We stayed here for 6 nights in January.
+ kitchen is big and on the clean side
+ beds were comfortable
+ beautiful garden with lots of chairs/sofas/etc
- kitchen opens at 8 am. This is really annoying for several reasons. Obviously you can't have breakfast and leave before 8. Also, as a consequence, everyone is on the same schedule, gets up around 7:30 and wants to use the bathroom...
- 1 bathroom per 11 person dorm room, shower and toilette in the same room. This wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the last point. There were lines and long waiting times for the bathroom every morning.
- "airport shuttle" is advertised but does not exist. We didn't have a car and needed to get back to the airport for our flight at 9:30 am. When we asked about the shuttle service (that had been advertised in the confirmation email), the guy in charge basically laughed at us and told us that we "obviously couldn't expect anyone [of the staff] to get up just to bring us to the airport". I didn't think this was funny but super unfriendly and unprofessional.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha and welcome to our family owned, family operated 34 person hostel on the amazing island of Kaua'i! Our hostel has enforced quiet hours from 10pm-7am. We are not a party style hostel. We hope guests will take advantage of our low prices and quality service so that you may enjoy Kauai hikes and outdoor activities that are our premier location provides. Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai resides in the heart of Kapa'a Town, across the street from Kapa'a Beach Park! Take a stroll or bike down the 7 mile Ke Ala Hele Makalae ("The Path that Goes by the Coast") that stretches from Wailua Town past Kealia Beach Point with amazing surf and spectacular views! Or, do some shopping at some of the best locally owned shops on Kauai. Dine in amazing restaurants or cook your own food in our large, newly decorated kitchen/common areas. We have two dorm rooms with ten beds, women's only dorms, four private rooms (inside the dorms), and two deluxe rooms. All dorms have a private room and a shared bath en-suite. The two deluxe rooms are in the main house, share a bathroom and do not have restrictions on kitchen hours. We have common areas available to all registered guests that include lanai (covered patio), several garden seating areas, hammock and TV room. Snorkel gear, kayaks, and Free WiFi is provided for all registered guests. Please, registered guests and new check ins only. *We most always have room for walk-ins 3pm-9pm, aloha! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kauai International Hotel Kapaa
- Honu'Ea International Hostel Kauai Kapaa