“Very comfy.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pono Kai Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
“Very comfy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. People are so friendly and helpful. Concierge arranged everything. Very convenient to airport. Walking path next to ocean and goes for 7 miles. Large kitchen that is well stocked with essential kitchen pots, pans and utensils

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank JodsterK
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Pono Kai Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Pono Kai Resort. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our condo management company manages but I am glad to hear you found everything you needed for your stay on Kauai. The paved beachfront path you mention is definitely a great walk or bike ride to explore!

Mahalo,
Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 20th anniversary. We stayed through a vacation exchange. We knew we could not request a specific building and were pleased when we ended up on the ground floor of building D. I enjoyed being able to walk out of our room right to the beach. Loved the walking/biking path. We did find the staff very helpful and friendly. The unit may not have had the most up to date stuff and my husband stated larger TV in the bedroom would have been nice. But seriously we were in Hawaii!!!! We did not spend a lot of time in the room. One complaint would have been the people upstairs. I did see other reviews of creaking floors. I seriously doubt that it was the floors. It was definite stomping on the floor and pounding ....resembling two teenagers wrestling then running the length of the floor. It was early in the morning and late at night Which made it hard to get a good nights sleep at times. Nothing really the resort could do about it. Especially since we didn't want to loose our condo over it and have to switch.

There was a definite musty smell. The only suggestion we would have for improvement would be finding a way to resolve that. Not sure if upgrading the air conditioning unit would help but the musty did not go away all week but being right on the ocean may be the reason. There was no way to really cross ventilate the unit while we were gone during the day.

2 Thank MaineHockeymum
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at Pono Kai through our time share and like some others were a little concerned given the reviews, however the staff were very nice and accommodating. I apparently had booked an efficiency with a murphy bed which would not have fit my husband and I , but they upgraded our room to a queen 1 bedroom which was very comfortable, very clean. The grounds were well maintained and the trail by the beach was great to walk. We stayed in Kapaa as it was between the north and south shores and we figured that it would be nice to be in the middle. I would recommend staying closer to where you are doing most of your activities given there is only 1 road around the island the traffic can sometimes be crazy. and the drive north with all the 1 lane bridges was crazy and so it took a while to get to the beaches up north.

2 Thank kcraig32
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 21 wedding anniversary at Pono Kai, August of 2013. I was a little concern when reading some of the reviews. However, we decided to take a risk and stay at the Pono Kai. The condo was in great condition, a little outdated, but overall very clean. The view from the balcony had a great view of the ocean.

I had one incident that almost ruined my vacation. We stayed in Building B on the 3rd floor in a two bedroom unit. The master bedroom floors squeaked really bad and was loud. We tried tip toeing because we didn't want to disturb the guest below. I tried to change rooms but the views wouldn't be the same. I decided to knock on our neighbors door and just apologize for the loud noise due to the floors squeaking. Thank goodness they were kind and understanding. They acknowledge the building being old and not to worry. They understood.
I was still considered and tip toed at night.

Other than that - - the location, shops, restaurants, and beaches were great. Please make sure you do the morning breakfast which helped plan our vacation. We had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: I would recommended building A or C. Great ocean view rooms. However, if you stay on the lower lev...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LVJohnson
Aldergrove, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I found Pono Kai to be a well maintained, clean and updated resort. All of the staff were very kind and helpful and went out of their way to provide great customer service. The amenities were perfect and had a large variety of beach equipment to borrow or rent. I would stay there again and highly recommend it to others.

1 Thank SNMcLeod
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Pono Kai Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Pono Kai Resort. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our management company manages there, but happy to hear you had a great time! We hope to see you at the Pono Kai again in the future.

Mahalo,
Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii
Pana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at the Pono Kai for 3 weeks in August. It was great. I paid for a studio in my exchange and received a 1 bedroom upgrade free. I loved the location half way around the island. It was close to everything. Night life, shaved ice, shopping, restaurants, Hula Dance competition, bicycle trail. I got up early every morning to photograph the sunrise and the sunsets are beautiful as the sun lights up all the clouds pink and purple. The pool is 8 ft. deep at one end, deep enough to tread water. The gardens and Fish pond is breath taking. I grilled almost every day on their outdoor grills that are kept immaculately clean. I received a great massage from Kimo at a reasonable price. I was at home there and did not want to leave.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. I was in K building and off my patio was the beautiful fish pond I had the m...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Deeanna S
Cerritos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have been coming here for years. The beachfront views are incredible- sunrise is gorgeous. The beach is pleasant with welcome shade. Swimming is fine, but there is no lifeguard. They have a pool, sauna, putting green and a helpful concierge. It is an easy walk to restaurants and even a Safeway. The location works well for us- we can get to the North Shore and the South Shore. The area is not as pretentious as Poipu and there still is some local charm. The units are clean and spacious and housekeeping was very helpful. The kitchens are well stocked- we even had a rice cooker.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view condo
1 Thank Barbara F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Hotel Coral Reef
#9 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites
Waipouli Beach Resort

Been to Pono Kai Resort? Share your experiences!