Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
$199
$269
$380
$309
$339
$199
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
$239
$229
$524
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
All reviewsmet great peopleother guestsnight's sleepstayed here for nightsclean sheetskalalau trailbeach houseliving areacentral locationcurfewislandalohahammocksearplugsbeachesroosters
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This place is amazing. I always felt welcome and enjoyed the company of all of the staff and travelers. Autumn and Bill really make this place feel like a true home away from home. Several nights we had get togethers, bonfires, even a salsa dancing night. I am sure, like everything in life it is what you make of it energetically but the staff really makes it feel comfortable and easy going.
This is perhaps one of the cleanest hostels I have been to....stayed in couple in Greece, Fiji, Amsterdam, and US. You do have to remember it is an island and you are in tropical weather so an occasional ant and cockroach is normal. The beds are comfy, the place is clean and the vibe is easy going and cheerful...felt like true family! =) . I would HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here for a night, after 5 days on the Kalalau trail, when I discovered that the nearest laundromat was all the way back in Kapaa (wtf!).

The management changed recently, which is why they changed their name from "Kauai International Hostel". Bill and Autumn were friendly hosts. They have opened up their home to the world.

Facilities were great. Fast wifi, lots of fridge space, tables, chairs. You can cook your own food in the kitchen, or there are tons of good restaurants and delis nearby if you want to keep it simple with takeaway. For local Hawaiian food, I highly recommend Pono Market, walking distance. For Thai food, Mema Thai, 2 miles south on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway.

Social space was great. When I was there, everyone gathered at the huge picnic table on the lanai for dinner & conversation, then moved to the smaller tables & comfy chairs on the lawn later in the evening.

I was lucky that one of the dorms was empty, so I had an entire dorm & bathroom to myself. The dorm I stayed in, many of the beds had super-comfy memory-foam mattresses. Ahhh.
The floor and shower could have been a bit cleaner, but for $29 on Kauai, seriously, you can't complain. Wear slippas/sandals in the shower and/or clean it yourself if you don't like it. Cleaning products were available.

They have a couple of small kayaks available if you want to paddle up the Wailua to the "Secret Waterfall". I left my kayak & paddle with them when I left the island.

All in all, an excellent & friendly hostel experience, at one of the lowest prices you will find on Kauai.

On a side note, unrelated to the hostel: If you use the laundromat down the street near the Ace Hardware, watch your stuff!! I went out to the car to rearrange some gear, and when I came back, the aluminum stays I'd removed from my backpack to wash it had disappeared. I'd've been very unhappy if I hadn't already done my Kalalau trip.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hostel is a good choice, the team is very welcoming and warm.
After Beach House, this hostel is much better!
The rooms are comfortable, clean and this hotel was Ideally located on the island, close to downtown!
dorms and beds nice, even if it is old
beautiful garden and yards
free wifi
I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Edouard T
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This a hostel, not a hotel. You will have access to use the entire kitchen and supplies. You can store food in 3 fridges and dry food in cubbies. There is a ping pong table, lots of outdoor seating and a fire pit. Staff is really nice and hospitable. Bus stop, eateries, and shopping are all within walking distance. Owners have sports equipment to borrow or rent (kayak, surfboards, etc). Strict policy for no guests allowed on property if they are not staying at the hostel...and I saw this enforced once when a guest tried to bring his "Mom" onto the property! As a single female, I felt really safe there. I would definitely go back, but try to save enough money to stay in the more private rooms.

Room Tip: Begin your stay on a weekday, as there were many beds to choose from. The weekend seemed to fill up and space was more limited.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank PuffyCheeks
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Just spent 12 nights at the Honu'ea International Hostel. Have stayed there before and it is greatly improved. The atmosphere is friendly and calm. The new hosts are amazing and keep a great running ship while keeping the atmosphere hawaiian(calm and laid back). I cannot wait to stay there again. Thanks for the great time. Sharon

Room Tip: I love to stay in the women's dorm.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo