“nice hotel, good location”

Aston Islander on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband, my one year old and myself recently stayed at this property. Overall, it was a nice hotel and very convenient to many of the places we wanted to visit. It was also within walking distance of the coconut market place which came in handy during our down time and my son's naps. We were given a nicer room than we reserved which was wonderful. The view was beautiful and the room was clean. The buildings have no elevators which makes hauling all your luggage difficult and there is limited parking in the evenings. They have you park in fire zones when they run out of open stalls which doesn't seem right. The pool (like many others we tried) was cold and a bit small.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Shawnalf

Reviewed October 21, 2010

The good: the Aston's location was central for the island and it resides in a charming town.

The bad: I signed about 4 waivers before I even stepped foot in my very outdated and dingy room; you are advised not to swim at their beach; and, the staff was unhelpful.

I was a solo traveler and wanted to see Kauai. On the other islands I stayed at hostels which it terms of cleanliness were on par with the Aston--which is sad. I stayed at the Aston because Kauai's hostels have a very bad reputation and needless to say I was very excited to spend the last stretch of my Hawaiian vacation in a hotel.

It wasn't that the Aston was bad but it just was not very good. That being said I booked my stay through Priceline and got what I paid for but I would not pay full price for this hotel and feel sorry for anyone that did. Would I stay here again: yes--but only for the price I paid.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelsRound
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is a very laid back hotel! The beach front units are wonderful. Enough supplies in the room to enjoy a continental breakfast on balcony. There is a convenience store off the parking lot and nearby grocery stores. Vons Club in the states is the same at the Safeway market there. No restaurant on site, but some within walking distance. Parking always worked out, but can get a little tight at night due to the Trees Bar in their parking lot. The attendants will help you. Try the new restaurant at Kilohana Plantation called 22*. It is farm to table and all amazingly fresh! This was our 2nd trip to Kauai and we would stay here again.

3  Thank rabbitma
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is right on the beach and also right next to the Coconut Marketplace off the main highway. Also close to grocery stores and good dining options. Very convenient. The location in Kapaa was perfect, central for seeing the whole island: Close to the airport, great access to hiking, and driving to either the north or south shores took an hour or less. Has free parking.
The hotel itself has decent grounds, and the rooms are small and not fancy (how much time do you really spend in your room in Kauai anyhow). Toiletries are very low-end- bring your own. We had to buy conditioner at the local supermarket. Lobby has internet- $1 for 5 minutes while we were there.
We had a minor problem with the service- on Sunday, housekeeping did not come to service our room. We asked the front desk if they could come and they basically said no, that housekeeping was too busy. We returned in the early afternoon the next day when our room still hadn't been serviced since Saturday and made another request. They had the nerve to allege that they had serviced our room and the front desk asked repeatedly if "we were sure" the room hadn't been cleaned. We were like...um no...we're not making it up. Finally when I complained that there was a cockroach in our bathroom, while new guests checking in to the hotel were standing behind us, they begrudgingly they obliged to clean the room....hmmm.
Only other negative is that they don't do late check out, they will charge you $50.

3  Thank lanakila27
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is deceivingly wonderful! My husband and I stay here each year when we visit Kauai. With tile floors, Kitchenette and granite counter tops, you just can't beat it for the price! Get an ocean front room! Inexpensive and you can't beat the price for the view! And you have great shopping and dining within walking distance. Pool side bar, and very quiet, relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ScubaDude_Ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed in an ocean front room on the third floor and I have never had such a great location. The view dominated the room and the sound of the waves lulled us to sleep every night. The room wasn't fancy, but had a fridge, microwave, and basic utensils to make staying in a possibility. I thought the service at the hotel was great and they even had a laundry room which came in handy. Kapaa is halfway between both ends of the island and we took advantage of many of the businesses and restaurants here. Next door to the Islander is a good restaurant, Hukilau, and we also enjoyed The Eastside and Kauai Pasta in Kapaa for meals. We walked to the Coconut Marketplace for our souvenirs and enjoyed martini happy hour at Trees--all a short walk from the hotel. We came to Kauai to see the island not the hotel, but the Islander turned out to be a great deal for the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucky063
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Loved it. The staff was friendly and helpfuf. Grounds were well groomed, beautiful. We were on the third floor, stairs only but, no problem. Worth the walk up. The view of the ocean was great. We sat on the balcony every morning and night. In the evening we would take a short walk to the ocean, sit on the long folding chairs they had ready on the beach, relaxed and watched the waves roll in.
Parking can be a small problem if you arrive late, but they took care of that also. Giving you a pass to hang from your window to park just about anywhere. No problem.
I was suprised to find all the supplies I needed to eat from, dishes, silverware everything except a stove. Had a microwave and mini fridge. They even had dish soap, wow.
Yes, we will return.
Thank you staff for a wonderful stay. We appreciate your kindness. Thanks Sue !!
Mr. and Mrs Waters Rm. 309

2  Thank Loris W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!