“New owners = wonderful stay!”

Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
Ranked #7 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is now called the Honu'ea (Hawaiian for "hawksbill turtle") International Hostel! The previous owner is responsible for all these low reviews under the old name - so please take a look at the separate reviews for "Honu'ea International Hostel" on tripadvisor for a more accurate review of the current owners & their management of the hostel (which is 100 excellent/very good rated, by the way!)

I stayed here for 6 nights during thanksgiving when the hostel was at its busiest. It was clean, friendly, safe, relaxing and - most importantly - comfortable. The new owners Autumn & Bill (a really cool husband & wife team) have even put in memory foam mattresses in the dorm rooms to ensure everyone gets a good night's sleep - I was very impressed by that pleasant surprise!

The kitchen is actually open from 8am-9pm (not 9am as the reviewer below says... it's because "quiet time" is from 10pm-8am) but they are flexible in the evening (ie - I've been able to grab a quick snack at 9:15pm - I think the 9pm limit is to prevent people from starting to cook at 9pm). The door definitely closes at 10pm for quiet time though. The 8am opening time is not a problem if you're prepared: there is a fridge & storage lockers in the eating area outside, so you could store your breakfast there the night before (note: include the eating ware!) and then in the morning just grab a hot coffee/tea from one of the many nearby early-opening cafes to accompany your brekkie. If you can wait til 8am (when 'quiet time' ends), there's free freshly brewed coffee in the kitchen.

The best part about my stay was when Autumn & Bill put on a massive & free Thanksgiving feast for all the hostellers - with Autumn getting started at 6am to cook one turkey at 1pm & a second at 3pm! I have never known such kindness from a hostel, so Honu'ea really is a home away from home for me! I have absolutely no doubt that I will be back there next time I'm in Hawaii! :)

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I really loved this hostel: super quiet, clean, confortable, with cool people, a beautiful garden but I was surprised when the first morning I realized that the kitchen open at 9am. It´s true, the host family (the owner of the hostel) has a strange rule: They close the kitchen at 9pm and they open it at 9am.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melinaverde
GM_Honuea, General Manager at Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

We are happy you liked our hostel. Our kitchen has always opened at 8am.

We hope your future travels are good.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Travelling on your own, specially as a girl it brings some surprises. I arrived late in kauai and managed to easily get two buses, with a total ride of 35 mins form the airport to the hostel. I was advised by locals that knew the hostel. Arriving there, the staff was really friendly and they made me feel straight away really welcome. The room was fine, with really comfy mattresses and clean and in the morning i realised that the location is very convenient and literally 3,5 mins form the beach. I ended up becoming friends with most of the staff and we had an amazing time cruising around the island. The owners are really friendly and the general feeling is that you are staying in someone's house that it becomes a bit yours. They have good sense rules and are flexible when needed. I strongly recommend it!

Room Tip: The dorms on top have better view and are more silent.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank AliciaBastos
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at this hostel 11 and 12 years ago and only have fond memories of the facilities and people I met there. When I got the opportunity to return to Kauai for a few weeks I naturally booked my stay at this hostel again. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not a whole lot has changed. The lawns are nicely manicured and kept clean. There is a small garden behind the main house. The dorms have bunk-beds and you are provided with fresh linen upon arrival. The managers of the hostel, Bill and Autumn, are warm, hospitable, informative, friendly, organized, and kind. I understand that the hostel went through a very negative time with regards to cleanliness, service and reliability during the last Manager's tenure. This is quite unfortunate as it is a stark contrast to the amazing spirit of the island and the people that live there. Since Bill and Autumn have arrived they have worked very hard to bring back the "aloha" to this hostel. So far, they have redocorated and painted the private rooms and the dorm rooms are next. They had fresh coffee every morning and the facilities were clean and comfortable. I would stay here again in a second and would highly recommend it to any friends spending time on the island. Thanks for the good memories once again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I recently spent 5 weeks exploring the four main islands of Hawaii. I am a solo retired senior traveler. To afford thIs dream vacation, I stayed in hostels on all four islands. I always booked a private room for 7 or 8 nights. The rate of approximately $70 per night beats any hotel offering. This International hostel in Kapaa is an excellent place to stay. The private room ( there are two available) in the main house had a King bed with a comfy mattress and pink sheets. The new managers have upgraded and refurbished this hostel after many years of non-improvements. The husband of the managing couple is always busy looking for more ways to improve things. The separate bunk-style quarters were being upgraded during my stay in late April. The wife manages the bookings. Both were very helpful in suggestions for places to go, to eat, to shop,etc. The best advice I got was from the husband. He got me started on coconut water. It is a god-send in paradise where you are always drinking regular water to keep hydrated. The coconut water restores your electrolytes so an old geezer like myself doesn't pass out. The kitchen in the house is available from 8am to 10 pm. There are three fridges, and cubbies for storing your cereals,etc. The house is locked from 10pm to 8 am but staying in the private room gave me 24 access. Kitchen cleaning rules and quiet time after 10 pm are enforced. There is parking on site and I do RECOMMEND a car as the bus service was not that convenient. The hostel is close to the airport and easy to find. I got a library card and felt this a great resource. The libraries are air conditioned and provide free Internet access. There are so many public beaches with rest rooms and showers, a hotel is not really necessary. The only Down-Side for me was the lack of air conditioning in my room and when the trade winds stopped blowing for a few days, it was a little tough to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank jjkuzma1
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Back to this hostel after 17 years. Really tidy place with super hosts an great rules in place. Will definitely come back. Mahalo.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This place is amazing. I always felt welcome and enjoyed the company of all of the staff and travelers. Autumn and Bill really make this place feel like a true home away from home. Several nights we had get togethers, bonfires, even a salsa dancing night. I am sure, like everything in life it is what you make of it energetically but the staff really makes it feel comfortable and easy going.
This is perhaps one of the cleanest hostels I have been to....stayed in couple in Greece, Fiji, Amsterdam, and US. You do have to remember it is an island and you are in tropical weather so an occasional ant and cockroach is normal. The beds are comfy, the place is clean and the vibe is easy going and cheerful...felt like true family! =) . I would HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
#7 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai? Share your experiences!