“Location, Location, Location”
Review of Pono Kai Resort

Pono Kai Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed first week February 2014 and had a great time. We were in the second building, room 203 overlooking the garden. We were near the main road and noise was not a factor at all. The grounds are immaculate and the small Koi pond was beautiful. We had a 2 bd, 2 bath and it was a very spacious unit. The furniture and carpet were a bit outdated, but I'm in Kauai.....why would I be in the room, so who cares!!!! The room was very clean and did not smell. Many reviews are not kind. The staff was very friendly. The ocean is a very short walk and the location of this property is ideal! In 6 days we put 868 miles on our rental, so trust me, this is the place to stay. Traffic is very heavy and it makes it easy to go North or South to get out of town. There are chickens everywhere on this Island, if the city folk don't like the roosters crowing 24 hours a day, stay home, don't come to this beautiful place the chickens call home! Have plans already to return in September and looking forward to it! I highly recommend to take the Capt'n Andy's sunset/dinner cruise to the Napli Coast o the Southern Star. It's absolutely amazing and worth every cent! The concierge can help you book it and may get a small discount. I packed a bottle of Rum Chata from home....don't bother, the liquor prices are no higher then the mainland! The Shrimp Station is right up the road and a the food is quick and tasty!

8  Thank Leslie S
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Pono Kai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your review of the Pono Kai Resort. While our condo management company does not manage the exact condo you stayed in, we do represent a collection of condos at the Pono Kai Resort. You hit the nail on the head with your review of the fantastic grounds and ideal location. That is great you got to explore 868 miles of Kauai! This central location is great for exploring all the treats the island has to offer.
We look forward to seeing you at the Pono Kai Resort again in the future.

Mahalo,
Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Kauai for me is the most relaxing Island in the Hawaiian Island chain. I have been staying at the Pono Kai for many years and hope to return for many years to come. I enjoy an ocean front condo that is quiet, clean and well maintained. It's just the best place for me to return to me!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank totheedge
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lovely and clean but dated 1 bedroom with oceanview. 206 G. Amenities were wonderful. Enjoyed having the choice of daily housekeeping service. A first for us when condo renting.Beach, walkway and swimming were great. Grounds were neat and well kept.A couple issues that would probably keep me from returning to this Resort though.First one:Quietness of the condo. There was no quietness unless the guests below beside and above us were asleep.Area Traffic!!.being the 2nd concern.This was not only at certain times, this was all day everyday. It rained 6 out of the 14 days of our stay so therfore we tended to be out and about exploring other areas and sites. Too much of our vacation time was spent sitting in the car in huge traffic line ups.

Room Tip: Ocean view top floor (3rd floor)
2  Thank judyg323
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at Pono Kai last year and enjoyed the central location and the resort itself, but had stayed in an updated 3rd floor unit A305. This time I stayed in A201 a 2 bedroom end unit. This unit would be nice if it had some upgrades and a good deep cleaning. I don't think it had been touched since the 80's, the stove was filthy and I had to tape the gapping hole in the screen on the patio door. I also had to rewash some if the dishes as they were not the cleanest. My first clue should have been the price.... If it is priced too reasonable there may be something wrong! The view was great as well as the pool/ hottub and the guy doing massages by the pool was awesome!

Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank GrammaNan
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Pono Kai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for your review of the Pono Kai Resort, and I am glad you got to experience the property two years in a row now. The location and grounds really are great. Our condo management company does not manage condo A201, but I encourage you to let the property manager or owner you worked with know about the screen door and dirty stove and they should be able to promptly address your concerns.
Mahalo,
Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Pono Kai is the best small resort on Kauai! Walk to shopping and eating, activities...A many mile path along the ocean right out our unit! Couldn't get a better rental unit than C109! Pool and hot tub just right size, no fancy water slides! Quiet but active resort close to north or south shores by car or bus. This is a very relaxed island with a perfect relaxed resort! Don't waste money on big fancy resorts when you can cook in unit, watch the sun rise, rent bikes, walk to get a cocktail or shop! There is even a glass blower shop almost across the street! Watch them make a special gift to take home! This is going to be my new home away from home! Loved the unit size, on ground level, walk out to the beach w/morning coffee grown on the island! Watch the roosters and chickens play! That is so great to have the beautiful wildlife so close, and it's easy to get used to them, they are no bother! Even see whales from your lanai! I can't say enough great things about this resort!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank RadioBirdman
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Had a great time there, the place is located in a descent spot in Kapaa. The beach is on the north corner of the property. Our only beef is exactly what others said. I truly believe every night that there was a cattle drive in the room above us. Any time I was awake there was sounds of Dutch clog wearing Insomniac family of 10 above us dancing. I hate to leave negative comments because we are always looking to enjoy our vacations and we truly did this one as well. If I was to go back there I would request a 3rd floor room so no one would be stomping above us.

Room Tip: If anyone is above you, you will hear their walking at all times. Choose 3rd floor room so no one i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jim M
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Love our room, view and overall customer service
Only one to change free internet use by front desk
Shop at the local market and BBQ or cook in you

I bought pogo juice and added vodka and sat on the beach perfect
We rented bikes next door and biked 4 miles each way from resort

3  Thank Kimberly H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Pono Kai Resort? Share your experiences!