May 9, 2014

While I don't like having to pay for parking, it isn't so bad when for $6 more it includes 2 Mai Tai's every evening (and they were good, not watered down like I thought they'd be). I was happy with both restaurants on the property. I especially liked that it wasn't crowded around the pool. Free coffee every morning was a plus too. My only complaint was housekeeping. After being out all morning, I like to come to my room to shower or nap. Only one day was it done before 3:00 and that was because I asked about it. That wouldn't keep me from returning though.
Oh, we didn't have a typical Marriott bed. We could feel springs in ours.
We had a 4th floor room facing the ocean. The balcony could have been bigger but we were out most of the time.

1 Thank LovinMaui_13
Honolulu
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The front desk clerk, Orie, was terrific - friendly, helpful and efficient. She went out of her way to make our check in easy.

The hotel is clean, in a great location and has a friendly staff.

We'd stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kula N
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The rooms are comfortable, we booked a partial ocean view and the balcony was (very) small, we would probably book ocean front if we came again. Air conditioning very noisy an difficult to control, there seemed to be only one fan speed, noisy! The location/setting is good and you can walk to Kapaa in 20 minutes where you can find plenty of restaurants and shops. Internet connectivity is also good and included in the room rate. I would have awarded 4 stars for this hotel but annoyed by the resort fee which it charges. We have travelled all over the world and Hawaii is the only place we recall encountering this "phenomena" where there are significant additional charges to the room rate including car parking and the resort fee. We can understand car park fees in a city location, but not in an isolated beachside location. Hawaii hotels are expensive by any standards and we object to additional fees which makes comparing hotels difficult.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront rook else you will have a very small (practically useless) balcony.
2 Thank Tony D
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Aloha Tony D,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm glad to hear that our central location was favorable during your visit to Kaua'i. We definitely have an excellent location that makes it convenient for our guests to travel equal distances to the West and North shores of our beautiful island. While I am happy to report that we have replaced the thermostats in each guest room to allow guests to choose a desired temperature based on personal preference, I apologize you were disappointed in the parking fees. As you mentioned, all hotels and resorts that are comparable to ours island-wide charge different fees for vehicle parking. Specifically speaking for the Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach - we have an overnight Security team who is responsible for scheduled patrols and ensuring that only registered guests are utilizing our parking facilities. Should Kaua'i become a destination in your future travels, I hope you consider the Courtyard Kauai for the beautiful atmosphere and exceptional service we continue to offer. Mahalo!
Bastrop, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The room is a little old however it was serviceable and worked. The bar food and drinks were reasonable priced. Now when I arrived I expected a full ocean view with my premium room...not true. They lie!! The only rooms that have full ocean view and a lanai big enough for 2 people are the executive suites which I did upgrade to after seeing my original premium room. The premium room is decent and you can see the ocean however you have to go to the balcony and hang your head over the edge then look to the left. Then the premium balcony must be a total of 8 sq ft... it was small and shaped like a triangle so most of the space is wasted. Now the executive suite lanai's are normal about 4ft X 8 ft. Still a couple of other things to share none of the beds face the ocean in any of the rooms... I did see a few ants in the bathroom... some dead cock roaches outside by the entrance to the wing. The hot tub heater was also broken during our stay.
Now one nice thing hardly any kids most likely because nothing there for them to do. I did like the little beach however not good to get in the water but good to walk and hold hands. I most likely would look for another hotel before booking again however if I couldn't find something I thought was better I would stay again.

Room Tip: If you want a lanai big enough for 2 and full ocean view you must stay in an executive suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My girlfriend and I had to flee a terrible room from airbnb with huge cockroaches to a what we thought would be a safe place. It was an overpriced room that smelled like wet dog from carpet being in the room and not being properly taken care of in tropical conditions. We stayed for one night and we both woke up with an allergy attack. The whole room just gave you that dirty feeling, the TV didn't work and the air conditioning as well, we had to try to find someone to help us at 1am, not fun. Maybe some rooms are better than others, but being a Marriott there are certain expectations and it definitely did not live up to them. They need to evaluate their standards of service and cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank njhassinger
Aloha njhassinger ,
Thank you for your review. While I am glad to hear that you selected our resort after experiencing a less than satisfactory visit to your original planned destination, I am deeply sorry to learn about your experiences as this is not typical of our resort. Although we are aware that the climate in Hawaii is unique, there should be no excuse as to why the carpet did not appear to be cleaned properly. Your comments in regards to the room imperfections have been shared with the Director of Housekeeping and the Chief Engineer for immediate follow up. I hope you will afford us another opportunity next time you visit our beautiful island to prove that we can do it right. Mahalo!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Although our initial impression of this hotel was only mediocre we changed our minds over the course of our stay in the Courtyard. We arrived on a rainy day quite early and, understandably our room wasn't ready. The ladies at reception were friendly enough but gave no indication of when we should return so when we came back we had to go up to the reception desk a few times before we found out.

We decided to try the hotel pool bar which served both food and drink. This was the first large disappointment. The service was dreadful, the cocktails were weak (and I don't just mean alcohol), the food was not good, particularly for the prices they charge. We only ventured back once more at the end if our stay and the cocktails were still sub par.

Our room was clean, bright and spacious with a lovely view of Hoary Head Ridge and sea. The pool area is really lovely with hammocks, a cool water feature in the pool itself, a separate small pool with water jets and a good view of the beach. If it's sea swimming you're looking for you cannot do it here. Rips and general conditions are too dangerous but it is beautiful if only to sit and admire the view.

By far the best thing about the hotel was their Expedia Local Expert Desk. A special thank you to Heidi Gehring for all her help and recommendations. She is a gem.

As Mariotts go this is a nice hotel in a good location. Trees Lounge Bar and Eggberts Cafe are your alternatives for drinking and eating if you have a similar experience to us in the hotel bar!

• Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!