This review is for Islander on the Beach – (ours was room 224)
We rented directly through the owner (VBRO) and Vacation Realty Hawaii, www.alohacondos.com manages. Many of the rooms can also be rented through Aston and I think another company. Some others are also owned and rented out through owners. Excellent rate for an oceanfront room with free wireless access! No problems communicating with the owner, answered all emails promptly. Room is in the Kauai building and is oceanfront, in fact, it was closer to the ocean than it looked in photos, we were very pleased! This is a studio condo and does not have a full kitchen, but does have refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, blender and coffee maker. Utensils, plates, cups, coffee cups, wine glasses, etc. for 4. Sharp knives, can opener, cutting board and wine opener. There is an iron and board and hair dryer. Paper towels, toilet tissue, dish detergent, sponge, & toiletries. Towels are thick and soft. 2 beach/pool towels provided. The bed/linens were very comfortable and the room as well. There is free wireless internet in this particular room. There is a sofa that opens to full size bed and table with 2 chairs. There is also a table with 2 chairs on the lanai. The bathroom is a very good size with a curved shower rod, which is nice. The hot water was excellent! This condo was the perfect size for us. Clean and comfortable. I think all the rooms are pretty much the same as far as furniture included and kitchen items.
As stated in other reviews and by doing research, if you are looking for it, this is not a resort with numerous amenities. We were on a tight budget this trip and room 224 fit us perfectly. There is a pool, not huge but sufficeint for cooling off when needed, and a hot tub, gas grills, beach chairs, poolside bar. You cannot take alcoholic beverages away from the pool area though, not sure what that is about since you could buy alcohol and take it to your room and make it yourself. The beach is not a swimming beach if you’re looking for that, though we did see people out there. There is a laundry on site, so you don’t have to pack a lot of clothes. We did not have daily maid service since we rented through owner, could have paid extra for that, but it is not needed. Parking is an issue at night (because of people coming to Trees bar right next door), but security assists you. We did go to the front desk for a parking pass as instructed by security, and got that with no hassle, even though we were not checking in through them (went straight to our room). Not real sure why you need the pass though, since the Trees customers can park there as well with no pass. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, people were always outside working. It is also quiet here. We saw a monk seal right outside our door on the beach the first morning here! Since we never saw another one the entire trip, we were very pleased! Sunrise was awesome the first 4 days before rain started.
The owner of this condo also owns the one next door, room 225 and both can be rented together, connecting doors. Coconut Marketplace is right across the parking lot with restaurants and shops, you can perform a search to get info on them. Many of the shops have closed and my husband I wondered if it wasn’t because many of them carry the same items. Grocery stores and other shops, drug store, etc., are about a mile away on the left side of the highway. I filled out a Safeway card form from online and took it with me, only took a minute to get my savings card. Some prices were sticker shock, others not. We got 24 bottled waters for 3.99, about what it is at home, but bread, milk, etc. about twice as much. I opened a pack of sliced cheddar cheese back at room and bottom half was covered with mold, despite 2/11 expiration date. May be good idea to inspect stuff as best you can before buying. There is a Wal-mart about 15 minutes away in Lihue. We shopped there for some candy souvenirs and they had the best prices between ABC, Longs & Whalers on those types of items.
As stated in other reviews, there is no elevator, but the stairs were not hard to climb as long as you do not have disabilities that would prevent that. The Islander does have ground floor rooms, but I assume you’d need to rent those through Aston.
The location of the Islander was ideal for us as it is central to the island and made it easier for us to drive all the way north on one day, and all the way south another day. That would have been a lot of driving if we stayed on one end of the island. We only experienced traffic issues one afternoon and it was not too bad, broke up in about 10 minutes, through Kapaa.
We would not hesitate to stay at this condo again nor to recommend it. It was ideal for us. All of the staff we encountered while walking about were friendly. The location was perfect for our needs. If you are looking for a laid back place without amenities, and with great views at a great price this is it! Please feel free to email with any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a stunning oceanfront location, Aston Islander on the Beach offers true island hospitality with warm service and convenient amenities. Contemporary tropical-inspired guest rooms include air-conditioning and private balconies. Sitting on six acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, Aston Islander on the Beach features a sparkling pool with a poolside bar, lush gardens for strolling, and a beautiful beachfront location - popular for viewing Hawaiian monk seals. Enjoy the convenience of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace's 60 boutiques and restaurants. It's impressive oceanfront and plantation-style charm make this relaxing resort the most enticing retreat on Kauai. Please note: The hotel collects a daily amenity fee which includes DVD movies and Playstation 3 game rentals, Airport Shuttle service (must call hotel direct at least 24-72 hours in advance to make arrangements), a refreshing welcome drink per guest, daily newspaper, daily coffee and tea, in-room safe, WiFi internet, and local & toll-free calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aston Islander on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Islander On The Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Resortquest Islander Beach Kauai
- Islander Beach Kauai
- Aston Islander On The Beach Kauai/Kapaa