“Awesome place”

Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
Ranked #7 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I originally booked 3 nights here during the beginning of October 2013 so I could take a no doors helicopter ride around the Na Pali coast..The coast was sooo beautiful I booked another 2 weeks here to do all the hikes, snorkel, and beach fun.. I met a lot of people from around the world including Germans, Swiss, Austrian, Canadian, French, American, English, Spanish, Brazillian, Australian, etc.. There was always some activity setup by the guests down in the outdoor dining area that it was really easy to see many different beautiful places of this island by just by saying "hi", "hola", "hey", "aye", or good old "A-L-O-H-A" and a tagging along or initiating the excursion..This hostel is a great base for exploring this beautiful island.. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank aislesacross

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the hostel for around 7 weeks and had an awesome time! The hostel has a really laid back, friendly atmosphere and is a space where everyone speaks to everyone. Weather you are staying for a few nights or a few months it's easy to get involved and meet great people and soon enough it feels like you're staying in a little family.

The location is awesome, Kapaa is a sweet little town with festivals and art walks and a cool farmers market and it's easy to get around, driving or hitchhiking in both directions to the north and south shore.

The hostel staff are really friendly and always willing to give advise to guests on options and tips of what to do, staff and guests often hang out. The hostel is not for the late night party man it has the same vibe as the island which is really peaceful and more about enjoying the daytime fun, but there are bars across the street open til late sometimes with live music and the beach also right across the street, always perfect to watch the rising sun and the full moon :)

Great place to stay, I meet some amazing people here, which made the island even more special. Kauai Island is a place of hidden treasures!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tarnia g
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed almost seven weeks in this nice awesome Hostel. I really had a great time there and I met fantastic people. For my opinion a very friendly good managed place including the helpful nice staff. Its a great meet up place with other travellers for exploring beautiful Kauai together. Its very clean, safe and just across the street you are right on the beach in Kapaa. I travelled a lot in my life and I have many expierences staying in hostels arround the world. Expecially as a solo women traveller I appreciate a place where its easy to meet other people and feeling comfortable.
They have also a nice Kitchen where you can store and cook your own meals. What I like, also cooking together was fun. In the morning you get coffee for free. The only thing what bothered me from time to time, was sharing the bathroom, when the female dorm was packed ;-).
Of course there are some rules, like in every International youth Hostels. It is a quiet place and not a party Hostel, but if you like to party after 10pm, you just take your beer, bottle of wine and make your own party on the beach, what is really easy going and very relaxed in Kauai or you go to some close Bar´s in Kapaa, whatever.....there is a lot to do...I loved it and I can really recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you like it more quiet you can also book a private Room, there are two posibilites. It depends on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Petra T
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This place is awesome and as soon as I rocked up it felt like home. Compared to other hostels I stayed in on Hawaii it was by far the cleanest. The rooms are cleaned daily along with the kitchen and common area. The location is very central for this small island with everything you need just around you in kapaa and the main high way right out front to hitch for a surf up north or catch the bus to the local markets. The staff are very friendly and always willing to help and have the answer to just about everything! Sure it's lights out at 10pm and quiet time at night but Kauai offers so much to do in the days here that sleep is what you should need at night. There are bars 5 min walk away that you party at if needed and the beach is across the road. Management are a happy and very accommodating couple. I have never met such nice people who run a hostel. There is free flippers and snorkels, books to read and games. Kiyaks for cheap and cheap car rentals on island cars. Price wise it's the cheapest place to stay apart from woofing on a farm. It's not the Hilton but its bit suppose to be! I will be your home to lay your head at night, cook some dinner and chill after surfing all day!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The manager still needs help. Only it's better than sleeping on the street.

I arrived at the hostel, with 5 daily paid, and look at the manager greeted me:
Just thought 4 daily paid ..
Let me see your flight back. (Does he think it's a cop immigration?)
You can only use the laundry if you stay at least 7 days.

In a very arrogant tone, seemed like they were doing you a favor to let me rent their room.

I asked for my money back, and said that they would not return, then I threatened to call the police and he returned the money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
26  Thank Renato A
GM_Honuea, General Manager at Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your input. "management still needs help" This guest had read previous reviews about prior management from over 2 years ago and arrived with pre-conceved notions upon arrival. He also did not understand that the man checking him in was not the manager. When I came out to talk to him he had already threatened to call the police. (for the reasons he mentioned above) When I offered his money back, but told him we could not give him cash (as he paid with CC back in July, at his insistence) and it would take 7-14 business days, he became agitated and did not understand why he could not have his money back at that moment. He again threatened to call the police. (It is not normally our policy to accept payment prior to arrival). When I told him he was getting a refund and he needed to leave the property, he then changed his mind and wanted to stay. We asked him again, to leave. Thats where the arrogance came from? We told him we would have to contact the bank in the morning for his refund. We did so, and he received a full refund.
Thank you for pointing out some of our guidelines for our hostel.
"Let me see your flight back."--- Though, this is not the way we ask for the information, we do require an international passport and/or a return air ticket off the island.
"You can only use the laundry if you stay at least 7 days."----We have only 1 washer on the property and up to 36 sets of sheets per day to wash. That is why we direct most people to the Laundry down the street. It is very close and is open 24hrs.
"We have a closet for you to lock your things safely, you simply buy the padlock."----Yes, we have FREE lockers for guests to use(one per bed). However, we do not provide the lock. Locks may be purchased just down the road for around 3 dollars US.(most people traveling have their own locks)
"One room is the door to another room, which gives a total of 10 beds rather small, dirty, and with few windows."----We have 3 10 bed dorms. The first room has 3 bunks and 3 windows. The second room has 2 bunks and 1 large window, and a private room with 1 large window. There is a central bathroom. We clean them daily. We do not police guests to make sure the room looks like a hotel when everyone checks in, so I'm sure there were suitcases, towels, clothes and many other personal items of guests scattered about in the bunk room.

We do try very hard to make sure people have a safe, clean, inexpensive place to stay on beautiful island where the average hotel room is $240/nt. We start our prices at $25/nt that includes bed, sheets and pillow, a clean kitchen to cook in from 7am-9pm including 3 refrigerators, Cable TV(7am-10pm). FREE WIFI(in common areas), Covered lanai, Large garden area(available until 10pm later if quiet). FREE Lockers(you provide the lock), FREE Parking, Central music(you can plug in your ipod and share your music from your part of the world), FREE kayak use, FREE body board use, FREE snorkel gear, FREE ping pong table, Playing cards, book exchange, dice. The list goes on. Yes we have a few rules to follow, but we believe the benefits far exceed the rules and hope most people will appreciate the time and effort we put in to make your stay enjoyable. Aloha:)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place is organized like clockwork. The kitchen has everything labelled, so you know where everything is. Free parking. The rooms are fine, bathroom clean. Freshley brewed coffee is ready for you in the morning at 7am. There are cupboards for your groceries. You're within walking distance many grocery stores, restaurants. There is a beach 2 blocks across the beach, but nothing as nice as what you'll see north or south. You will need a car to leave this hostel. the buses will triple your travel time.

Annoying things were the lounge area gets completely shut down during quiet hours (everyone is kicked out), internet is shut down everyday 11am-1pm. You have to use the payphones instead of the reception phones for local calls (these are useful for booking local tours or asking questions for the local tours). I've been to all islands, and this is the first time it isn't offered and I can't imagine it being expensive to add on.

The lounge area had 2 great travel books (big book and fodors) for trip planning. The front desk has connections to cheap car rentals, caveat is they are older cars (probably 10 years or older) in poorer condition, and you have no option to purchase the insurance. Investigate booking at the airport to save time and money. The bus ride to the hostel from airport is 1 hr to 1.5 hr. Drive is 30mins.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Agent226
Reviewed September 12, 2013

If it weren't for my amazing experience in Kauai, I'd probably think a lot less of my stay at Honu'ea. The hostel provided what I needed, but is by no means top of the line. First the positives: the beds were super comfortable- if you are lucky, there will be a foam mattress available when you check in and you can snag it right up. Also, the hostel was located in a pretty good location. Big Dave Waves was right around the corner and many shops and other restaurants were within a 10 minute drive. In addition, I enjoyed the company at the hostel. It attracted people from all over and I had the best time socializing with these amazing people. The hostel does come with some down falls, however. There were many rules such as no shoes in the kitchen... which seems like a simple enough rule to follow, but when you have to walk outside to pass from your room to the kitchen, it's not exactly second nature to remember to take off your shoes. The quiet hours were strict too which was kind of a buzz kill at times. Most note worthy, though, were the cock roaches!! Lucky for me, I never saw one, but I heard plenty of buzz throughout the hostel about cock roaches appearing in peoples' food bags or in their bathrooms. Again I must reiterate, Kauai's too amazing of an island to really let any of that stuff get you down. If you need luxury, this is not the place, but if you're a no frills kind of traveler, I say go for it and you will not regret it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank enk217
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Plantation Hale Suites
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#7 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai? Share your experiences!