“Islander is a great value”

Aston Islander on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Seattle, Washington
“Islander is a great value”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We rented an oceanfront studio unit #224 from an outside property manager. It was ready, clean and well stocked when we arrived. We think the extra for ocean front is worthwhile and spent a lot of time on the lanai, at the dining table and laying on the couch reading with a view. We made our own breakfast in the mini wet bar-kitchen with a toaster, microwave and small fridge. We ate lunch out. Very comfortable and a great location for moving around on Kauai. The pool bar on the property rocks most days. The Coconut Market is across the parking lot. Trees Bar, a happy hour value and music sometimes is on property too. The lobby of the Islander offers free wi-fi. No phone service in the room.

3 Thank KTT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
California
Reviewed February 25, 2011

The Aston Islander in Kapaa was a great value. I purchased my vacation package through the Aston website. My 6 nts stay + flight + basic car rental cost $2000 for two ppl. The rooms aren't amazing, but they're neat, clean, and nicely decorated considering it being a mid-class hotel.

The room we were originally given faced the parking lot and was located to some loud equipment (I can't remember if it was the HVAC system or something else generating the noise). My friend has trouble sleeping through noise so we requested another room. They were nice enough to relocate us to a room facing the pool area which overlooks the beachside, however, the room ended up sharing a wall with the vending machine. Oh well, they tried.

We ended up eating elsewhere during the entire trip so I can't really comment on the restaurants. Twice, we walked over to the Hukilau Lanai (next door hotel http://www.hukilaukauai.com/) for dinner and at that time they offered a great early bird prix fixe dinner. Very tasty appetizers and fresh delicious fish.

The pool area was nice, but we didn't take advantage of that either. We did walk along the beach right behind the hotel. The beach sand itself is not suitable for walking barefoot. Lots of trees, debris, twigs and such were tough on feet.

There's a plaza courtyard nearby, easy to walk to and convenient for purchasing souvenirs/snacks/toiletries and various miscellaneous things.

In summary, I'd return to Aston Islander Makaiwa b/c of its great value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dderriere
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We just returned from a one-week stay at the Islander in the Kauai building (oceanfront rooms). The view from this building was OUTSTANDING - gorgeous sunrises from the balcony which are even better from the beach. This is not by any means a luxury resort, but it is clean and the grounds are immaculate. My only complaints would be that the mattress/bedding is kind of cheap and the bathroom is slightly below average in decor/design. The rooms are spacious for two people and we really loved having the mini fridge and sink with dishes so that we could save money on breakfast and snacks. They give you enough coffee to make a "4-cup" pot every day, which was plenty for us. The pool area is average (clean and well-maintained, with a bar that others seemed to like...), nice to look at, but we only used the hot tub and that was only a couple of times because, in my opinion, why would you go all the way to Hawaii to sit by a pool??? There are more beaches on Kauai than we managed to see in one week's time! The parking lot IS overcrowded by early evening but they will let you park curbside overnight as along as you move your car by 9:00AM, which was not a problem for us since we went out exploring every day. The staff was friendly and helpful, though we had no issues with our room (226) so I can't comment on their troubleshooting.

They don't have a restaurant, but the Hukilau Lanai at the resort next door has great food with a great view (a little pricey though, and there was a wait). We also loved Scotty's Beachside Barbecue in downtown Kapaa. Smith's Luau was just fine, nothing special. The Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour was AMAZING and we strongly recommend Outfitters Kauai excursions and Liko Kauai Cruises (take Dramamine!!!).

2 Thank MDavignon
Boyceville, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I can't say enough good about this trip, the island, and the hotel. Coming from Wisconsin the weather was nice (yes, it rained a bit but it was still warm), the people are very friendly and the hotel was comfortable.

My husband and I had a garden view room yet we were still able to see and hear the ocean beautifully. If I had one complaint it would be the desk staff who really aren't as friendly as they could be nor very helpful, this includes the concierge person who didn't seem willing to help if you weren't booking something with her. The microwave and fridge in the room saved us a bunch of money on meals and allowed us to do more activities on the island itself.

I would highly recommend this island and this hotel to anyone and everyone who ask about it. Even on the rainy days we just got in the car and drove to another part of the island and sure enoug, there was the sun. We got plenty of beach time, the whale watching was amazing and seeing sea turtles and munk seals right on the beach is undescribable.

My husband says the helicopter tour is a must but I stayed on land, the DVD of the trip is enough for me. We also did a luau which was nice but I could do without ever doing again. I probably had more fun at the lighthouse watching whales and that was only $5.00 a person!

We will go back to this island but next time we are going to try another one, Oahu maybe. I must also mention, they offer free parking and their lot was often full however, they gave you passes to the hotel right next door which wasn't any farther of a walk than from their parking lot.

There isn't a whole lot of night life that we found but since we're not really into that it didn't matter to us but could to some.

1 Thank emtlp911
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I just returned from five days here and could hardly imagine a better week in paradise. Okay, if I have to find fault than it would be the tree which exactly blocked the sun for me as it rose each morning. I still got some fine sunrise views and photos, it was just funny how that tree was situated precisely as it was. Any oceanfront view along the Pacific Ocean though, is an enviable view indeed, right?

I did book through Castle Resorts however, and I can only say they were a perfect and accomodating management company to deal with. The two instances when I had contact during my stay with the Aston folks on the other hand, were both negative. Aston's agents didn't seem to want to help or positively advise me whatsoever as soon as they realized I was a Castle customer and not one of their own. ;-(

It's true what you may have read regarding the parking situation, it is somewhat limited and if you don't return to the lot by early dinnertime you face the prospect of ending up blocks away or on the far side of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace. Speaking of which, I heartily recommend both Eggbert's and The Fish Hut at CM. Islander is a very convenient location for exploring the whole island, whether to the north or western directions.

As far as the room itself goes, the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had and the wi-fi worked perfectly. And though I got a great corporate discount, I vote for the oceanfront location every time. It is so worth it, to be able to leave the upper level patio door ajar at night and fall asleep to the ocean just steps away. Awesome.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Christine C
Dallas North Carolina
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We just returned from the Islander and have nothing but great things to say about the stay. The staff we're friendly all the way around. Never a problem requesting anything.
Grounds are kept clean, and everything is within walking distance..Farmars market tuesday in am for fresh fruit. Would stay there again in a minute

2 Thank Noonieof5
Prague
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed in this hotel 5 days over the New Years, although we booked through Castle Resorts not through Aston. In practice it makes very little difference as the property is the same, although both have different receptions. Price was reasonable.

We got an oceanview room on first floor, nice, spacious, comfortable and clean, although the aircon unit on the balcony was a bit rusty. The entire area of the hotel is very peaceful and quiet, sometimes the monk seals come to the beach to rest.

There are many shops and restaurants right next to the hotel, but car is needed to get around the island.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pivko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!