“Would return with the right room rate”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We came back to Kapaa for a 5-night stay in October. We had previously stayed at the Aston Islander on the beach down the road.
First of all, I would say that the traveler has to do a little bit of research to see if the Courtyard Marriott is a match for you.
For us, we knew that the hotel was right on the beach and that it wasn't a swimming beach, so no surprise there.
We were looking for a nice clean hotel that would be used as a base to explore the island. From Hanalei to Waimea, Kapaa is right in the middle of the island.

It started out really well at the time of the check in as we were warmly greeted by a friendly staff member at the reception. We usually have a few reasonable requests.
We asked for a room on a higher floor (the 4th floor is the highest floor you can get there), not to be close to an ice or pop machine, or elevator, and finally we wanted to make sure we had a king size bed.
All our wishes were met and we got room #331, a premium ocean view room.
It came with a tiny triangular balcony but the room was a decent size and was well maintained. The hotel is obviously not trying to be a boutique hotel with slick furniture and cool design faucets, but the room was more than adequate.

I believe we had a very good room rate at $123 a night. Unfortunately, it came with a $14/day parking fee. In my opinion, there is really no reason to charge for parking. To me, it just looked like a resort fee (I despise resort fees).

There is a small pool and the common areas are well kept with modern outdoor furniture.
There are washers and dryers located on certain floors if you need fresh laundry (2nd and 4th floor of our building).

We didn't try the restaurant so I can't comment about it. We did walk by the breakfast buffet and it actually looked good for a buffet. However we ate out every time.

Restaurants tips. I would suggest the Art cafe Hemingway for breakfast. It is located north of the hotel in Kapaa in a blue house. Give it a try as an alternative to the Courtyard buffet breakfast.
There is also a Starbucks not far from the hotel (open at 5am for people who would like an early start to Waimea).
If you don't feel like breaking the bank for every meal, there is a Panda express (Chinese food) next to the Starbucks.

Last two recommendations would be the Pizza Brick Oven, south of the hotel by the Coconut mall. Nothing fancy but good pizza.
If you are a little more adventurous (not really), try the Korean barbecue across the street from Brick Oven Pizza. Really delicious with fewer tourists (apparently closed on Tuesday).

In conclusion, would we return to the Courtyard Marriott in Kauai?
The answer would be absolutely yes!
As long as we would get a similar deal we had and as long as the property is well taken care of with good reviews to back it up.
We would choose the Marriott over the Aston Islander on the beach. I found the Marriott superior in every way.

5  Thank bcgraph

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I recently spent a week at the lovely Courtyard at Coconut Beach and would definitely recommend the hotel. I stayed here several years ago when it was affiliated with Aston, and things have been spruced up a bit now that it is part of the Marriott family of hotels. I particularly want to commend Lissa at the front desk for her helpfulness. She helped me pick out a room that I would enjoy and sent up a welcoming gift which I very much appreciated. Marriott was having a Hawaii sale, so I got an especially good rate. Wireless works throughout the property. This location is perfect for exploring Kauai because it is right between Princeville and Poipu. I plan to return here on my next visit to Kauai.

Room Tip: There is a spa here, but I did not try it out.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stay in Marriott properties quite a bit for work, so I'm fairly familiar with the quality of the chain. I used some of my points for this stay.

The property itself is in a nice location, and our room was on the top floor with an ocean view. As soon as we arrived, we unpacked and took showers. The first problem was that the tub did not drain properly when showering, then I noticed a pair of dirty socks from a previous guest right in front of the main mirror in the bedroom area (hardly an inconspicuous spot to have been missed by housekeeping). We called down to the desk to complain and they immediately sent someone up to sort out the drain and also someone else from housekeeping.

The person from housekeeping didn't seem like he knew why he was being sent up, because he just walked in and immediately started vacuuming. After I explained about the socks, he picked them up and put them in his pocket and cleaned the rest of the room. There weren't any other comparable rooms to switch us, so we just ensured the room seemed like it was adequately cleaned. The drain seemed like it got sorted out that night, but subsequent days proved it got slower again.

Breakfast the first morning was disappointing. The food was good, but the service was indifferent. We were nearly done eating by the time we got coffee and water.

I will say that after these first bumps, the remaining 4 days of our stay went off just fine and we were pleased.

1  Thank eurocarpaul
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on October 11 to 14 for a wedding. On the positive side the beach is right there at the hotel property and I was upgraded to an ocean view since I am a gold elite member. The rooms are a good size and clean. On the could improve side housekeeping was really inconsistent. They never took my dirty glasses from my room, did not replace the small bottles of shampoo, left dirty washrags in the shower, but had the time to change my room temperature to a higher level every day. Plus, unlike other Marriott Hotels where elite Gold and Platinum member get free breakfast only Platinum levels get it here. Even though I showed on the website where it said those two levels get a free breakfast or a 1000 points, I recevied neither. There is a 14 dollar a day resort fee which includes parking, internet, and one Mai Tai a day which is half the size of the Mai Tai's at the bar. The staff was friendly and the location is good as it is close to the airport and about a mile down the road to a small town with restaurants and stores. This is a nice hotel for a few nights stay and the rate was good because there was a lower rate than you could get online for people attending the wedding.

Room Tip: Ocean Views are nice but you are so close to beach I am not sure it really matters.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joeamy2003
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a good hotel facility as other reviews report: a reliable national brand with nicely sized rooms in a good location with good amenities. However, I rate this hotel 3/5 due to variety of small but systemic service problems that plagued us everyday during a 5-night stay.
- Check-in: there was amnesia at the front desk about the breakfast that was included in our room rate; I had to phone Marriott reservations and have them phone the hotel manager to resolve. Also, the front desk forgot to register us for parking at check-in.
- Cleanliness: the shower grout had small mold spots that I was easily able to wipe off, indicating that the cleaning hadn't been thorough.
- Housekeeping: our in-room coffee wasn't replenished 2 of 5 days; washcloths weren't replenished at least one day; toilet paper wasn't replenished one day (and we ran out).
- Breakfast: no coffee 2 of 5 days, until we chased it down; no water was served (even after asking) at least two days; one morning nobody answered two separate calls to the restaurant to ask about service hours, so we had to phone the front desk.

In each case the staff was friendly and mostly corrected each issue upon explicit request. But after a day or two, my party grew weary of having to ask for things we shouldn't have to ask for. Our running joke was about "what they would forget today". I still recommend this hotel due to its location and value, but only for those with patience and tolerance for service issues.

1  Thank jcbyrum
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It's clean!!! We got an "ocean view" not "ocean front" and it was wonderful. We landed in Kauai after dark. What a surprise when I opened up the curtains the next morning to see beautiful mountains and and an amazing beach with reddish sand in front of me! The rooms are not huge, but a good size. Bathroom was a bit on the small side, but worked just fine. They have dark wood shutters and doors. Very Pretty! The mattresses seemed a little old as I could feel some springs, but I slept great. The doors are thick wood, so you hear nothing in the hallway. Having a quiet room is key for me! The grounds are well kept. There is a pool and hot tub. At night there is a firepit lit up next to the pool and tiki torches all around. It's a great atmosphere. The beach is pretty, but we never swam here, so I can't comment on that. It's rocky in some places, and as with all beaches figure out about the currents before you get in. If you have a rental car, the beach is not a big deal. If you won't have a rental car stay at the other Marriott property on Kalapaki Beach. You can easily swim there and kids could play in the ocean there as well. One morning they had 2 hula ladies doing a hula sunrise dance. It was neat. The restaurant looked nice, but we never ate there. It is located just north of the airport. There are grocery stores and fast food right down the street. From the hotel we would drive north to the beaches and it took about 45 minutes (that will get you all the way to Ke'e Beach). BUT, that 45 minutes was filled with unbelievable beauty! I never like to drive at home, but there, looking at the gorgeous mountains, waterfalls, and beaches....it was one of the highlights of the trip. There is a little bit of traffic in Kapaa, but after you get through that, there isn't much anywhere else. This was a very nice hotel, in a great location. It was easy to get to the north or south side, depending on what we wanted to do that day. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvtheseaside
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I have vacationed yearly at this resort beginning 2001. It is centrally located on the east side of the island, approximately one half way between Poipu's sunny beaches and the north shore's stunning beauty. Dining, shopping, and wonderful beaches are within walking or short driving range. The staff is extremely friendly and very good at what they do. The rooms are clean, the location quiet, the ocean at your doorstep.

Craig & Laura Muirhead
Charlotte, Michigan

Room Tip: If the ocean front rooms are within your vacation budget DEFINITELY grab one of them.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!